The Scraptaculus
Made it just in time to fulfill my Death Sentence announcement from the other day. Sorry, I mean my Death Squad..... Deathline! Yeah, that's it. I announced yesterday that I was going to take the laziest approach to improving my art by submitting at least one sketch per day, even if it sucked like this one. I only had about 20 minutes to spare before midnight so I was working quickly.

Well, this is the start of my journey {sketchbook} here on C&D. I sure hope this experiment goes well. Party

Attached Files Image(s)

The amazing Scraptaculus can be found here:
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2757
Sorry people, I'm not feeling good enough to do any art today. I got really sick today right before dinner and then eating only made things worse for my stomach. Hopefully, by tomorrow I'll be feeling good enough to draw.
A good start, I would recommend to make less line, economy on lines will help you define the figure better and will look more solid.

Hey everybody! I just joined this really great group of speed painters from this site. It's a daily 30 minute speed painting session that's 7 days a week. I'm not a huge believer in speed painting but at least it's getting me to paint everyday. Also, as a photoshop newbie I've learned quite a lot about color theory and the best brush settings to use if you're new to digital painting from this group. Everyone is very helpful and we're all trying to get better quickly. I can see about three of us turning pro in as little as six months from this group! Right now we have about 8 regular members but we'd like to have more so if you're interested just drop me a line in this thread and I'll get you signed up for the class.

Here's a link to the group's blog:
http://dailyartpoop.blogspot.com/
Okay, I'm going to make this a regular thing. This is a sketch from the Sistine Chapel after Michelangelo. About 35 minutes...

I'm having such a hard time figuring out how to upload picture attachments to my posts. It seems almost impossible to keep a running sketchbook on here. I'd like to show people my stuff even if it is only sketches...

Yeah, I was drinking beer and I was a little tipsy but it was the end of the night and I wanted to throw in a few extra images from stuff I did years ago. All I ended up adding was that little postage-stamp-sized drawing... That thing is seriously from a long time ago.

Attached Files Image(s)

Shouldn't I be clicking the 'new reply' button in the upper right to add another post to this thread? Isn't that how it works? Then on the 'Post a New Reply' page all you should have to do is click the 'Browse' button to locate your picture on your hard drive and then click 'Add Attachment.' Am I missing something here? because it doesn't work for me.

I'll try to add a picture to this post as a test.

You know, maybe there's a file size restriction or something... that might be preventing me from uploading a drawing.

One last time, just to make sure. So I reduced the file size considerably to see if it works. This is an old drawing I did of my little brother many years ago showing him in full rage mode. Done in 2b and 4b pencils.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice sketches. You should make the file size 700-800 pixels wide or 1000 pixels tall. That way they fit nicely on the screen and arnt too large or small.

(03-03-2014, 03:51 AM)Adam Lina Wrote: Nice sketches. You should make the file size 700-800 pixels wide or 1000 pixels tall. That way they fit nicely on the screen and arnt too large or small.

Thanks Adam. I'll keep that in mind for my next uploads which will be sometime today.
Starting to get motivated. More sketches to follow...

Attached Files Image(s)

Here's another anatomy sketch. I'm trying to get in the habit of drawing regularly in order to keep my motivation going. It's easy to get discouraged when you're new at this digital painting stuff.

It's going to take a lot of getting used to for me as I try to get more comfortable with drawing on a slippery plastic surface. I tried placing a piece of paper on my tablet as one user on here suggested but that's just too much of a hassle doing it all the time so I've decided to just try my best to get used to working on the usual plastic surface of my tablet. And I'm trying to put forth my best effort with these recent sketches; I just hope I don't get all discouraged and disappear under the radar again like last time.

Attached Files Image(s)

I was supposed to upload a sketch with some head drawings on it last night but a wild thunderstorm struck out of nowhere and I thought better of it--I don't want to get fried while drawing at my computer! That's what life in Florida is like, babe! It seems like there's a lightening storm passing through my town every week. You definitely don't want to be making a phone call, I just learned, during a lightening storm or you might get shocked! It was kind of scary watching the storm from my living room couch. Couldn't exactly watch any tv because the satellite reception was obscured by the weather. Eventually, I just went to bed early around 8pm.

So here's that sketch I promised from last night.

Attached Files Image(s)

No one wants to receive a "Shocking call".

Anybody? *background silence*

Really good sketches man, I like what I'm seeing! Something that would help you, is to do some sketchy lines before making the lines, you know some sort of messy lines to loosen the hand always help! And then from there you can define the stuff you're going to draw.

Hope it helps!

@wla91 Thanks for the compliment, friend. I was getting kind of bummed out because nobody was leaving any messages for me to read in my CD sketchbook. It's nice to know that someone paid me a visit on this thread.

It's funny about my lines in the sketches here.... I know they look a bit shaky, lol!, I'm still trying to get used to that slippery surface on my tablet which causes my line to look a bit uncoordinated and unsure. I think I just need to get used to the software and the hardware some more. And I just went back to placing a piece of paper on the tablet to add some friction to my pen strokes. And I always warm up with a few long and crazy strokes to get the nervous kinks out of my hand before I start drawing for real, but that's great advice for any artist nonetheless.

No worries man, I'll make sure to keep on checking it out!

Oh yeah I definitely know what you mean, it took me a while to get used to it too, I know the feeling.

Keep them sketches coming!

Are there any local life drawing classes or anything similar where you could enroll? That would essentially "force" you to draw and keep your motivation up.
@yangdaniel You know, the thought did occur to me to get enrolled at a local life drawing studio if I could find one; I just haven't looked for one yet and sometimes they can get pretty expensive, like about $15 per session. I was going to draw today but I had so much work to do on the computer that I couldn't get around to it. Not to mention the fact that I got totally frustrated with the sluggish response of Firefox and decided to install a new browser; I blew over an hour just trying to configure it, importing my bookmarks, and setting up the extensions the way I want them. Firefox is just too glitchy and unresponsive when you have more than 5 tabs open.

I was trying to do a big art supply purchase on Amazon that required a little research beforehand and Firefox was just frustrating the hell out of me with it's lag, so I switched to Chrome and it is way less resource intensive than FF. I was watching the temperature rise on my cpu right when I noticed how hot it was outside and I started to get a little nervous about the prospect of my cpu overheating inside my laptop which doesn't have great circulation to begin with. It's almost 8 pm and I'm still trying to make that Amazon purchase and then I need to install Skype because my old art group has invited me to return--that should be pretty exciting.

I think with all that's going on in my life and my current attitude about life in general, I have all the motivation I need for the time being, but it does drop off from time to time.

This is the latest thing I did today in my skype painting group.

Attached Files Image(s)