Darktiste Sketchbook
I hear what you're saying. My philosophy is to take the time that it takes for you to get it right (within reason, don't be obsessive.) But if you can't get something right in 5 hours, you can't hope to do the same thing in 5 minutes. You don't know how long something really takes you to do accurately unless you actually do it.

I say practice getting it right, otherwise you're practicing getting it wrong, which will damage you in the long run.

On lengthly studies: It can turn into just mindless grinding. But done right it's more like you're doing several studies on the same image. With each step you are studying something else, so it can be extremely rewarding.  Patience is a skill. You have to develop over time. It's something I really struggle with myself.

"One of the problem with accuracy without mileage it that it will slow down a beginner like me and if you add a time frame to that it result into sloppyness"

Yes but it's not a "problem". It's a fact that needs to be taken account of. I agree with Joseph. That's why it's not a good choice to impose an arbitrary time limit so low that it constrains your ability to actually focus properly on what the study is about. Doing more of this kind of thing is a waste of that time that you think you are saving in the first place. Do you want to learn how to do something half assed for half the value in half the time, or spend the right amount of time and get the most you can out of the study goal? Definitely something to find a balance for. I say start without time limits, figure out how long you need to actually get what you want out of the type of study, then start restricting time if you really want to for some reason or are noodling too much and being inefficient.

In general if you are studying other people's work, for sure copying for the sake of it isn't good. However accuracy to the study is all about expanding one's observational skills for specific reasons (value simplification, or colour or form or whatever). But being accurate doesn't mean you are automatically copying exactly for the sake of it. What you are doing is trying to condense the observational practice into concepts or ideas and an actual process (because you are painting it) that you internalise for yourself and can then use for your own work later. However If you don't practice any form of accurate observational standard in your study you probably won't even be extracting a 10th of the learning value you could have out of that study however long it may take you.

You cannot short time education well. usually it ends up in learning things badly that need to be fixed later, or having to redo things over and over. The fundamentals are the same no matter if you are a concept artist or illustrator. If you don't learn them properly you'll be a worse artist overall. it's not about what role you want to get a job doing.

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
(08-16-2018, 02:26 PM)JosephCow Wrote: On lengthly studies: It can turn into just mindless grinding. But done right it's more like you're doing several studies on the same image. With each step you are studying something else, so it can be extremely rewarding.  Patience is a skill. You have to develop over time. It's something I really struggle with myself

Yea i have notice that i tend to focus on one fundamental at a time if i can.My brain doen't like to deal with many fundamental at once.That why i don't consider myself an illustrator but rather a concept artist.

- Amit Dutta 
Well said a bit hard for me to decipher since english it not my first language but i am glad someone with such a precise language is taking time to help me.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Just archieving my old stuff in here even if they might be to sloppy.Just so that i can see my progression overtime since i don't want to overcrowd my computer with junk.Definitvely the more object in a scene the hard it become.What is specially hard is those reproduce those dome in a short amount of time.What also hard is organic shape it much hard to get the proportion down fast than it is to establish made made object that are more geometric.One of the thing that is also slowing me down is perspective.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Archieve part 2.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Just Artchieving part 3.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Just Artchieving part 4.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Just experimenting and i was really feeling good about the mood that was in here.It not much but it like we just landed near a road leading to paradise.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
While playing with my brush i tried to work on that Gud Bark texture that i love so much.I also tried to do a moss ball.I finish with a attemp to draw a full tree slowly getting there i believe just need more attempt.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Just Artchieving part 5

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Working on that Green Money

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Gotta make my own road sometime.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Sometime you just feel rusty like this piece of metal

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Just Artchieving part 6

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
I realize that you are just uploading work you've already done, not new stuff. But moving forward you gotta change what you're doing. The last ones you've uploaded have the grouping of the values pretty confused. One of the problems is that, while you can do this study with anything, these paintings that you're studying do not have good 3 value compositions. They require quite a bit of 'interpretation' in order to do the study. Go for simple subjects and paintings that are clearly composed. 

Even the most simple subject can cause problems until you grasp the concept better.

Attached Files Image(s)

I see youre doing lots of studies of 3 tones, why not create one?

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
Hi guy yes like said before this are just my personal archieve it not my current understanding of value. I am currently working on my texture brush and will be working toward color theory probably looping back into bit more value but i allready have a pre meditated path so it might take time before value come back in my study maybe it should play a bigger part of my study i just think it best to diversify my approch and then go back when something hit my nerve to much.One of the main point i realize on value is that you have to merge certain value in one when you limit the value that why it important to squint.One of my main problem was that i was trying to show more form then i should.This push me to use incorrect value to separate object to make there form read.

@fedodika because i am goal oriented toward learning about value not focusing on many other fundamental.This why studying from an image was more appropirate.Well i barely started understanding value how to separate my value.When you say create one what do you mean exactly for my point of view you mean like a still life?If you mean still life it would be hard for me as it require a space that i don't seem to have.

My Sketchbook
Just Artchieving part 6

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
You're going to work on value fundamentals by not doing value study, but working on badly cloned texture brush stuff and colour theory?  
I have to say it, perhaps your premeditated schedule of study is not really focusing on the important things.  Variety is good, but you probably should spend a bit more time on things before you move on. "because i am goal oriented toward learning about value not focusing on many other fundamental."
I haven't seen a single decent value study yet. What goal are you hitting there?

There's not much point posting old stuff if all you're gonna be able to say is basically "I'm better than this now." You're taking all the benefit you might get out of the critique factor by posting old news. Why not post all that archived stuff, in one go, and start posting actual current studies that are reflective of your current skill

And again. You will not get to the end of a marathon if you try and sprint all the way

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
Just Artchieving part 7

Lost for word.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook