Here cometh the friendship!
Hey poeople I'm Zafer Dogan from Noah's Art Camp.

I liked the idea of this "art partnership" a lot and decided to put myself out if someone was interested to do that with me.

Let me introduce myself:

I'm soon to be 24, male and I live in Switzerland. Ethnically I'm Turkish. I do speak 4 - 5 languages, Swiss-German, German, French, English, Turkish. Although atm French is the weakest link in the group, with the others I'm pretty fluent. I have finished high school 4 years ago and and started 1.5 years ago my college level education at the technical university HSR, studyin' computer engineering for 4 semester's now. In the time between high school and college I did my military service, which I later changed to civil service due to some complications, plus I visited the ETH Zurich for a year studyin' physics, but after one year there I found out that this path wasn't for me so I changed for computer engineering.

Now as for the art side: I wasn't into art at all my childhood years, I'm not the typical artist who drew a lot when he was a kid etc., but I always had something for great stories. I watched tons of movies, series, animes, cartoons, read a lot of books, played a lot of games... I was a Dragonball geek, a Digimon fan back then, I'd try to draw something related to them, but no real stuff really, for a certain time I made up my own stories through stick men comics, but no real art either hehe.

At the age of 15 - 16 I was using Photoshop intensively for "wallpaper" stuff and it was my first friend in the digital world. This "friendship" became pretty useful later when my cousin opened an informatics bureau for web site programming and the like, for the first time, I was doing design work for real clients, of course at the time very scarsly, but at least something. I "worked" there for about 3 years, learning what it meant having a business, what it meant to deal with clients who don't pay, who don't like what you did, that contracts are crucial etc., also, with the rising demand, I started learning the Adobe Master Collection software's towards expert level. I can say that I'm a photoshop pro, and advanced Illustrator, Flash and InDesign user and a mediocre After Effects and Premiere applicant. Why learn such a broad software spectrum? Because we needed stuff like that for websites and the like, for design work, brochure work and I was the only one emerging in design, the other were programmers and we were in total 3 people.

Then came a big change for me, the moment I decided to be an artist: My cousin got invited into a businessmen meeting and there they were supposed to show of an animated logo of their company logo. In my researches how I could do that I came into contact with the 3D software, like Maya, 3ds Max, Cinema4D, Blender etc. and it blew me away and I knew, I need to learn that stuff. So I started with Maya as it was industry standart. There was an awesome tutorial at 3dbuzz.com at the time, Masterin Maya: The Fundamentals, which was my first challenge in self-education, because it was so complex and long, but I finished it and now I'm also at a level where I can produce intermediate, mediocre modelling, animation, rigging etc. in that field, too. I'm still evolving in these branches and have subscribed to a lot of online video tutorial repositories like video2brain, digitaltutors, cmfX etc.

During this phase I realized, I need to learn art as it is the base you work from, even when modelling, animating etc. As at no time I had the option to go for only one thing, like only being a rigger, modeller etc. due to us being so few in the company and me being the only one doing artsy stuff, I needed to learn all of them, and it stuck with me until today, it means I a little slow progressin with one branche, but I'm dead set on mastering all of them.

Now, why the long story? My background is complex and my goals are, too. I don't want to become an artist somewhere in a prestigious company etc., I want to open my own business and do advertisement work, short movies etc. my ultimate goal is to produce movies and animations of hollywood quality. But as a movie etc. isn't only about images, I'm also knee-deep into learning music, that's why I'm currently learning composing with FL Studio.

So for now and the coming two years my main focus will be learning art, I especially enjoy concept art and anime style paintings, I will use those skills later heavily in my own story-telling works. Because that's what I ultimately really want to do, SHARE MY STORIES with the world, share my emotions with world.

So if you think you can work with me even if I'm a little broad and a generalist, hit me up. I'm a faithful partner, if I enter this friendship, I will see it through, meaning I won't be absent for weeks etc. I'll make sure I'll be there for you and make sure at least that you advance no matter what.

Sorry for the long post :D, but you need to know that stuff in order to fully understand my standpoint.
Is the art partnership where you do studies and crit each other etc. If it is I'll do it with you if your interested :)

(06-28-2013, 10:23 PM)will123will Wrote: Is the art partnership where you do studies and crit each other etc. If it is I'll do it with you if your interested :)

Well as far as I understood it's somewhat of a friendship thing to keep eachother going, which ofcourse includes critiquing eachothers works, refering to useful programs, tutorials, gettin' to know eachother, driving eachother one, it's that kind of partnership, there is thread about it if you have missed it.

Well first, tell me about yourself will123will, do you have a topic where you introduced yourself aswell?
Holy, holy, great hand-me-down ballsacks.

Hello Zafer and weeeeeeeeeeeelcome to the daggers!!

My goodness, my mind is still blown from reading your post. Millions of fragments are still trying to piece themselves together!
I must say - thank you for the read! I love a good background story and yours is definitely a background story :)
Let's see: 5 different languages, studied computer engineering, did your military & civil service, studied physics... learned about what it was to lead a business... kicks ass at the Adobe Suite... Maya oh my g--.

I've had my hand in Maya and all of her infinite glory... could not deal... so much information...

I admire your self-discipline and wanting to master every trick of the trade in the arts.
For me personally, I couldn't do it. I'm sometimes not sure that my brain can handle everything to be understood in art. But hey, I'm tryin'
So, so, much respect, Zafer.

I wish you the best of luck on your goals and dreams,
Hope you enjoy your stay, find a good art partnership and kick some more ass!!

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
Hey, well I don't have a thread about it so I'll just post here. I'm a 19 year old male from and still living in England. I've always been into artistic type stuff such as movies, books, drawing and music. When I was 8 I got my first guitar but never started to take learning it seriously until I was about 12. I play fingerstyle mostly such as Andy Mckee, check him out if you don't know him he's awesome. I also know a little bit about playing piano and drums but not too much, also bass guitar and other stringed instruments like ukelele's are easy for me to play as the skills from guitar transfer over.

My favourite type of movie genre is horror and I feel that that will be what greatly influences my art style. I also love sci fi such as the terminator and also post apocalyptic films. I also loved to write a lot of short stories when I was younger though they all sucked haha and I don't really do it much anymore but it is still something that I really love to do I'm just taking art seriously so it isn't something I really have time for.

I finished high school 3 years ago and went on to study graphic design at college but never really got serious about drawing until about a year and a half ago. My biggest influences are Brad Rigney and Dave Rapoza and my main goal is to start working as a freelance illustrator. I'll be going to university in September to study visual effects and concept design which will last 3 years. I also know a little bit about using 3D software such as maya, zbrush, sketchup and blender. Anyways, thats about all I can think to say right now haha :)

(06-29-2013, 09:01 AM)smrrfette Wrote: Holy, holy, great hand-me-down ballsacks.

Hello Zafer and weeeeeeeeeeeelcome to the daggers!!

My goodness, my mind is still blown from reading your post. Millions of fragments are still trying to piece themselves together!
I must say - thank you for the read! I love a good background story and yours is definitely a background story :)
Let's see: 5 different languages, studied computer engineering, did your military & civil service, studied physics... learned about what it was to lead a business... kicks ass at the Adobe Suite... Maya oh my g--.

I've had my hand in Maya and all of her infinite glory... could not deal... so much information...

I admire your self-discipline and wanting to master every trick of the trade in the arts.
For me personally, I couldn't do it. I'm sometimes not sure that my brain can handle everything to be understood in art. But hey, I'm tryin'
So, so, much respect, Zafer.

I wish you the best of luck on your goals and dreams,
Hope you enjoy your stay, find a good art partnership and kick some more ass!!

Thanks for the nice words smurfette(right?)! Yeah it's been something these past 5-6 years, but that's how it goes if you need to emerge on yourself... but just to be clear: I haven't studied computer engineering, I am studyin' it and it's been four semesters now but I guess it will still go on some 4-6 semesters =D until I finish it. Eventhough it may sound like a lot, the industry is so vast and deep, take animation for example, so many sub-branches and things yet to learn, but yes, I am workin' on them. Let's do our best for our goals, right? :)

(06-29-2013, 04:16 PM)will123will Wrote: Hey, well I don't have a thread about it so I'll just post here. I'm a 19 year old male from and still living in England. I've always been into artistic type stuff such as movies, books, drawing and music. When I was 8 I got my first guitar but never started to take learning it seriously until I was about 12. I play fingerstyle mostly such as Andy Mckee, check him out if you don't know him he's awesome. I also know a little bit about playing piano and drums but not too much, also bass guitar and other stringed instruments like ukelele's are easy for me to play as the skills from guitar transfer over.

My favourite type of movie genre is horror and I feel that that will be what greatly influences my art style. I also love sci fi such as the terminator and also post apocalyptic films. I also loved to write a lot of short stories when I was younger though they all sucked haha and I don't really do it much anymore but it is still something that I really love to do I'm just taking art seriously so it isn't something I really have time for.

I finished high school 3 years ago and went on to study graphic design at college but never really got serious about drawing until about a year and a half ago. My biggest influences are Brad Rigney and Dave Rapoza and my main goal is to start working as a freelance illustrator. I'll be going to university in September to study visual effects and concept design which will last 3 years. I also know a little bit about using 3D software such as maya, zbrush, sketchup and blender. Anyways, thats about all I can think to say right now haha :)

Sounds cool Will, I think we could learn a lot from oneanother in the coming years, I'd be up for a partnership!
(06-29-2013, 10:26 PM)zmote Wrote: Thanks for the nice words smurfette(right?)! Yeah it's been something these past 5-6 years, but that's how it goes if you need to emerge on yourself... but just to be clear: I haven't studied computer engineering, I am studyin' it and it's been four semesters now but I guess it will still go on some 4-6 semesters =D until I finish it. Eventhough it may sound like a lot, the industry is so vast and deep, take animation for example, so many sub-branches and things yet to learn, but yes, I am workin' on them. Let's do our best for our goals, right? :)

No worries! Haha the typo's on purpose - the letters 'smrr' stand for the initials of my full name :P I'm so creative... *cough*
Apologies! I read that wrong, but this is true for what you want to achieve. All the best for the next semesters to come!
True that buddy, let's do exactly that and keep pushing to achieve no matter what :)

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
Hey Zmote, sent you a friend request on skype if thats a good place for you to meet up :)