Darktiste Sketchbook
Yea sometime i am not a big fan of contrast i tried not to use an over power background but i guess i was way off your as a nice balance.Thank i will try to do better your did a great job to put attention on the axe head.Your also helped show more of that scratchy texture i putted in there.I see the reason why i choose to lower the contrast you can see some pixellisation in the inside curvature of the axe. Something i should have not had problem fixing but somehow didn't and cut corner silly me...

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Some new thumbnail with the theme:Modern pistol

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Second one, compact and streamlined.

Some new thumbnail with the theme:Modern assault rifle

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
I'd pick the last one, the outline evokes a hulky submarine.
By the way "compact and streamlined" in my previous post is probably an oxymoron... I guess I meant "compact and clear-lined."

Some new thumbnail with the theme:Modern shotgun

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
From the pistols the one that stood out to me the most was the bottom left one. All look right to me proportionally and silhouette wise but that one jumped because the magazine/grip design shape is different and it has a tapering effect of the frame towards the muzzle, it actually makes it look a bit retro-futuristic?

The rifles also look spot on and I like specially the middle left one because of the curving near the stock/receiver? I like that curving shape of it, all other rifles in contrast are quite straight overall. I would say I don't like use-wise to have the mag behind the trigger, visually looks cool but functionally looks convoluted. Having to put your hand on your armpit to pull it out and stuff ha ha.

The shotguns also good shapes and proportions! Damn you are rocking them. The top-right one looks almost like a bolt-action rifle, but also like a hunting shotgun so it's an interesting cross-over!

I gotta say, I'm not a gun expert so, just a layman view on things!
(11-11-2019, 05:26 AM)Rotohail Wrote: The rifles also look spot on and I like specially the middle left one because of the curving near the stock/receiver? I like that curving shape of it, all other rifles in contrast are quite straight overall. I would say I don't like use-wise to have the mag behind the trigger, visually looks cool but functionally looks convoluted. Having to put your hand on your armpit to pull it out and stuff ha ha.
It not that of a problem since there a release mechanism for the magasine to fall out the only problem is putting the magasine in.Anyways i try not to focus to much on the ergonomie but i try not to break it also.What i try to focus more is not to make an object to heavy on one side or the other trying to balance the shape and create interesting silhouette so excuse me if some of them are boring it probably due to balance but also believably play a role in the decision making.

My Sketchbook
Some new thumbnail with the theme:Modern sniper rifle

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Hey darktiste,

You have some really nice sillouhette designs here. They all feel very believable and well proportioned. Are you working towards a portfolio piece?

(11-16-2019, 06:05 AM)jondawo Wrote: Hey darktiste,

You have some really nice sillouhette designs here. They all feel very believable and well proportioned. Are you working towards a portfolio piece?

I am still exploring to much right now and to be honest i am loving it.I never feel like it the right moment to do a portfolio piece because i am always learning new stuff i think you have to feel kind cocky to say ok i am ready to do a portfolio.For me it more of oh yeah i want to do that for a living but damn i am comfortable exploring to much.In the past making a portfolio was for me more of a cycle ritual milestone usually done around after the begin of the new years as to be representative of where i was standing at the beginning of that years.It was more of a ''obligation'' toward accountability to myself and those who support me.But also a milestone comparaison exercise.But this years i am trying to create something more professional this time and i have been recently looking for game studio that interest me and i think i will ultimately try to orient my portfolio piece to be more reflective of what those studio might want so it will mean probably also doing some study toward stylisation.

My Sketchbook
An other one -Dj Khaled

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Those are some nice looking gun models. Think you can try one in a 3/4 perspective?
(11-18-2019, 01:07 PM)Demon Lizardman Wrote: Those are some nice looking gun models. Think you can try one in a 3/4 perspective?
It naturally going toward that at one point but i can still feel my shading is weak and want to fix this in priority.

My Sketchbook
(11-07-2019, 08:35 AM)darktiste Wrote: I been ''holding back'' the 3d stuff since i see my work as primary 2d even if i understand the advantage of using 3d to visualize my work.I never felt the push toward modeling my design since i see this as the work of someone else as i see myself as primarily a designer.But i am slowly moving toward learning how to creating full turn around of a design so that it could be hypothetically model by someone else.I would not mind collaborating with someone else that know those program if they felt my design where interesting enough to be turn into a model aslong as we both share the credit of were work.

Yeah I get that.  There's so much I want to do—but sometimes it's best just to focus on one thing.

BTW—that pistol is awesome!

(11-19-2019, 09:53 AM)Jephyr Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 08:35 AM)darktiste Wrote: I been ''holding back'' the 3d stuff since i see my work as primary 2d even if i understand the advantage of using 3d to visualize my work.I never felt the push toward modeling my design since i see this as the work of someone else as i see myself as primarily a designer.But i am slowly moving toward learning how to creating full turn around of a design so that it could be hypothetically model by someone else.I would not mind collaborating with someone else that know those program if they felt my design where interesting enough to be turn into a model aslong as we both share the credit of were work.

Yeah I get that.  There's so much I want to do—but sometimes it's best just to focus on one thing.

BTW—that pistol is awesome!
Glad you enjoyed it.

My Sketchbook
(11-18-2019, 11:06 PM)darktiste Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 01:07 PM)Demon Lizardman Wrote: Those are some nice looking gun models. Think you can try one in a 3/4 perspective?
It naturally going toward that at one point but i can still feel my shading is weak and want to fix this in priority.
I understand that you want to focus on one thing, but it really helps to push yourself into an area you are struggling with so that you may improve more. Most conceptual artist who work on weapon designs have to show what the weapon looks like in each perspective.

Front
Side
Back
3/4

I think it will help you a ton to try and take one of the weapon silhouettes you designed and detail it more.

Look at these concept sheets done for weapons in Borderlands
[Image: 4c5110d588af0e81a88a5fc53c72f355.jpg]
[Image: TedioreBreakdown.jpg]
[Image: BanditSMGV2Breakdown.jpg]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]-Demon Lizardman[/font]
This doesn't look hard at all to be honest once the gun is done he simply flipping part of the gun and duplicate and finish some of the part that were overlapped with other element he already done.What more challenging is taking the same gun and changing the view but that not that hardest part either for me it probably just the initial construction and maintaining the consistency of the line vanishing toward the vanishing point.I understand construction and mirroring to a certain degree i am simply rusty at it.

It not the first comment pushing me to give more dimension to my work.It already came to my attention that it an aspect of my work need to be addressed.This feeling of being rusty doesn't contribute to this being addressed but ultimately this rustyness can only get worst so i definitively don't want to ignore it either.So it definitively going to be address for me to be able to show in my portfolio that i can actually work also in a more dimensional fashion.I simply try to make my progression feel natural meaning i think there fundamental that are priority right now and it doesn't diminish in any shape of form the importance that perspective as in the overall big picture.Thank you for your concern.

For the part about taking the silhouette and developing them more that i am already been doing or maybe you mean take one of them and push them even more not sure.

My Sketchbook
Yes, take one of the silhouettes, your favorite one, and develop it further. Go create a sheet of how it works and what it looks like from different angles. It might not turn out perfect but hell, it's better than just doing side views. I'm not even asking for it to be super detailed, just have enough to give somebody an idea of what the gun looks like and maybe how it works.
An other gun design that took me way to long for my liking making me realize that i spend to much time rendering and not enough time designing.The next gun is going to be done with perspective and if it look bad so be it just gonna signal that i need to spend more of my time doing basic geometric after that.I don't think i will render any light and shadow just to put more grey matter into the perspective aspect of the drawing.

Anyways here the gun i was working for the whole last week and a bit at the start of this week.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook