University or CGMA?
Hey guys, need a little help if you don't mind. I work full time and have just recently started college and am about to begin my second semester at my university. I have been trying my hardest to move forward, developing my skills in illustration and concept design and feel like my University will not get me to where I want to be in the amount of time say CGMA would since it focuses on exactly what you need to know to step into the industry. So this is where I need help, my family is telling me I need to stay in college and that it would look better on my résumé, but I really think it would benefit me more joining CGMA. I don't have time to work, go to school and attend CGMA courses at the same time let alone afford them both. What do you guys suggest I do?
What kind of University is it? Is it reputable place?
Anyway you know how it is with art, school is not all you need, you need to practice a lot on your own no matter is it university or CGMA, you can as well learn all of it from the internet, whatever you choose if you will be working hard any path you go will lead you somewhere.

(07-04-2013, 07:14 AM)Madzia Wrote: What kind of University is it? Is it reputable place?
Anyway you know how it is with art, school is not all you need, you need to practice a lot on your own no matter is it university or CGMA, you can as well learn all of it from the internet, whatever you choose if you will be working hard any path you go will lead you somewhere.

Thanks for the prompt reply, yeah I realize how hard I am going to have to work either way, I just want to make sure I am getting my money's worth for what is available to me. If I am going to be spending money on an education I might as well spend it on something that will pay off.

East Tennessee State University is where I am attending and it is ranked Tier 2:

"Schools listed in Tier 2 are ranked lower than all those that are numerically ranked. In that particular ranking category of schools, the Tier 2 schools are the lowest ranked."
https://medium.com/i-m-h-o/138c5efd45e9

This might help.

I'm not actually advocating for either one...they both have benefits and downsides and are completely dependent on your personal situation and the school. I personally would have done art in uni at the drop of a hat now, If i could have a do-over. Working and self teaching is probably the hardest sustained thing I've ever had to do and have had to sacrifice a lot along the way (social life, health, sleep etc)
One thing I can say is that it is arguable that your resume will look better for having gone to a second rate university if art is all you want to do, and it is absolutely certain that your portfolio won't look any better with a resume from said second rate university draped unconvincingly next to it.

Whatever you do build up that folio...that is the most important thing. Good luck with your choice!

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
a very interesting question this is. I went to university and I have regreted it ever since. This is partly my fault. the university is great, fantastic teachers but the work ethic was not there. We spent one lesson on colour theory and perspective! I did not have one single bit of critique that was worth while and in the end I just stopped going in and worked my ass off everyday at home. I studied illustration and if you were doing story book illustrations they were helped but anything else all I got was keep it up.

I think that if you are looking at changing courses make sure it is a course which studies hard core thundamentals and design. I feel that all the way through my education I have never been pushed and teachers like to teach what they like and indoing so my growth as an artist has been stumped.

I have learned more from feng zhu, talking to people like you guys than I have ever done in art education. When it comes to design one must go to the best of the best schools.
I have done two classes at CGMA and cant recommend them highly enough. The classes I have done are the perspective class and Dynamic Sketching one. Peter Han's class specifically was wonderful and he really seemed to care and wanted to help but I must make a few points.

The Weekly videos are nothing special. I mean nothing more than you would get from a gnomon vid or even the awesome free stuff thats out there. Its really the critique/Q n A sessions that make the difference. Actually doing demos to answer questions and paint overs and the interaction and how to deal with the common problems. If you were to take away the weekly instruction and just leave the Q n A it would still be well worth the price. They record the Q n As if you miss them but also you get last semesters to watch too.

I studied 3D at Uni and well .. that was worthless appalling waste of time and money but I don't know if that's specifically helpful.