YOLO Sketchbook
Wow man.. so much design. Brain explosion looking at it, really cool work.

CoreyH: thnx dude

some brush testing :)

Attached Files Image(s)

Some ruff thumbs any crits would be much appreciated :)

Attached Files Image(s)

I like the thumbs. It would be easier to crit maybe if they were numbered. The values are really nice on all of them.

I like the spiral staircase in the upper left quadrant. Kinda wish the pillar didn't poke through the top of the frame, maybe since it's the lightest thing in the picture.

Sketchbook

There are at leas 5 I think have nice comps as well as a good value ratio. I think labelling is a good habit to get into for thumbs...you are going to have to do it for clients, so may as well practice on us. One thing to consider with thumbs is changing up the key as well as the comp. Most of these are low key or kinda neutral. Also might help to know what you are going for..since the scenes are pretty varied...obviously historically fantasy city? Hope it helps!

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
Tygerson: Really good point cheers ill fix that up :)

Monkeybread: Cool the next batch is labelled. I see wut u mean about the key ill def try that in future. I really just do whatever so theres lots of different styles and stuff with these at the moment, ill try refine after. Helpful as usual thnx a bunch

So heres the next batch wut do u think?

Attached Files Image(s)

You pushed the values a bit more with this last batch, so good work on that, man. Lots of good ones to choose from, so grab a few and try to develop them a bit more.

Mr Frenik: Thnx, got some more thumbs to do first but ill get there

Here are some more thumbs im pretty happy with how some of these turned out :) any crits or comments are welcome, the aim was just really rough ideas for urban environments.

Thinking about just doing thumbs this month but hmmmm we will see...

Attached Files Image(s)

great thumbs!
i always like to give some advice, but i honestly cant ._.

maybe put a passe partout around them?
Getting better! If thinking about these as city environments I personally like from the first: A2, C5, E3, F5
the second: C1 B2, B1 with some tweaking. The more abstract forms don't read as cities much as they are, though they could be super structures or something.

Keep practicing with modifying your comp shapes. Something I find can help is to choose the shape language beforehand that you will do a particular thumb in; ie ovals, or triangles, or rhomboids, curves etc. or a combination. That way you don't just revert back to whatever is coming out of your hand naturally. I'd also say mess around with an abstraction tool like Alchemy or with custom stamps in PS to get you out of your own viz. library. And lastly constantly flip, rotate, do a levels, combine two etc. You really want to create interesting comp design and "see" things in the randomness to get the best results. I know my brain is still quite rubbish at coming up with it's own decent comp designs so abstraction is really useful.

Monkeybread: Cheers ill def keep that in mind.
Krnflks: Thnx dude i forgot this time next time i will.

Its funny how in a rapid space in time u can look back and go from liking to hating what youve done....

So Here are some more thumbs. I really like these ones as well they are a joy to make. Its awesome to sit back and get that feeling of wanting to know more about your environment, you start dreaming about, what happened here and where is this place. I think these places can enrich our lives and make us dream bigger and aim higher and also after you make them they change you too.

Anyway enough gushing here you go. Crits welcome as normal

Attached Files Image(s)

More thumbs :)

Gonna Pick 4 from the lot to work on next week, any crits are welcome.

Attached Files Image(s)

last bunch of thumbs :) Gonna take 4 of these to finish lemme know which one u thinks best.

Attached Files Image(s)

There are a lot of strong contenders man. My advice is to just pick the ones that you will enjoy most. Painting by consensus is annoying. Just have fun :). Keen to see what you come up with because they look really promising!

+1 to monekybread. Pick what you like and give it a shot. You've got tons to go on, so do what you want.

Monkeybread: thnx will do

Mr Frenik: k

So i have been working on them but nothign to show yet.

heres a form study

Attached Files Image(s)

Ok so hers a back study. learnt a lot from this. any crits comments are welcome :)

Attached Files Image(s)

Love it! But perhaps increase the image just a bit cause those wide borders are unnecessary. Keep it up!

I love all the thumbnails! You've really got a nice variety of values. It looks like you've done a lot of experimenting.

I like how you number them in a grid. It might help to name the sets/batches as well, so we know which "C5" it is. Also, maybe put a little space between them with neutral gray.

From post 91, I like E1 and A3 best.

From post 92, I like (assuming your usual grid, though they aren't labeled) A1, A4, C3, b5

From post 93 top set, b1.

All very cool.

Also, going way back, your weapon and abstract shapes are just amazing! I absolutely adore the designs! Where do you find inspiration for these kinds of things?

Sketchbook

Looking good, Yolo. I like that you did several different value ranges for each to try and experiment with different patterns and set ups.