Astrosim´s sketchbook ( C & C appreciated!)
So, here is a random collection of some of my stuff.
When compiling this I noticed I almost exclusively do heads/"tops" so that´s a goal right there, to diversify my subjects and actually produce some finished and complete scenes/environments.
See, i´m learning stuff from joining already haha. :)
Another thing I noticed is that I really have to stop using the mirror-painting function in Corel Painter >_<

Critiques and comments of any kind is most welcome.
I´ll post these in random order, some are from last year and some are more recent.

Quick 80´s neon scifi inspired Self portrait done for a instagram sketch challenge.
[Image: 1-selfportrait_ed.jpg]

Another fast one from the same instagram thingie (Draw a idol)
[Image: 7-idol-egon-schiele.jpg]

Marker/brushpen drawing from same challenge (President as a action hero)
[Image: actionlincoln.jpg]

Vampire Hunter D fanart from 2012 (Carmilla) Think this is one of the first i did after buying Painter and switching from photoshop 7 (Yeah i know, but i loved ps7 for many many years!)
[Image: carmilla-finished.jpg]

Random color practice
[Image: galforsker_ferdig.jpg]

Zombie portrait of a friend
[Image: doc-sour-zombie2-finished.jpg]

Portrait I did of a friend on Instagram (Yeah i got lazy on the hat)
[Image: hempvisions-finished-final.jpg]

She wanted a creepy portrait of a cat so I did 2 versions (Mirror painting on much of this, i need to stop doing that...)
Version 1
[Image: lsylvanas-cat-finished.jpg]
Version 2
[Image: lsylvanas-cat-darkside-version.jpg]

Late night marker speed sketching
[Image: marker_zombiespeedsketching.jpg]
[Image: marker_zombiespeedsketching-2.jpg]

H.P Lovecraft inspired
[Image: mother-of-the-deep-finished-2013.jpg]

Quick Odd Nerdrum study (girl with the doorknob head)
[Image: nerdrum_practice.jpg]

Norwegian mythology piece "Pesta" (She would go from farm to farm if she used her rake some would live, but if she was sweeping the entrance to the farm with her broom, everyone on that farm would die of the Black Plague)
[Image: pesta-2013-final-signatur.jpg]

Hair practice.
[Image: shrunken-head-finished.jpg]

Død Snø (Dead Snow) inspired zombie soldier.
[Image: soldiers-never-die-art-print.jpg]

Another portrait of a IG friend. (SOK (SonOfKen))
[Image: sonofkenportrait1.jpg]

Movie poster I did for a indie film (- the typography) (Currently in post production)
[Image: thecrystalcrypt.jpg]

Quick Tusken Raider sketch
[Image: tusken-raider.jpg]

Vincent price study
[Image: vincent-price-side-face.jpg]

Zombie trooper
[Image: zombie-trooper-final.jpg]

Zombie speed-painting i did for my youtube channel, about 9 minutes
[Image: zombie-video-speedpainting.jpg]

Sorry for the spam.

Any feedback is welcome, critiques, tips, paint-overs, i´m just here to learn, get better and contribute what I can :)
20 min skull study.

[Image: 5juli-20min_skullstudy1.jpg]

Photoshop.

Redoing a old piece that was bugging me for a while now, just started so it´s still early days.
Switched it to monocrome to try to get the values right before going in with some color.

[Image: deadsnowredo.jpg]

And now the dead guy looks happy haha!
Need to find some appropriate reference and sort it out.

Going on holiday for two weeks so i´ll bring my sketchbook, Loomis books, and some other nice reading material.

Have a great weekend guys! :D
Awwwww yiiiiiiiiisssssss!!!
Most of these are soooo good already man!
off to a really great start!
I giggled at that happy dead guy (wow that sounds pretty bad when you say that aloud :P)

Anyways, keep it up!! :D

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
Thank you very much. I'm trying to actually start doing completed scenes, render backgrounds and stuff actually happening haha. All my stuff is very static, need to work on getting more dynamic and actually producing finished pieces with narrative >_< I'm currently on a couch in our cabin doing foot studies while the kids are sleeping and the wife is reading haha ;)
Really gory undead faces! I'm liking the Norwegian plague lady--she is truly frightening!

Sketchbook

Thank you very much! I was thinking of redoing the zombie soldier but I'm going to redo it from scratch with a more interesting pose, got my sketchbook and doodling away while on holiday. :)
Quick foot studies from last night.

Some head studies, about 5 min each. Should have brought a sketchbook with less texture in the paper >_<

Attached Files Image(s)

Holy cow, these are just awesome and pretty crazy looking!

(07-08-2013, 12:05 AM)AyaneMatrix Wrote: Holy cow, these are just awesome and pretty crazy looking!

Thank you very much. I'm trying to get to the point where I do complete scenes and not just head shots of stuff :)
Work that texture baby! Use that to your advantage to create some soft light. Lots of good things going on in here...I do agree that hands need some work. But your heads are pretty strong.

Push a bit on the hands and other subjects though and you will be set :)

Keep your dream alive, feed it daily!

SB thread http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3551.html
Kickass designs!

(07-10-2013, 01:31 PM)Tetsuo Wrote: Work that texture baby! Use that to your advantage to create some soft light. Lots of good things going on in here...I do agree that hands need some work. But your heads are pretty strong.

Push a bit on the hands and other subjects though and you will be set :)

Thank you very much :)
I'm doing loads of hand studies while we are away on holiday, rough sketching some new pieces too.
Practice practice practice, tedious stuff but I need to put in the work! :)

(07-10-2013, 02:12 PM)Rognoll Wrote: Kickass designs!

Thank you very much :)
Random doodle.

Attached Files Image(s)

Some studies, the one with the coin is for a redo of my Zombie soldier piece, need to do some referance shots when I get back home. Some of the hand studies I have been doing here at the cabin. Fingers are itching for some Wacom time again haha.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey, Nice sketchbook so far, keep up with this sutudies,you are doing well.
I really like your neon colors and how you play with them :)
Make sure to have a lot of fun while painting^^ enjoy

CD dA FM  MaL
(07-13-2013, 09:20 PM)Toxicpanda Wrote: Hey, Nice sketchbook so far, keep up with this sutudies,you are doing well.
I really like your neon colors and how you play with them :)
Make sure to have a lot of fun while painting^^ enjoy

Thank you very much!
I´m doing loads of studies to try and sharpen my skills, reading anatomy books and looking at reference when i paint.
Agreed, the most important thing for me is having fun and doing the stuff i love :D
Nice stuff here. I noticed that all of your work has a hard outline on them, just as a critique or what not, i recommend losing your edge, it will add to your realism. Great work though, love the retro one!

(07-22-2013, 04:13 AM)Trevor S. Wrote: Nice stuff here. I noticed that all of your work has a hard outline on them, just as a critique or what not, i recommend losing your edge, it will add to your realism. Great work though, love the retro one!

Thank you very much, that´s a great tip, i´ll give it a try and see how it turns out!
Cheers! :)
So did a bit more on my Pesta piece.
Decided i had to redo the hands and the broom handle as the previous version looked weird, it still looks a bit weird but i´m more pleased with the new hands.
Still a lot of work needed but trying to push a bit more on texture and trying to smooth out some of the hard putlines. Still a work in progress.

C & C very much apreciated.

[Image: pesta-redo-cd-post.jpg]
Quick Pesta update, not sure what to do next. might just start something new >_<

[Image: pesta-redo-cd-3.jpg]