Muzzbook
Yeah man poses are hard. I haven't read that book but i have done a fair bit of 2d and 3d character animation which really makes you think about that stuff. I really didn't show it off in the fashion sketches.

90% of my battle is using the information locked in my noggin :/.

This almost finished. I think i might have to leave it for a bit and attack it with fresh eyes as i'm pretty tired of looking at it.
[Image: fZYiq8g.jpg?1]

Drawing out of perspective is like singing out of tune. I'll throw a shoe at you if you do it.
Sketch Book
hey muzz

great job on the design of this deer/elf girlie, i dig it v. much.

here's my thoughts on it.

i'm learning too, so take it with a pinch of salt and adopt from it what works for you.

Hey man. Thanks a lot for the useful input that you've given me.
Nice to see that your incredibly active and helpful around here. It's good motivation!
Finding it hard to give you anything constructive though. But I did notice that your elfgirl is around 6 heads in proportion. I think it's usually around 7 or even 8 if it's supposed to be a more heroic character.
Not sure if she's meant to be shorter though! In that case, don't listen to me!

I like her design a lot, it feels quite fresh and is not cluttered with a lot of unnecessary.
Keep it up man!

Anhzou, thanks man that stuff is really helpful. It's a bit hard as some of that stuff doesn't look right when viewed at other angles, but i'll give it my best shot.

Thanks Bjulvar!

You are right seems the proportions are a little out, and she could look more heroic if i changed them.

But keep in mind real women tend to have bigger heads than we might first think.

Emma watson is just over 6 1/3 heads (taking into account perspective in the image)

[Image: z8hNn.jpg]

I usually ignore all that and just work off relative proportions when working stylized though as i find that as long as certain markers line up it looks natural, even with super stylized proportions. Like elbow being in line with belly button, wrist-> buttocks, Legs length slightly taller than head+torso, Head cranium down can be broken into thirds, ect.

Thanks for pointing it out, i'll fix it over the weekend. (who cares if the head has more texel density lol.

Hopefully people are enjoying this discussion style of responding to critique. I like to try and dig deeper into the reasons for a critique and hopefully pull more information out of it than is first evident, and maybe try and share my thoughts so that they can also be challenged if they aren't the best way to think about it.

Drawing out of perspective is like singing out of tune. I'll throw a shoe at you if you do it.
Sketch Book
Hey man, glad I could help.

Yea you'll have to pull the mesh to match the shaded volumes so they don't look weird at the raking angles, which means UVs will also need to be reworked.

Keep at it, I'm sure it'll look great at the end!

Thanks dude :). I'll work more on it this week.

Ok starting to push what i suck at.

First up- Male anatomy.
[Image: bJnWY.jpg]

So far it's just the blockout, i'll keep pushing it.

Sketch Book
It's a little weird how when you see masters working on anatomy they create perfectly ordinary people, it's like as students we begin with the muscular/sexy folk, and when we master those factors we begin to hide the amazing stuff amidst the boring stuff. The character designs for The Last of Us and Grand Theft Auto are good examples of that. Though Last of Us is a still pretty idealized with its walk-on characters.
Anyway, your dude with the pecs and the tree-trunk arms made me think of that.

Study some more flesh tones. Your characters would benefit from a little warmth and extraneous colour, though they look pretty good now.
Yeah man i totally agree with that sentiment. I'm making this dude because i've never done a dude like this though, i think really you've got to make everything. From the super extreme to the subtle.

With the skin tones totally agree, but ya know colorblindness. I'll try and work around it more but there is a limit to what i can do there.

Sketch Book
Nice stuff! 3d anatomy sculpts are super fun, I did a torso in Sculptris a while back and learned a ton, it's great practice for seeing form.

I think on this latest dude, double check the big proportions before getting in to much more detail, his waist and hips are both wider than his shoulders which is taking away the typical masculine frame. If your sculpting a portly dude that's cool, but if he's going to be the youzhe anatomy bro I think you'll want some wider shoulders and narrower hips. He also maaaybe could use a slightly longer neck, and possibly slightly thinner limbs.

Either way I know it's a pretty loose block-in so I'm sure you're gonna be getting to such things. And if you don't already it'd be worth having some anatomy books and photos of dudes floating around for you to look at. And proportions aside, the big forms are all looking really good at this point so it's just a matter of refinement.

Great stuff, can't wait to see the progress! :D

hey man i love your "shitty" fashion sketches :)
Also, maybe it is a nostalgia attack but that 3d woman model you are doing reminds me to the golden era of PSX final fantasy games, and i love it haha.
No real crits, but i like the fact that you are sticking to real women proportions, i usually tend to stylize my characters making them taller. And i know it is more difficult to make attractive characters with "normal" proportions, so keep up the good/hard work mate!

Cheers Ed!

Andantonius, thanks for the crits! I tried working as much into it as i could so far, I've been struggling with the proportions so far so that was helpful :).

[Image: TIrIf.jpg]

Sketch Book
Awesome to see you tackling the areas you struggle with, and the anatomy sculpt seems like a great idea. Might have to try that at some point. Awesome, keep it coming :D.

liked watching you progress on mr stumpy in the hangout~
KEEP IT UP

Cheers bro's

Progress!

Ignore the hands, the look like they have been through a meat grinder. Everything else is up for crit.

[Image: kozKH.jpg]

Sketch Book
Ok i'm done attacking this today, i'll work on him more through the week.

[Image: ufP7w.jpg]

Sketch Book
Hey great work with this anatomy sculpt ! can't wait to see its next update ;)

Cheers man.

Trying to break out of my usual shape language here. Ron lemens tutorial reminded me to do this.

[Image: R614kG8.jpg?1]

Sketch Book
I really like how much you're putting into the forum, feels like more and more people making this place more awesome. I did my best to try and paint over your sculpt.

[Image: anatcrit_zps078f3b74.jpg]

I felt like you were getting abit lumpy, not emphasizing the flow of origin and insertion. Especially near that armpit area, or it can start looking kinda weird. Not sure how defined you were going for, but its usually still a good idea to keep the rhythms as striations, being easier to smooth out information than put it back in.

Your stuff is awesome, your drawing is way better than mine :(. Keep up all the work your doing, and effort your putting in to helping everyone round here :D.

Hey man, good job on that last sculpt! As for a crit, I will say the hands and feet look a little large and his chest a little flat, but mostly looks pretty good. Are the 3d sculpts worth the time to get into? I've been considering getting into it just to learn and such, but I'm kind of scared haha. Also really digging that shape language exercise, those are some really cool and interesting heads you did

Thanks for the paintover ImSkeptical! that totally helps. I see a ton more problems now i've been away from it a day so i'll get all that fixed up tonight. :D! I've been kinda modelling the body on Hugh Jackman, and he has a pretty weird ass 6 pack.

Thanks Pnate!

With the sculpting, It really depends on what you want to do. It's not as intimidating as it may first appear, and sculpting can be pretty natural if you can wrap your head around it.

If you just want to do some anatomy studies, i recommend just messing around zbrush a bit, and just use dynamesh and pull it out from a sphere, you should be able to google some tutorials that will get you up and running. Pm me is you want a hand!

However if you want to learn 3d properly, then i really recommend learning how to do traditional poly modelling, as that's going to form the basis of all your 3d, as everything we do is extensions of that. Things like animation loops ect, rely on good modelling theory.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-5RWct-yPpa8/UT...tte-01.jpg

Here is a head sculpt today, trying which i did while reading some vanderpoel (shit's dense yo).

[Image: 0p2tj.jpg]

Sketch Book