Poll: Is this a good idea?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Hellz Yea.
100.00%
10 100.00%
Evil stare.
0%
0 0%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

World design challenge?
Well, some people will feel more comfortable with a stablished brief, and others wouldnt want to be limited or forced to something and would feel better working on something different.
Thats why, maybe we can prepare a list of briefs, so people can use them (or take ideas to make their own) or make a new optional brief every new challenge for everyone who wants to work under some direction.

What do you guys think?

Again replying though I probably won't be in on this go-round.

@Yolo
1. Yeah fair enough, I guess I was meaning in terms of getting other people on board if you wanted more participants, but it would probably make things too complicated really.

2. Yep I think 2 weeks is the sweetspot. Think about the bloodsports...that's two weeks for only one illustration most times and it's always a push to get there (for me anyway lol) . Wrt to time I don't think there is that much benefit to be gained from trying to do things overly quickly. A whole world in 1 week (or 1 day) is a crazy stunt and it would be challenging no doubt and probably interesting to see results, but to be fair it probably won't result in much that is very good. It pays to take the time to do things well, especially when still learning. Speed will come with practice and time.

3) Most of the long term pros I know are gagging to get some time to do their own stuff and not do some other random's IP because....well....that is what made them want to create worlds in the first place; Their own worlds...not someone else's. Interestingly I found recently that I was focused too much on trying to be a certain something with my work and it backfired because I wasn't enjoying it. It showed. The moment I started focusing less on crazy study and what I thought I should be doing, and working on my own projects and picking only the freelance gigs I really enjoyed and so on, my work leveled up almost immediately. True enjoyment of the work is one ingredient that isn't really talked about a lot, but I believe it really affects the quality of what you put out.

I guess what I'm saying is if someone wants to do their own thing, you shouldn't clamp down on that if it's totally off topic, because in my opinion it is a great (arguably better) thing to be doing, But at the same time I do agree that if people don't have an idea then a restrictive prompt can be helpful, so Eduardo's idea of a list of briefs would work quite well.

You can practice doing work you don't really want to when you start getting paying work but I don't see why you would ever actually WANT to practice that !? :P
Anyway I shouldn't be talking so much as I won't be participating any time soon so I leave it up to you guys.... :D Can't wait to see the results!
*bows out

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
Eduardo: Yea I think tho people mite feel more comfortable, maybe we need to make people feel UNCOMFORTABLE, in order to get them to push and make more progress :). Although i hear what ur saying i think, being limited or forced to do something is a good way to make designs. however that in mind, i cant see why we couldnt make the brief optional and allow people to work on their own ideas. I mean if u wanna do it why not do it?

Monkey:

Yea the bloodsports is crazy hard. 1 day we will be able to do it faster. I think two weeks is the most balanced timeframe too.

regarding 3 i think this is a personality thing. Maybe cos the pros been working for so long or because of what they have been working on is why they feel this way.

Personally, i like working on other peoples IP's because; a) im not a great storyteller and b) i love to hear other peoples ideas. Focusing on my own worlds that i created i find i always end up telling the same kind of stories, the same themes etc. Hmmmmm i think in regards to this next thing its like, personally rather than be like prefer 1 topic over the other i think its best to just be in love with the process of creating things, and that way it doesnt matter what the topic is, because w/e it is u r putting ur own beliefs into it.

Why wait until u start getting paid work to start practicing for the job? It just seems counterintuitive.

But thanks for the comments dude there is a lot to think about :)

So uh when should we do this?

I can start at any time, so, when you are ready guys.
Also, i prefer to see people doing something they love, rather than something that is imposed to them. Because if you dont care about your own world, characters, etc then the audience wont feel a thing. And you can see that all the time in the audiovisual industry. Forgetable movies and comics are often made by people who dont give a fuck about what they are doing.
But when the author/authors really care about the project, it shows.

With that said, i'm aware that some people would like to have a brief to start with and some direction. Thats why i proposed the optional briefs earlier.

hmmm what about like amount of environments chars etc per challenge?

i think enviros should be the focus cos they is the main focus in job.
maybe like 2-3 enviros? or is that pushing it?
maybe like 3 chars?
4 creatures?
2 vehicles?
10 - 20 props including architecture, weapons etc
and plants for bonus?

any more things u would need? wut u guys think?

if enviros are the main focus or not, that would depend of the job dont you think? :)
anyway, i dont have a problem with the amount of work you say.
So, green light from me!

ok i post soon

Guys fantastic idea i want to participate so much!
I had a project in mind from months ago which contains a world in it that Im designing so Im thinking to work on that for the summer pitch.
But i want to be part of this too, sounds cool, so for me is perfectly ok to work on someone's IP 'cause I can get better at nailing what im asked for, i'll try to participate the most i can, i'm just hoping I dont get busy with shit stuff of my life.