Skeffins Sketchbook
did some more NF digital sketching, there were a few more but files got corrupted

switched to his composition course before I went spare painting rocks and trees. Lesson 1 was studies (top left) , lesson 2 was about unity with variety (bottom left. don't like the forest hut and the middle one with the favelas). Lesson 3 was to design 10 comps (right)

Attached Files Image(s)

Wow, that's some nice stuff!!

In the first set, the 2 on the right are my favorites. The 2 on the left look great from close by because of the rich colors and detail, but, if you're looking for a crit, I feel the top one has shapes that are a bit boring, and in the lower one the tree is maybe too soft to still read as a tree. Like, the left side is too crisp to be in balance with the soft tree on the right side.

For the second set, were you provided with the paintings to study or find them yourselves? What I can see so far is to look for big shapes then add variety?

For the last set I'm impressed by how much thought you put into them.

I feel like I'm learning from just looking at these! Thanks for posting them!
(06-16-2021, 05:51 PM)Ash Wrote: Wow, that's some nice stuff!!

In the first set, the 2 on the right are my favorites. The 2 on the left look great from close by because of the rich colors and detail, but, if you're looking for a crit, I feel the top one has shapes that are a bit boring, and in the lower one the tree is maybe too soft to still read as a tree. Like, the left side is too crisp to be in balance with the soft tree on the right side.

For the second set, were you provided with the paintings to study or find them yourselves? What I can see so far is to look for big shapes then add variety?

For the last set I'm impressed by how much thought you put into them.

I feel like I'm learning from just looking at these! Thanks for posting them!
ah thanks ! yeah the tree was a lost cause so I ended up focusing on the colours, still after a brush thats good for doing trees

The second set, the ones in the topleft with four each ( grayscale => full colour) are copies. But the standalone ones are compositions we had to come up with ourselves. And yeah basically the overall read matters the most, but NF also talks a lot about unity with variety ( e.g. repeat the same item/concept but it's a little  softer/ wonkier/  smaller/ further away). Or another example would be like tall vertical buildings, and the unity with variety would be say, vertical gaps in the cliff in the background. stuff like that

Those studies look very good — I really love your color sense