Tyger sketches
First 50 or so heads for "In Yo Face" assignment 6. Used very loose references from all over the place.

And second 50 heads (now with features), for a total of 100. Various references, about 8-10 min per head. (48-53 were also in the previous post--copy and paste worked out easier that way)

Sketchbook

That is a lot of faces...MORE! Thumbs_up

Whoa man, crazy amount of heads! And "Holmes" is such a beautiful painting, congrats!
But (as always) I would suggest as much or even more heads from imagination (aim for hundred! haha). Nice to see you studying Loomis, he is the man for heads. Go man!

Smile 
This is an awesome sketchbook! Your work is very inspiring. Keep it up!

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Base for my "in yo face" lighting assignment. Any critique is welcome.

If anyone knows how to do eyelashes better than this, could you give me a hint? I drew and erased them a number of times, but they turn out too hard or too soft, or just weird. Same with individual strands of hair.

Ref

Sketchbook

i think the eyelashes are looking just fine, but maybe a sharp brush would help.
Really nice portrait btw!

this last face study looks really good! and i agree with eduardo, eyelashes look nice. Also a little detail i realized, the right eyebrow looks less dark on the right end than the picture, i think it would help you to make the face pop abit more if you fix it.

There's a shadow comprising her lower eyelid on her right eye that's missing in your portrait. It makes the eye feel like it's not receding into the head and flattens it out for me.

Thanks everyone! I did my best to fix everything. Here it is with some different lightings. It would be fun to try this with a new base image.

Sketchbook

Beautiful portrait, I love the eyes - and I also don't see any problem with the eyelashes, I wish I could draw them half as well as you did here (especially the bottom ones I find annoyingly hard to do) ;)

I've mostly been doing figure sketches and practices from proko tutorials lately.

Here is a one hour landscape study, just for a change.

Reference link: http://www.terragalleria.com/mountain/mo...s3017.html
by QT Luong

Sketchbook

Nice! Portraits are your thing, Tyger.

A 45 min study, terrain with some good atmospheric perspective.

Reference by QT Luong
http://www.terragalleria.com/asia/taiwan...55279.html

Sketchbook

Parkour/free running gesture

I watched some youtube vids of parkour, and tried my best to notate the motion as well as the frozen gesture. Videos are awesome, cause you can see the context of the whole action, then go back and freeze to sketch.

You guys in animation probably have a better system for stuff like this, but I sort of settled on purple for trajectory through the air, and green for rotation. If there's no green, there's no spin/rotation.

I've got a whole long list of activities to pick apart in gesture at some point. Thank goodness for people who post their stuff on youtube!
BMX biking
Ballet
Break dancing
Capoeira
Figure skating
Flamenco dance
Martial arts
Skateboard stunts
High dive
Hula
And so forth

Sketchbook

An hour study, reference from QT Luong: http://www.terragalleria.com/parks/np-im...55497.html

My study time seems to come in snatches these days--15 minutes here, 30 minutes there. 60 minutes is a rare treat. It's really hard to start a real project. So I've been doing lots of gesture, following Proko tutorials, and the occasional photo study.

What are some good exercises for short bursts of time?

Sketchbook

there is definitely a lot of energy in thos little gestures, i dont know anything about animation, but studying from videos doesnt look like a bad thing to me.
Be sure to post your results though! :)

Great sketchbook. You had that eye-lash question some time ago. What sometimes help is to paint the eyelashes with a hard brush and then just smudge the end tips of the single lashes a bit longer - that way the lash itself is solid and the tips get that lighter feel to it.

@ Wolkenfels--I will try that, thanks!

@ Eduardo--thanks! I'll try to post more practice work.

Another study. I took a castle on QT Luong's site (the Tower of London) and tried drawing it from a new angle (really simplified). I would have refined it more, but I eyeballed the angles so the structure is iffy. Next time I'll actually measure out the lines!

Sketchbook

Pro skateboarder gestures, from youtube vids. I love how springy their jumps are, and the fluid motion across the track. Their weight is visibly dropped into their legs, with relaxed shoulders (except when jumping, when the arms help power them into the air).

Sketchbook

Hey Tygerson! I like the way you are thinking the gesture, not only darwing it, great! I should try it too. Also, the lighting variations on that portrait came out very well, awesome rendering! And man, I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but I'm missing some imagination work, it's the only way to apply that knowledge...Keep it up man!