Bloodsport # 5 - Spirited Away
Posting the FINAL!

Right now I'm finishing up the Thumbnail step, and I'll be posting my progress in this thread.

I'm definitely here to learn, so critique is very much appreciated. This will be my first bloodsport and I'll be doing Spirited Away.

#9 is quite interesting but it doesn't include a background. I think it would be quite nice if you shrunk it down a bit so chihiro and haku are at the bridge in the foreground, with haku's dragon body/tail trailing into the background, which is the big Bath house :)
You kind of did that with #10 but you put the horizon line in the middle, (it would look got on the bottom 6th or quarter) and you lost the lovely spiraling of haku's body that you have in #9 and #11
Posting some more comps. I worked with Jeffer's feedback and came up with a few with a spiraling Haku.

Currently, I'm thinking I'll go with either 2, 4, 12 or 13 and start doing comps and studies next.

Tossing up a study for:

1. A white fox study, for Haku's dragon-form face. I'll probably do 1-2 more studies of fur before I jump into the final on this, since I have minimal experience with it. Anyone know of any good tutorials maybe?

2. A study for Noh-face. Trying out some textures that are less ghostly and more... gelatinous. In this case, a gummi bear.

She took her Livestream stuff down but at least she left some resources:

Sullivan on DeviantArt

Amazing fur stuffs, brushes etc. Would that she wasn't taking a break from the interwebs.

Ideas look cool so far - Good luck!
Good stuff! Nice work planning where the titles will be too, I need to do some of that. I like 13, 11 and 9 (:
(01-31-2012, 07:31 PM)A.J. Wrote: Sullivan on DeviantArt

Amazing fur stuffs, brushes etc. Would that she wasn't taking a break from the interwebs.

I tried out some of those brushes, I think that if I end up using a composition with Haku, I'll have to use those brushes. I gave them a test in the white fox study below. Thanks for the tip A.J!

Posting a few images: references, two studies and the start of a comp.

#9 is a real sick cover design
The last comp you posted is really nice. I like the idea of studying a jellybaby for noh face haha.
Adding a second large thumbnail because a bunch of people liked the layout in the thumbnails. Its about time I take the plunge and start really working out these thumbnails...

Also, I thought I saw someone ask for the "Spirited Away" text. It's attached here as well.

I liked the #9 composition, but in this latest sketch you've lost almost everything that made it great: the concentric circles from the top of the image to the bottom. There's one making up Yubaba's hair, one for her face, one and a half made from Haku's body, Chihiro's face makes up another. The other aspect lost was that great negative shape around them. Be careful when fleshing out your thumbnails not to lose the compositional theme of the thumbnail.

And thanks for posting that title image!

Tommy Tallian - Portfolio
(02-03-2012, 04:40 PM)Tommy Wrote: I liked the #9 composition, but in this latest sketch you've lost almost everything that made it great: the concentric circles from the top of the image to the bottom. There's one making up Yubaba's hair, one for her face, one and a half made from Haku's body, Chihiro's face makes up another. The other aspect lost was that great negative shape around them. Be careful when fleshing out your thumbnails not to lose the compositional theme of the thumbnail.

And thanks for posting that title image!

Excellent feedback, thank you! I took that into mind and fixed up the composition quite a bit (and started adding color).

Even though i like where you are going, i prefer the one with the ddue giving her the gold more :/ dunno why, but really good work either way!
Updating the thread with a little bit of progress snuck in during my lunch break today. I need some critique on the face, I can't get it to look quite right yet....

(02-04-2012, 09:42 AM)Samothrace Wrote: Updating the thread with a little bit of progress snuck in during my lunch break today. I need some critique on the face, I can't get it to look quite right yet....

Posting progress from last night, I fixed up Sen's face a bit and stared tightening up other parts of the image.

This one is good too but I agree with VickyYarova about the other one, there's something about it that says so much about the film. But this one works well too :)

In regards to this one adding more dark/light to it is going to make the faces pop more. But in terms of anatomy I'd lower her eyes from her eye brows a bit or maybe just lower the eyes completely, too much space between the nose and the eyes. Should be easy enough to find some reference for that to help.

Oh and I've just noticed, her jaw is way too low, she has a lot of cheek! Just pulling it up should fix it.
(02-05-2012, 10:04 PM)RachelCham Wrote: This one is good too but I agree with VickyYarova about the other one, there's something about it that says so much about the film.

Agreed! Personally, I liked that composition better, but was caving to peer pressure after a few people liked 9. But I took the comp and blocked in some initial color and am liking it more than my previous composition already. I think I'm going to have to stick with this one below.

(02-05-2012, 11:59 PM)Samothrace Wrote:
(02-05-2012, 10:04 PM)RachelCham Wrote: This one is good too but I agree with VickyYarova about the other one, there's something about it that says so much about the film.

Agreed! Personally, I liked that composition better, but was caving to peer pressure after a few people liked 9. But I took the comp and blocked in some initial color and am liking it more than my previous composition already. I think I'm going to have to stick with this one below.

Good call (:
Posting today's progress

I like her face better in the first one actually. Nice study work!

Ørjan Svendsen
Website - Facebook - Deviantart