Bloodsports- looking forward
I agree every 3rd bloodsports for a PR event would be good, I also love the idea of it being a kind of exam. I feel that both the events help each skill level to improve and motivate us to increase our skill level and pieces with each event. And with the daggers no-one is discouraged, we all encourage each other and will each other to improve and that is something that makes this community unique and these events embody that.

Looking forward to the upcoming events :).

Hey Dan,

Thanks for putting your time into the bloodsports, so much talent on the boil right now!

For me the biggest barrier to entry for me is the burden of research. The Miazaki challenge was perfect because the research was as easy as watching a movie whereas Windwalker involved playing a game on a system that I don’t own. There are youtube walkthroughs but they are not the same for getting the feeling for a game.

So some games might be more suited than others, older successful games Doom or Final Fantasy 7 might be pretty universal, but then again maybe not? Anyone born after 1990 may struggle with a too much retro.

This leads to a problem we all face in coming up with iconic designs: the current fragmentation of culture. We can no longer expect our audience to share our cultural references, which is why endless remakes and reboots of old IP’s make so much sense to Hollywood.

I would be happy to do a PR/ IP challenge every 3 or 4 Bloodsports. My advice is to stick to broad super popular genres with a wide range of characters, and always keep in mind how easy it will be to research.

Hammer horror films come to mind :-)

Daggers!

Seems I'm following the same train of thought as every one else, every fourth Bloodsport should be PR. You'd probably be on a hell of a roll coming into it as well which will be awesome.

I haven’t been around for too long here, but I thought the pace that things are going here were fine.
Also the PR event pace was also fine. I just thought there should be a video dedicated for the ones that put a lot of effort in but their skills did not make them to the finals. So you guys could give feedback of where each could improve. I know there could be tons of work to go through, but just dedicate the time to the ones that really gave their all.
Thanks guys for doing this! You guys are awesome, what you guys do, seem to help lots of artist.

HUGE THUMBS UP!!!

Mantas
Well as someone who has yet to enter a blood sports I don't know if my input is really valid, but I think that the magic of bloodsports is the uniqueness of the entries. I love seeing the variety that comes in,and for me, that's what makes its so special. If you could find a way to carry that element over to fan art, I would be happy to attempt those kind of challenges, but as of now I would be more inclined to stick with bloodsports
many of my thoughts are already on here more so to do with less frequent and spaced our PR bloodsports. I think one big one every couple months works, gives plenty of time for growth. If people feel that urge to do one they can always go back and do one of the old Bloods sports . They, after all are vintage of course. One thing I am curious about and noticed many touching base on, is the diversity that has broadened in terms of skill and how that will impact the enjoyment of the challenges themselves.

"When we first meet people we see shallows, there after fathoms"
Website
Livestream
Blog
in response to theeeee broadened diversity levels impacting enjoyment, i guess that comes down to the individual.

we all do our best not to be intimidating here, and i think thats been translating really well. personally, i like contests with skill levels all over the map. people with more technical ability more often than not (almost always, really) still have a lot to learn from beginners, whose ideas tend to be more interesting and brave. beginners on the flip side also get to work directly alongside people a bit further up the render ladder, and can pick up useful tips as they go, seeing how others with more experience handle similar problems.

basically, i think lots of variation helps everyone involved. and, of course, as youve all seen from the judging, we always value the ideas over the sheer technical ability. anyone can become technically good with a supplement of time necessary to do so. ideas are the gold. ideally people can combine both! and thats what its all about. i sincerely hope it wouldn't affect anyone enjoyment of said challenge.
Just an idea I had while reading the replies, I guess it depends on time you have for judging.

How about say different tiers of winners instead of 1st,2nd,3rd as I noticed somtimes it ends up with 2x 1sts etc but what if instead of that you did like categorys, say somthing like (storytelling + technical) or (composition) etc so you can place the more proffesional vs upcoming in a tier and people that havent had a chance to hone their skills can still place in composition or somthing...

Im sure you can pick better categorys than me for entries.

And I know you already judge on ideas not just technique, but maybe it will give entries a placement or tier to strive for, maybe win a paintover or critique?...

Anyways ANY bloodsport of any type has been great so far so can only improve on perfection ;) (ass kissing over with)

Thanks for re-starting this and I just had the thought, so posted to see if anyone was interested, not demanding anything.
i was thinking maybe make the pr stuff semi-annual or something. personally don't want too much of it. that's just me though