Muzzbook
Cheers guys.

So talking with Beeston a ton about lighting theory i had a few epiphanies about local colour and specular and all that jazz.

A full chroma colour will only get as bright as the local colour unless it is overexposed. The less chroma an object has the more it will reflect the ambient colour, wheras a full chroma colour will barley tint hue at all. But in opposite light the opposite colour will actually dim.

So if you have a blue light on a red object, the red object will be fairly dark...

I'm rambling.

[Image: MhCBC.jpg]

Drawing out of perspective is like singing out of tune. I'll throw a shoe at you if you do it.
Sketch Book
That's actually pretty helpful, thanks, muzz!

Cheers.

So out of practice. Though i never was in practice.

[Image: XMo31.jpg]

Drawing out of perspective is like singing out of tune. I'll throw a shoe at you if you do it.
Sketch Book
Weening myself back into it
[Image: YPu2T.jpg]
[Image: ftnIR.jpg]
[Image: N2N2Y.jpg]

Sketch Book
Lookin' good Muzz, those are some soft tasty strokes. The lady above your current post looks quite high :O.

Other than that I'll just encourage you to keep going! No real crit right now.

Have you heard of the principle of compressed action?

It basically states that when you do a LOT in a short period of time it's more effective than doing a lot over a longer period of time. If you're goal is to feel "in practice" than I would encourage you to devote as much time as you can muster, you'll see volumes of improvement and that feeling of proficiency will be a nice byproduct.

||SKETCHBOOK||. Bomb
Youtube Channel (Process, Tips on how to get work, etc...)
So it turns out light values on planes as they turn is exponential...

[Image: OgBBM.jpg]

Sketch Book
ha, ya. That blew my mind about the light planes when I first learned about it. that portrait's looking really nice, kind of hard to tell what's going on with the lower eyelids though.

Mmm, I kinda feel silly for doing this for so many years but missing that fact.

The fucking weird thing though it I didn't work it out from someone telling me, I was writing a lighting document trying to work out some things and i stumbled across it when thinking about how to mathematically work out the value of a plane.

Aaaaaargh... I'm both proud of working it out by myself using nothing but mental constructs, but disillusioned that no one ever pointed it out. And now I got it I realised my frustration with not understanding is why I stopped finishing work and liking painting on things for long periods of time.

Sketch Book
OKAY.

So this is proving i need to brush up on my anatomy.

Also enough fucking heads i need to do some design work.

[Image: kNRYh.jpg]
[Image: GioVNgw.png?1]

Sketch Book
They look good, Muzz. Can you go into a bit of detail on what you've discovered about exponentially changing value planes?

Sure, i'm putting together a document on my studies in light.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZkyZ...P_bbc/edit

Sketch Book
Cool, will be interested to see it when you've finished it

Really interesting thoughts on light. All makes sense :) Although in the cases you've described, we're working with a close light source, like a torch or a candle or something. You don't have falloff to the same extent when dealing with a distant light source, i.e the sun, or the sky on an overcast day (ambient light is something to bear in mind as well).

Just a thought anyway, awesome stuff, thanks for putting it together. :). I tend to work from the darkest version of a local colour, then add the light. Basically I've been thinking about it in completely the opposite way to you lol. Seeing it from the other side is super helpful. The stuff on coloured lights/coloured surfaces especially.

Really interesting stuff, thank you.

PS, your work's looking awesome, love the brushwork :).

Edit, read this recently, that's what got me thinking about the different types of light source, pretty useful :)
http://theartcenter.blogspot.co.uk/2010/...hadow.html

Cheers man!

though, i think you are a little confused, light intensity falloff is a completely different phenomena than values of planes as they turn away from the light. In fact i am assuming a constant light fall off in the examples of the planes for this exact reason.

Also in terms of local colour, one thing to consider that a local colour in an intrinsic quality to a material. If your image is not over exposed a local colour will never get brighter than it's local colour. This is confused of course by speculars which are independent of local colour.

Hit me up on facebook or gtalk if you are confused.

Sketch Book
Yeah, looks like I got "light intensity falloff" and "values of planes as they turn away from the light" mixed up. Just to clarify... The exponential thing is the value of the planes as they turn away? Should have read the document properly the first time ;).
Cheers dude :)

[Image: NU23Zqk.jpg?1]

Sketch Book
Imagination heads
[Image: EZsS1.jpg]

Sketch Book
lookin' good, putting those studies to use

[Image: KZyrMce.jpg?1]

Cheers brosif

Sketch Book
[Image: 0iQj1.jpg]

Finished this sketch kinda.

Sketch Book