do overs
I used to be obsessed with creating pieces as fast and loose as possible, but that is not effective for a finished result, so I am going to start redesigning all of the pieces that deserve care and attention I neglected on the first go around. Crits are more than welcome.

These are Modern Pirates for a long term project that I am working on.

This is a gypsy militia guy on a dirt bike. I know I can do better.

This is a post apocalyptic archer. I'm sort of trying to pull from the mythological amazon archetype here.

This is a blackwater type of mercenary for that long term project I was talking about. I'm going to include the rest of his team and turn arounds.

This is a study in preperation for the pirate redo.

Attached Files Image(s)

Really liking your style in these pieces, looking forward to seeing you rework them. whats the long term project that they are for? Or is it all 'hush hush'? :)

It's for a comic book I was working on. My rendering skills were too lazy, so that's why I joined. Now I'm just trying to get into the habit of doing research before jumping work.

I'm doing some thumbs of the sub emerging from the ocean. I'm going to play around with figures interacting with the sub in my favorite comps.
Notice how it took me three attempts to get the first idea out of my head. This is the importance of thumbnailing. The bottom three are so much better because of that.

Attached Files Image(s)

I added the figures to my three favorite comps. I'm going to do some other studies while I make up my mid on which to go with. The scene here is mutiny. The captain is being chased off his submarine and is defending himself with a harpoon.

If anybody takes a shine to one in particular, be sure to represent.

Attached Files Image(s)

I'm kind of on the fence between the second and third. The second one has some nice suspense and a better opportunity to focus on the captain. The third one has some great tension and a great sense of speed. Maybe if you could get some more motion going on in the second one it'll be the best of both worlds. Also, I know these are thumbs, but I would find a way to pop the values a little more, the color contrast is pretty strong, but if you throw it in grey scale it is all pretty mid-range. (But these are just some personal opinions to chew on. )

Keep it up!
thanks for representing Corey. Yeah I am a little heavy handed with color these days. I stuck with tonal work for too long and now I'm making an effort to really explore color. Especially in the thumbnail stage and even more so when I'm conveying high energy. I think my tastes are shifting towards colorful work too. In the end the tones will come in and drop the saturation.

I just did a moby francke study. After close examination I can see that he starts with gouache and adds color in ps. I know it's not perfect, but I think I took it as far as my abilities would let me.

Attached Files Image(s)

Like your style keep at it !
Also pretty good moby francke study.

Thanks knut. I'm glad you like my style, I'll just have to keep working until everybody else agrees.

This is the middle of the beginning. For some reason the captain was giving me trouble. Probably the perspective. That kind of foreshortening can be a pain in the arse.

Attached Files Image(s)

I was doing research on anchors and had to figure out how this character was going to be swinging it.

Attached Files Image(s)

I couldn't find any great anchor ref, but I think I have a slightly better insight to the design now.

Attached Files Image(s)

My first sub study didn't have the detail I need for me to empliment in my design so I started a new one.

Coming together nicely. I'd like to see some still lifes, let see them!
Man...Still lifes. Those are tough. Not that they are hard to draw. Just hard to arrange. I've noticed the importance of dynamic lighting with those. The still lifes I have done were either done in class or on vacation. It definitely shows if I liked the arrangement or not. Some times I like the object but the lighting doesn't reveal the form.

I hate to be the guy that makes excuses, but it's just something that I am not prepared for.

(02-06-2012, 08:05 AM)gangstershit Wrote: Man...Still lifes. Those are tough. Not that they are hard to draw. Just hard to arrange. I've noticed the importance of dynamic lighting with those. The still lifes I have done were either done in class or on vacation. It definitely shows if I liked the arrangement or not. Some times I like the object but the lighting doesn't reveal the form.

I hate to be the guy that makes excuses, but it's just something that I am not prepared for.

sad thing is, I can't tell if you are joking or not... But if you are not joking, there is no point when you are "ready" to do still lifes. I always feel that way with everything. And thanks for commenting on my SB, you are right about the gestures/poses.
Sad thing is I'm not joking. When I was critting your sketchbook I was thinking hard about ways I could have used my still life studies. Saddly I feel as though the past still lifes I have done were in vein. Now that I'm learning more about design and implementing studies some connections are starting to click.

Anyways without further ado This is my speargun study. I like the aesthetic and texture of the orange gun and the functionality of the double handled gun. I'm going to try to merge the two in the final design.

Attached Files Image(s)

Here's a quick update on the piece. Waves, splashes and characters are yet to be added.

Attached Files Image(s)

Just finished the first character. Here is a full rez crop.

Attached Files Image(s)