godlike stranger
hey guys,
this is a portrait that i painted by memory (seen this guy on the tram the other day and decided to paint him a few days after)
id like to make the portrait look more realistic though. what can i do?
any form of critique is welcome!

[Image: hsho.jpg]
You made amazing details, hairs looks almost like photo but you lost a lot of form because of it. His beard looks flat. He have few anatomical issues ear is too close to eyes and to high. More of his cheekbone should be visible too. Eyes are too close to each other. Old people have overgrown ears and noses, you grabbed size of ear great but nose could be more round, potato like. If you want him too look more realistic add more hues to his face http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2008/0...-face.html cloth and background could have some hues too. Even if you're drawing from memory, if you want to make it realistic use some good references of faces and lights :)

My overpaint looks totally like Gandalf LOL xD

(06-23-2013, 03:24 AM)Madzia Wrote: You made amazing details, hairs looks almost like photo but you lost a lot of form because of it. His beard looks flat. He have few anatomical issues ear is too close to eyes and to high. More of his cheekbone should be visible too. Eyes are too close to each other. Old people have overgrown ears and noses, you grabbed size of ear great but nose could be more round, potato like. If you want him too look more realistic add more hues to his face http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2008/0...-face.html cloth and background could have some hues too. Even if you're drawing from memory, if you want to make it realistic use some good references of faces and lights :)

My overpaint looks totally like Gandalf LOL xD

OH MY GOSH :) i did not expect such a good feetback at all!! thank you so much for the time and effort you put in it!

i agree with everything you say!! (love the gandalf style btw)
i wanted to paint him a potato nose but unfortunaley (or fortunately for him) he really had a straight, perfect nose that even i was jealous of. so i kept it the way i had in memory. :)

thank you again for the quick respond. ill keep working on it :)
I fixed it!!!
Thank you so much Madzia!!

[Image: 57f3.jpg]

The face on his left side still looks twisted left side looking to the right. Right side looking at us.
His lips are too high. think of the structure under the beard before the beard. i also moved the ear back (maybe too far) added some Subsurface scattering as he is lit from the back. And a touch of color he was looking a little dead still.

[Image: CN1Jkhr.jpg]