Fantasy Book Covers Project
Hiya

I've been drawing caricatures for a few years now but it's not until I really thought about why I got into illustration in the first place that I remembered I really wanted to do book covers. I keep having ideas and doing sketches but not really going for it.

This challenge is a great way for me to get my thumb out of my butt and start putting together a new portfolio of cover work and fantasy painting, I've got two fake covers on the go so far and several sketches to work up.

Edit: Just going to leave this little slice of inspiration here.. http://www.goodshowsir.co.uk/ <--only the worst sci-fi/fantasy covers

Invaluable advice: http://muddycolors.blogspot.co.uk/2013/0...overs.html

Attached Files Image(s)

Some more sketches that I will work up in the coming weeks...

Attached Files Image(s)

Sweet, book covers are one of my pet want to dos as well....backing ya all the way!

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
Thanks Monkeybread :)

Another doodle I worked up today...I might do some more and make it a series..falcons flight, falcons fight, falcons fail etc ...

Flipped and worked on the helmet some more to make it more falcon-like, not used any ref yet...

Attached Files Image(s)

rough sketches of the 5 ideas I have so far, the 6th one is going to be the bali challenge. Also put together some old scifi covers for inspiration :D the dinosaur one kills me

Attached Files Image(s)

finalised one of the designs and made 2 mock ups, my boyfriend pretended to be my Art Director and gave me his opinion and we both agreed that the autumn colours looked better but the blue one was more striking so I'm going to do one that's inbetween...

Attached Files Image(s)

Ok, started with laying down the basic shapes and values for the background...

Attached Files Image(s)

Slow going...

Attached Files Image(s)

Overlaid colour and blocked in the ladies...now it's time to take ref pictures and paint...

Attached Files Image(s)

Dude, this is a great idea! Can't wait to see them finished!

Thanks Rognoll :D

Update - the drawing on canvas for the first cover I've gone back to the original idea of Triforce, my friend came up with a story...

3 Sisters, their parents die in a civil war and they are forced to go back to their ancestral home to protect it. One is a hunter who lived isolated in the woods, one is a dancer who doesn't take life seriously and one got married to a wealthy man who also died during the war leaving her heartbroken.

Attached Files Image(s)

Started the underpainting phase in acrylic...

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Aaaand finished! Innit great?

Just kiddin...decided to go digital as the painting wasn't working out (canvas I used was too toothy and wasn't good for detail) so this is the final composition with costume designs, values, colours and lighting worked out..now to paint paint paint...

Attached Files Image(s)

update...

Attached Files Image(s)

Great idea for a summer pitch. And thanks for posting that link to the worst fantasy/sci-fi covers; it gave me a few chuckles.

Thanks Ignatz :) though gonna be more like a year project now.

update...worked on Dragonriders, and worked up the other sketch which I think works ok as part of the series. (the blurb is just a, badly written, place holder until I can come up with something better.)

Going to get a friend to pose for reference and then these are ready to paint after I finish Triforce. :)

Attached Files Image(s)