Character crit please :D
Sup daggers,

Right this is a sci-fi character, the idea is an arctic ops sniper (high ranking, non-ghillie i guess), female. I wanted to give her a bit of a baddass look about her, with leaning on a hip but I dont know if it looks awkward or not.
The cloak took a bit of tweaking, hopefully it looks natural?
Just wanted to submit it before i did too much rendering so i can adjust stuff.
Hope everyone's having a great day :D
Cheers

Attached Files Image(s)

I think you should try moving the cape away from the right leg. It's folding in a funny way right behind the arm

(07-06-2013, 04:54 AM)Rognoll Wrote: I think you should try moving the cape away from the right leg. It's folding in a funny way right behind the arm

Yeah i see what you mean there, i think if i make it cover her elbow and show the fold then it may look a bit more natural, i'll tweak it a bit and update, cheers for the comment :D

Ok does this look any better? i think it just looked really weird before because i didnt define where the fabric was folding over.
Nice design i like the idea of this non symmetrical armor design :D check only arms length right one looks to be shorter, I would also draw here smaller feet, it will look more feminine :D good luck!

I think that if it was supposed to cover the leg, it should also cover the whole arm, or wave with the wind. That way it looks like some force or wind was pushing it against her body. Maybe that's your idea, if it's so, cool!
Here, I did a quick paintover. What do you think?
[Image: arcticsniper2_copy.jpg]

(07-06-2013, 05:16 AM)Rognoll Wrote: I think that if it was supposed to cover the leg, it should also cover the whole arm, or wave with the wind. That way it looks like some force or wind was pushing it against her body. Maybe that's your idea, if it's so, cool!
Here, I did a quick paintover. What do you think?

Thats a good point, I think that I'm not showing the force enough. I was intending on having it blowing the other way, so that the material is pressing against her arm.
I really like your paintover, thats definitely an option and would be what I'd normally opt for, but i quite like the way that shes shrouded by the cloak in a way, kinda blending in rather than heroic as a pose, and also I found it so hard to get the leg to look natural on our left :/
You are completely right that it looks a bit wrong for it to be over the arm but around the leg, will see if I can push the idea of a wind force and update, thanks :D

(07-06-2013, 05:13 AM)Madzia Wrote: Nice design i like the idea of this non symmetrical armor design :D check only arms length right one looks to be shorter, I would also draw here smaller feet, it will look more feminine :D good luck!

Thanks very much :)
Great spot, thanks a lot will edit both of those- she keeps ending up looking a bit manly so that may help thanks!

Hey there, please take anything i write as constructive criticism. This is a training room. So far, you have a figure and not so much a character so really you are forming this idea as you work. She has a VERY strong starwars vibe that I think will fade away the more you add to her. I like the asymmetrical armor and I think you should consider her silhouette (without the cape) when designing her armor. Make one side have all sorts of internal and embedded chunky armor while the other side is sleek and form fitting. Try and give the cape something interesting to do too. have it getting kicked up by a gust of wind. Her pose is pretty standard for character design but you could accentuate it even further by making her either more masculine or more feminine. Have you ever seen the anime, Gurren Laagan? The character yoko is a sniper and she has very feminine poses that are also very powerful and convey the POTENTIAL of action. Your characters gun needs to be really awsome too. Slightly unconventional silhouette on the weapon can tell loads about where the character came from. dont be afraid to go wild. if you think the design is too bizarre then dial it back. here is my fast paintover. i added a survey bot too. you can see how one side of here is totally different htan the other. i also moved her head over etc.
(07-06-2013, 06:37 AM)DanDussault Wrote: Hey there, please take anything i write as constructive criticism. This is a training room. So far, you have a figure and not so much a character so really you are forming this idea as you work. She has a VERY strong starwars vibe that I think will fade away the more you add to her. I like the asymmetrical armor and I think you should consider her silhouette (without the cape) when designing her armor. Make one side have all sorts of internal and embedded chunky armor while the other side is sleek and form fitting. Try and give the cape something interesting to do too. have it getting kicked up by a gust of wind. Her pose is pretty standard for character design but you could accentuate it even further by making her either more masculine or more feminine. Have you ever seen the anime, Gurren Laagan? The character yoko is a sniper and she has very feminine poses that are also very powerful and convey the POTENTIAL of action. Your characters gun needs to be really awsome too. Slightly unconventional silhouette on the weapon can tell loads about where the character came from. dont be afraid to go wild. if you think the design is too bizarre then dial it back. here is my fast paintover. i added a survey bot too. you can see how one side of here is totally different htan the other. i also moved her head over etc.

No worries I dont take my art personally at all :)
Yes I've kind of been developing it as I work so I havent got a very solid idea what I'm going to do with it yet. I see what you mean about star wars actually, i wasnt thinking of that but the cloak and sci fi armour do look very starwars-esque.
Great idea with pushing the asymmetry, will bulk up one side and maybe try some different materials as well.
Just had a look at the Yoko designs and I see what you mean, I probably should have tried some more dynamic poses, will do that in the future for sure, will just try to make it a bit more curvy with this one i think to boost the femininity :P
Was going to go for a ridiculously long sniper with some blue glow bands and lights etc on it (kind of final fantasy style I guess)
I like the survey bot a lot, kinda makes the design a bit more whole somehow.
Really like what you did with the paintover, thanks very much for taking the time to do that :D
I'm gonna try to push the silhouette a bit more to make it asymmetric too.
I think I'll admit defeat with the cloak, I think it probably will look better blown out rather than wrapped around her, as though I was going for a more covert look rather than heroic it just doesnt look natural when its around her leg.
Thanks very much for the help, much appreciated, will update when I've made some progress! :)
great cant wait to see the final. you can wrap the cloak but it has to look natural is all. if you are tyring to sell the armor design dont hide it. Try and go TOO far with the armor and then dial it back a bit.
The main thing that bothers me is that it looks like so much other stuff out right now. DanDussault mentioned Star Wars. Also, look up "Destiny" concept art. It looks super similar. Also, there's this image from earlier this month:

http:// http://cghub.com/images/view/575181/

Sketchbook  :::  Site

(07-08-2013, 01:15 AM)par gin Wrote: The main thing that bothers me is that it looks like so much other stuff out right now. DanDussault mentioned Star Wars. Also, look up "Destiny" concept art. It looks super similar. Also, there's this image from earlier this month:

http:// http://cghub.com/images/view/575181/

Yes I know exactly what you mean. Funny enough after I had laid down all the base shapes and started rendering when I saw that. I was mildly put out to say the least! Its a great design what he did, I'm not really sure if I should carry this one on really for fear of being called out for copying (would like to put in portfolio if it turns out any good).
Bit of shame :/
Just had a look at some of the Destiny concept art, its absolutely gorgeous! Going to do some studies from them soon I think, i love the colour pallettes of the arctic and jungle scenes :)
Unfortunately it seems so much of character sci fi design is cliche, same with fantasy, so its quite hard to be original :/ Advice?

(07-07-2013, 11:27 AM)DanDussault Wrote: great cant wait to see the final. you can wrap the cloak but it has to look natural is all. if you are tyring to sell the armor design dont hide it. Try and go TOO far with the armor and then dial it back a bit.

Yeh you're right it does conceal the armour a bit too much otherwise :/ I want to try to distinguish it from other very similar designs as much as i can, i dont know how yet though. Any ideas?
As far as advice, I really don't know, other than look at stuff besides sci-fi art. Look at sports gear, power tools, cars, etc., and try to take away concepts and aesthetics from that stuff that you know you haven't seen in this genre. I struggle with the same thing, and have had people call me out on ripping off designs I didn't even know existed.

Sketchbook  :::  Site