Portfolio Review, plox?
Hey mayns!

Recently I failed to get into a school I really wanted to get get in. I got kinda bummed out about that. However, that got me really excited to prove them wrong and make it on my own. Push myself to my very limits.

But I really want to know where I'm at. So I'd prefer a little review of my portfolio. I would love to hear my weakpoints rather than nit-picking on small things. I mainly want the concept art section looked at.

I'm pretty certain about my flaws but you guys might find something I never thought about!

www.connyart.com

I actually think you have some great work in the concept art section, the environment is stunning and im wondering why you dont have more enviro concepts as it seems to be one of your strong points. Looking through it though you have an inconsistency in the quality of work. There are a few pieces I would suggest removing as they do not match your skill level - lava turtle, the blue creature design (both), golem and the pink bird, the ice cream cake thing seems like it should be in the illustration section.

One thing I think you could do is that you could push your designs to be a bit more imaginative, or take your existing ones and push them more in that direction.

Hope that's of some help, someone more qualified than me might be able to better comment though. Keep working hard and prove that school wrong! =D

I agree witch JonHop about inconsistency in your works. Part of them looks like unfinished, have some problems with anatomy and perspective. You are on right path so don't give up just draw a lot and learn as much as you can. I can suggest to work more on gesture, shape and silhouettes. You have great imagination but you also have to try draw your ideas in the most appealing way. Read some good books, watch Dave or Bobby Chiu or Feng Zhu streams and absorb awesomeness :D

Thanks a lot for the feedback!
I'm a bit torn about what pieces are good and which ones are bad. I know which ones I like the most. I've gotten a lot of mixed opinions. I guess I'll weed them out as I produce better stuff or something.

edit: did some cleanup, left what I feel is my better works. Your feedback really helped my decision making.

View the livestream critique here.

Conny,
Get a note pad and view the live stream video. Your critique is towards the end, after the two paint overs. Essentially I highly recommend you remove the Ethereal Masters section and restrict your sketches to your blog; you should add a pixel art section.

There is a more in depth explanation on the video, and I point out some concepts I think you should move to your portfolio.

Livestream Crits/Paintovers: www.twitch.tv/mike086
Loomis Study videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mike086

My Facebook page: MCIII