Tyger sketches
Thanks, Elderscroller! And that's a great video tutorial. I'll have to watch it a few more times.

@matt_radway: Thanks for the anatomy site! Really high quality stuff there.

Some more figures. I'd like to develop the angry-dryad-with-felled-tree sketch from earlier, and so looked up a bunch of kung fu poses. I ended up using one marker for the action line, and the other to build up the figure a bit. It's so hard to get that graceful look!

Here are some:

Sketchbook

Hey tygerson, thanks for comenting on my sb, glad that you like the knight :).
I can see you are getting better with your studies, your line is more loosen and free than the first studies. Keep the good work!

Wow! nice! those gesture poses look really dynamic!

Thanks, Blewzen and Rognoll!

More gestures, after going through the Proko gesture tutorials a few more times (thanks again Elderscroller). Subjects are Cirque du Soleil acrobats. Trying so hard for gracefulness.

Lately the heads seem difficult. Often, it feels like I drew a decapitated figure, then hurriedly tried to glue a head on.

Sketchbook

I started the night sketching from still photos of shaolin monks, but it's often hard to tell what the motion is or where they are aiming.

So I watched a National Geographic video on shaolin monks, watching the motion, trying to pause at good points in the action, and sketching.

The pretty gesture drawing style kind of fell apart, as did anatomy, and proportion. Okay, everything fell apart, but the motion makes more sense now. And hey, it's visual library building.

Sketchbook

Okay, I'm super excited, cause I painted this thing and my wrists seem reasonably okay! It's been so long since I've tried a bona fide painting, even if it is just a copy/study. And here's the weirdest thing--even though I haven't painted in PS in a year, my painting skills have seriously improved since last summer. They still have a long way to go, but this was a pleasant shock.

I'm going to do all the "In yo face" assignments, so this is a start.

The reference is from t-tiger on Deviant Art. Sorry for not including the link. The last time I went to DA on a Windows computer, it was wrecked by a virus. Not cool. So now I only go there in a hazmat suit (Linux).

Ref:

Sketchbook

Mmm... look at all of those yummy gestures! Some are really dynamic!
Really good to hear that your wrist is recovering from such a nasty injury!
And what a study to really kick it off with! Just plain awesome!
Keep it up, you're improving fast!

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
Thanks smrrfette!

Another skull study for the In Yo Face class by helmighs. (Which is over, but hey, I just discovered it, and it's really cool.) I alternated between painting and poking at my face to try and understand all the bones.

Reference from t-tiger on DA

Sketchbook

Well done on the skull studies!
Nice work, keep it up :)
Your latest study is good, nice keep pushing :) Show me the fire.

Life is full of possibilities, If you don't make mistakes then you'll never learn.

Sketchbook
dA

Man, anatomy. It's that thing isn't it? Ummm...difficult. I've avoided it for so long. And yes, I should start at it.

^ The above text was me clearing a path as to not be told to to practice what I preach :) But, I am not going to comment on your anatomy, but your line. Try and use just one decisive, fluid stroke stroke for each line you intend to make. This is grasped at doing many quick gestures I expect. I'm no pro with this either, it's all practice for us both.

Keep going!...and don't forget to have fun along the way!

Damn your painted study's are great man.

Thanks guys!

With color. Any feedback, esp on color, is always awesome.

Sketchbook

Sort of a study, with a lot of alterations. Not so sure about the colors. It seems a bit gray. Will try again tomorrow.

Sketchbook

Spent some time with overlay and color balance. The goal was try to get rid of that prison-esque lighting and color and maybe bring a little warmth to the image.

Sketchbook

Holy crap! your last progress is tremendous! Be careful with perspective, though

Wow...Beautiful studies! Nice gestures too, keep pushing it!

yo, thanks for your comment! put a link to your sketchbook in your signature, it'd make it easier to find!

First of, I'm really impressed by your painting skills, and kids too!?! tough subject matter there.
It was really cool to see your gesture and action studies. Lots of fun, and really awesome to see that you try to pick apart things you study and understand instead of just copying. I've got a few links that have helped me out with my gesture drawing I'd like to share, maybe you'll find em helpful too!
First off, this post from the Temple of the Seven Golden Camels gave me something of a breakthrough in considering what shapes the different body parts should take, and I take a look at the information all the time when I feel stuck drawing poses.

Really that entire blog is a goldmine for improving your art and gesture drawing especially, I've read through all the archives once and now I want to do it again XD

Another post I've found really helpful is this handout by Sherm Cohen, a storyboard artist on spongebob. It has a lot of great tips for achieving clarity and story in your poses.

I think it's awesooooome that you're doing gestures form a variety of interesting activities, I oughta do some martial arts and performance gestures myself, seems like a ton of fun! I recommend adding some old silent movie actors to your selection, they had to tell the story through gestures so their poses are very clear, and entertaining! Vaudeville and theater and maybe mimes would be good too I guess :D so much fun stuff to draaawww!

Okay second to last thing, if you have not heard of/bought Walt Stanchfield's two volumes of gesture handouts for his class at Disney called Drawn to Life, I cannot recommend highly enough you get your hands on them! the guy's insight is just astounding, I read a section form those every day as part of my warmups. The thing he discusses most is staying loose and drawing to depict clearly what's happening in the pose, rather than drawing all the parts in the right places. Not to say that's what you're doing, but it's always great having a reminder! And again, the whole books is nuggets of figure drawing and philosophical gold.

I am done talking so here's a pile of links! Sorry for the text wall, I should really try not to write comments at this late hour, I tend to get rather rambly. and link-happy! XD

rad how to
matt Jones' blog
I forgot I had this bookmarked but it seems informative XD
Glen Keane
Fed Moore

hope this mess of a message helps somehow!

Very nice portraits. Your colors look great btw, can def see the warm lights and cool shadows working here.