Darktiste Sketchbook
(02-08-2024, 11:36 PM)cgmythology Wrote: Sorry to hear about your cpu problems, hopefully you get it sorted it out and recover your files.  It would really suck if you lost your work :(
The good news is my computer survive. The bad news is it still a old computer. The other bad news is i had two people lead me to believe that they would sell me their computer at a fair price but one change is mind and want to sell in a few month... and when i thought i had a back up plan the back up plan wasn't available.

So let say that i am going to prioritize backing up my work a bit more often for now on since my computer show sign of old age.

I still don't know what i will do for my next computer. It always a difficult question for me.It such a complex topic. I am already bad at taking small decision...

The good thing is that i don't feel that sad about the little i lost i was mostly save because i had a backup and i knew this kind of thing was just a matter of time.

Now i just need to get deal with the fact i have not been drawing as much since that event. Still dealing with carpal tunnel so i take thing slow i can't rush back my return even if more then ever it seem like i should that just a receipt for physical problem to pill up.

Hopefully i will be able to start to post some progress on the project that were put on hold at that time this week or next week

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Luck was not on my side when it came to recovering my in progress project. Since i suspect that some file were open during the ''file apocalypse'' this as greatly affected the likeness that they could be recovered.

Due to unforseen circumstance even those some content remain ''as evidence of such project'' there is no plan to salvage those project.

So the elvish axe project,the oriental armor project are going to be casuality.

The only project that was in progress that survive is my Heavy Mace temple project which as not seen any content being post in my sketchbook so far.

But enough with update this is a sketchbook afterall.

My Sketchbook
That's really unfortunate :( I think it's worth investing in a decent computer as it speeds things up and makes things easier/smoother. It can be a bit pricey though so I don't know what sort of budget you're working with, but I recommend something with a solid gfx card and cpu.

I also recommend backing up files on an external hard drive and online via the cloud or Dropbox just to be safe. Art takes a lot of work so it's never worth the risk to lose all the work.

Hope you find your inspiration again to continue posting, love you recent designs!

Some of the genre that have influence me early on were sci fi dystopia. I personally don't find myself invest in drawing character or drawing in this genre very much anymore but i don't want to be close to exploring and being influence by all kind of subject matter even if i prefer inanimate object i sometime want to imagine the character that would us those object and i find that to save time it best done using Ai.

I find that playing around with Ai help find the word since you need to come up with the prompt to generate the image that later on can make design be more grounded and the influence i want clearer for myself. 

Here I choose 2 of my favorite dark cyber punk chix that were generated for fun i wonder what kind of accessory would go well with them. Maybe a cigarette for the one above and a rusty pipe for the pale one that look menacing.

Those are influenced by Rachel in blade runner.

It important to have fun in how i approch drawing and i like to bounce back idea around with the Ai because i think otherwise my influence could be stagnant the fact the prompt can be adjusted to be closer or further from the keyword that i pick give flexibility to the amount of chaos i want because i want that unpredictability because it fun and it keep it fresh. I want mystery and freshness.The more thing bounce against each other the richer the design become it a cascading effect.

The Idea behind using Ai is to develop a visual vocabulary that evolve into a visual library taking note over some of the image generated is a great way to also dissect what i like.

Model:Use is SDXL

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Hey darktiste,
I still drop by every once in a while and check your sketchbook. I'm a bit concerned about that A.I. trend you're seeming to get more and more into, seems like another form of distraction from practicing your art (the other distraction being being overly verbose in various art related essays). I hope you can find and keep your focus, you seem to be getting easily distracted away from what you should be doing. Just take a moment to ponder this before rationalizing it away please :)!

I am rooting for you, keep drawing!
Thank for the concern but i think that if you would be more active i suppose you would get what i am saying you would understand the intent. Art is not all about what you put on the paper it also what you feed yourself with.

Some watch movie some people read some people go around and find inspiration or they play video etc and i see A.I in a similar way.

I have certainly been more open about my inspiration lately and think that those picture are causing confusion because i am probably one of the only one that as been sharing such thing around here.I don't think sharing my process and thought should be seen throught the lense of ''it a distraction'' it actually putting affirming and organizing your thought to a certain extent. Just sharing your own art that fine also but i am an art enjoyer aswell and i do it more visually than some because i don't like to talk about my taste without giving something to bite on.

I some might be confuse about my A.I sharing abit and yes cannot say i have not been into looking into Ai more and more because it such a grey area that as rapidly evolve that it certainly require my attention i believe you might not agree that fine also.

I am not as distracted as i use to be.I would say i am more shatter brain in term of project recently.

As for my habit of being all over the forum you could probably understand if you had as few human interaction as i do or had a passion such as mine to be of use to other.

I am sorry to cause you concern.I am myself concern we don't see you around anymore...

My Sketchbook
I think you’re rationalising, as preemptively mentioned. Maybe it’s because we’re in disagreement. I figured you’d double down but I couldn’t help myself.

You’re right in saying I don’t understand the intent, which could be because I’m not as active as I used to. It could be. Maybe more active members read my message and sighed at my shortsightedness, at me missing the point here. Maybe I’m missing the point while everyone else is seeing as obvious. If that’s the case, I hope you’ll forgive my confusion.

If I understand correctly, inspiration is what you struggle with. That’s what stops you from practicing. If only you were inspired, everything would fall into place, so to speak. So using A.I. is your way of finding inspiration in order to go back to grabbing that pen and getting back into the stride of things.

The reason why I’m confused is because I never considered inspiration as a hurdle for practice. I always figured there was something to practice on the technical level. So I guess you could say we’re different in that way. I can understand creative block (lack of inspiration preventing you from creating) but I don’t see what’s stopping you from doing other sorts of practice. I remember when you used to (correctly) suggests all sorts of exercises to me. I’d say you know a lot about practical exercises which don’t require inspiration. There’s some cognitive dissonance here to me.

“I some might be confuse about my A.I sharing abit and yes cannot say i have not been into looking into Ai more and more because it such a grey area that as rapidly evolve that it certainly require my attention i believe you might not agree that fine also.”

Concern here isn’t really meant to be taken literally, it’s a turn of phrase. I’m not worried about you or distressed. Besides, it’s not like you should care or anything. More to the point:
I’m starting to get the impression you’re slowly giving up on your artistic journey and settle for a.i. prompts (‘looking more and more into it’). Considering you’re bring up that a.i. art is quote a ‘grey area’, it seems to be hinting at that. It seems to be saying that it would allow you to ‘create’ art without having to practice, that a.i. art really is a valuable as any other art, which to be honest might actually suit you to a t.

I think bringing up ‘grey area’ on a.i. promoting is probably not going to be the most popular statement in a sketchbook section where each and every member is pouring sweat in tears in improving their skills :). I’d go as far as ‘sketchbook’ seems a bit of a misnomer for an a.i. depository. I think you could be good at a.i. prompting but to showcase such a.i. generated results as anything but might come across as offensive to everyone else who go through the trouble of learning the trade.

I guess all in all I could’ve simply asked:
Are you considering leaving your practice behind and heading toward a.i. prompting? I’m curious to know.
No inspiration is not something i struggle with it sometime i am open about and i believe that Ai might not be very welcome around here but i think we should still have a rational talk about it may it come with more well thought post or just sharing what it can or cant do.

It not surpris if it turn into me rationalizing for me it normal to defend my choose because i have to question them myself and if i cannot defend it rational well i will realize that i need to change course.

Practicing building visual library as many layers may it be building mood board,collecting reference of inspiration material,exploring theme by drawing.

Ai specialty is i would say building the vocabulary itself and building the quick visual language that translate into shape language not that i leak inspiration it rather a lighting fast visualization exercise rather than a dissecting kind of exercise.For me dissecting is learning about the function of job it breaking it down into simple geometric form it can also help to dissect the shape and recurring pattern. Visualization is more about composition, color, proportion,visual style.

You pass a certain point where you have done certain thing and need to keep it fresh so it also an opportunity to try something out of the box without spending large amount of energy.It thumbnailling on steroid but it not the same because thumbnailling is a problem solving process not a visualisation process.

As you advance you gotta break of old habit you gotta shatter your assumption about subject and tool and try thing that what i am doing.I am not saying i know the outcome but atleast i think about why i do the thing i do.

My line of work is design it as more to do with thinking and problem solving it can be done either on paper or through visualization.No body who expect to be making a final image could expect to get around the fundamental of visual art ai doesnt give you an easy route it doesnt magically put your brain onto the paper and teach you if anything about light and shadow or perspective which mean it doesnt teach you how to fix something it spew out which still mean you have to support it with drawing skill or more accurate prompt making.

I think there is a shift away from needing as much drawing skill toward more time spent in the visualization stage atleast in the field of design.I AI is certainly not going anywhere that my belief and there is no reason to believe we are going in the same direction even if we are artist for myself i am always looking to perfect my process

The slow down in the none ai generate work post in here is due to a computer problem i had to fix which took about two month to solve it was also a period where i took my force vacation because i was mostly working digitally and the stress and time of it was already in favor of a well deserve vacation.That computer problem cause some issue with the project that were W.I.P.It also kinda destroy some aspect of how i arranged my tool in software so that had to be rebuild aswell.

Showing Ai art in my sketchbook is not meant to be disrespectful it an open form journaling of that my thought and taste it not for you that why it confusing it journaling because it convenient that it here.I dont post stuff just so it can be seen or get praise.I could very well put those image with a time stamp in some folder on my computer and let them collect dust but it ultimately it not as good of a journaling tool if i have to make a conscious decision to look back i personally prefer to have them here in my sketchbook as some kind of timeline of my taste and as a reminder to keep my work diverse it also an opportunity to exchange about my taste and allow other people to exchange influence that can ultimately enrich my work.

In the end i gotta look up for what is best for myself i dont mind to justifying myself even if it not well receive life is full of disagreement it just one more of such case.

Who know where i am heading one thing seem to be that i am probably more open than most which already give me a head start in that alley.

I am some kind of world builder at heart but i operate in a visual manner when it spew out.Sometime it not straight out visual assemblage of reference if i am not familar with my subject matter sometime it word assemblage it getting to know the language of a subject by dissecting the reference.Ai is similar to refining a research on google but ai tool were intended to be use as an artist tool it like what the difference between pinterest and googling... with Ai the difference which i find useful for myself is that i dont get distracted when i am doing my research phase which mean i dont use as much happy accident as other people might to create my visual.But i can control the level of happy accident if need be with just a few adjustment in my ai tool if need be.

Why do some prefer painting over drawing... it boil down to who we are and what we need to do.

Let try not to see were difference as insult to what we are.But rather let see those difference as tool to learn about other and wereselve.

My Sketchbook