iKo's digi & trad sketchbook
Hi!
I've been coasting and not learning anything for a few years so I'm hoping to bust a nut and actually grind down from now on. I'm totally lacking in a lot of basic everything.
Any form of crit is greatly appreciated!

I'll be posting complete basic-learning stuff as well as digital and traditional sketches. I like to paint in oils but lately I'm doing a lot more digital painting and drawing, and that stuff does tend to look a little bit cgi anime (which I'm trying to minimize).

Anyway here's pretty much stuff from this week, aside from the digital study.

[Image: dspyxtu.jpg?1][Image: mKT2fH6.jpg?1][Image: iLXYZtE.jpg?1][Image: OtHV1LK.jpg?1]

[Image: S3HJvus.jpg][Image: 9Qfp0K8.jpg][Image: iNkRiyr.png] I wasn't too happy with this final face!

Please let me know if I'm formatting this all wrong, thank you!
Crit of any kind is super appreciated, of course.
Hey there, welcome to CD.
Seems like you have a really good grasp of anatomy already, the proportions on all studies seems to work out, just the lines are kinda wonky in some places but if you keep practicing it'll get better soon enough. :)

Hi Rafa, thanks so much.
I really do struggle with lines in general! But I'll keep at it c:

Today and last night:
[Image: mESevVR.jpg]
Scribbles from a magazine and scribbles from life.
Perhaps before I do anything else I'd better find a way to take better photos of these, sorry.
Those studies are really nice, you have a really good grasp of anatomy and your line work is very fluid. Start experimenting with different lighting and pushing your rendering with studies to improve your digital stuff. And do more work! Would love to see more c:

Thank you very much, had a quick digital study today on your recommendation. Definitely need to do more in general!

[Image: bNDjz3h.png]
[Image: yoyQBlB.jpg]

I think I'm going to spend most of Skeleton Month getting the actual detailed workings of skeletons a bit more exact, I've always been really lazy about how counting ribs etc.
Last night's scribbles, used a 3D model viewing thing as a reference ( https://sketchfab.com/models/37a4089a2c8...2c088af67b anyone else wants to have a look at it).
Obviously the problem with using someone else's work is a reference is that you copy their mistakes, but for perspective practice I found it handy.
[Image: dzoE2rl.jpg][Image: zvvat5w.jpg]

Then I just had some Halloween-y doodle time [Image: NSh0RF8.gif] [Image: PINhL26.png]
Oops just realised the bonnet should come a bit further down on one side.

Not really feeling the blockmen, feels like going backwards more than anything, but I guess I should stick at it if I want to be able to be able to draw a more consistent pushed perspective from imagination.
I've done a few irl sketches since the last post but I've been too lazy to photograph them, so here are my latest digital sketches instead.
[Image: 4lLmxGW.png][Image: Cq9dp6m.png]
Your sb is lookin good man , keep going !

Also your still life made me hungry :C

Thank you so much!
I've gotten lazy, I've got a few things on this week but I'll try to kick it in to gear again =]

Did some Intokber, I'll replace the pictures with clearer ones when it's lighter.
Cool sb! I like the girls with skulls drawings. On that skeleton front and back drawing, the bones are a bit too thick and the body itself is a bit too wide. Id say get a good anatomy book with accurate illustrations. Sarah Simblets book Anatomy for the Artist is really good. Theres Eliot Goldfinger book that I havnt really looked at but everyone says its good. You seem to already have a good understanding of anatomy but its always good to brush up on things and go deeper. Knowledge is probably the strongest tool an artist can have.

(10-15-2014, 09:47 PM)Hypnagogic_Haze Wrote: On that skeleton front and back drawing, the bones are a bit too thick and the body itself is a bit too wide.
Thanks for this tip! And of course for everything else you said :)

I confess, I drew this a while ago and was too ashamed at how bad it looked that I kept it to myself and then just fell off of the wagon for a bit.
[Image: 0NsX0Tf.jpg]

But then after that I had a legit busy week, so I've just been doing some life drawing sessions. Hopefully from now on I'm back to learning stuff again!
But it's nice to be going back to life drawing, too.

[Image: BCN4Iak.png]
[Image: UDPSCwL.jpg][Image: eQVbpEG.jpg][Image: lrl2C8M.jpg][Image: WgMXgO9.jpg][Image: Pxyku3X.jpg][Image: VVhO8qJ.jpg][Image: m9RMDTZ.jpg][Image: zOgfcnJ.jpg][Image: jVMQyya.jpg][Image: NPgwEcO.jpg][Image: x4tZTNi.jpg][Image: 6P9yUhZ.jpg][Image: 9y5uYnG.jpg][Image: G7IrYjZ.jpg]
Struggling to remember to update here! I have a huge bunch of lifedrawings but it feels weird dumping a million big images of pretty much the same thing all the time
From life
[Image: 3UmDeTP.jpg][Image: dwxbQCj.jpg][Image: XKi50cp.jpg][Image: oJuq2mV.jpg][Image: CedcOfE.jpg?1]

From ref
[Image: ni5osIt.jpg?1]
Those painting studies of faces look really good. Id love to see the life drawings you've got. Dont worry about dumping tons of drawings here. Thats what sketchbook threads are for.

(12-03-2014, 04:00 AM)Adam Lina Wrote: Those painting studies of faces look really good. Id love to see the life drawings you've got. Dont worry about dumping tons of drawings here. Thats what sketchbook threads are for.
Hi! Thanks for your comment all that time ago! I think it's clear now that I'm fickle so I probably won't get around to uploading my life drawings, which is probably won't help my learning process. However, I did get a phone with a camera so now I can upload blurry sketches when the office is quiet! Yay!

Attached Files Image(s)