Colors critiques
Hi evryone
I'm practicing with coloring comics and i'd need some opinion
so, lets do that! here you are sth

[Image: color_sample_by_paraloopable-d6iuahy.jpg]

[Image: the_awakening_by_chiligarlic_d6det94_by_...6hm6sp.png]

[Image: project__overwatch___art_by_javier_lugo_...6ihyfu.png]

i want to become a pro in coloring comics, so tell me evrything is wrong with my works!

thanks
Off to a great start man. I can't see anything "wrong" really. I prefer the middle one the most in terms of a palette and colouring that fits the style. The one at the bottom is the most amateurish to my eyes. In the first, the halftone shadowing is nice but it might be a little too pronounced.

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
hi, thank you so much for the answer! Yep, I shouldn't have submitted the 3rd :\ i can see it's a very bad work!
about the 1st: I'll try to reduce the halftone shadowing next time! thank you!
Hope to have soon something new to show! I know it seems quite pathethic but i feel a bit lost after i've finished my art school [in which i didn't learn ho to color comic books] ._.
so thanks again!
Nah it's not very bad, just doesn't show as much skill as the others and the linework isn't as good. I'm guessing it's older?
It's not pathetic to feel lost...I suspect this is not an uncommon feeling after art school (I never went myself) I've heard many an artist complain about art school (seems to be a trendy thing to do nowadays) and others that rave about it.
Just think deeply about what you really enjoy and what you can see yourself doing for a long time while still enjoying it and being able to make a career out of it. Then just focus on getting there. Nothing to say you can't switch up, but it is good to have a definite goal or two to focus on. Good luck!

(08-22-2013, 08:58 PM)monkeybread Wrote: Nah it's not very bad, just doesn't show as much skill as the others and the linework isn't as good. I'm guessing it's older?
It's not pathetic to feel lost...I suspect this is not an uncommon feeling after art school (I never went myself) I've heard many an artist complain about art school (seems to be a trendy thing to do nowadays) and others that rave about it.
Just think deeply about what you really enjoy and what you can see yourself doing for a long time while still enjoying it and being able to make a career out of it. Then just focus on getting there. Nothing to say you can't switch up, but it is good to have a definite goal or two to focus on. Good luck!

Yep, it's "old"... i started coloring others' stuff recently [about 2 weeks or less] and that's the second experiment i did.
Happy i'm not the only one feeling lost after art school!
I really love coloring and i'd like to become a pro. That's my goal by now!
So you've learned all by yourself? How??
I've seen your sketchbook i can't believe you didn't have a mentor O__O

Here it is a new page

the original is here http://sliverofdeimos.deviantart.com/art...-175279446

Hey I livestreamed some feedback for you:

http://livestre.am/4Ax5d

Livestream Crits/Paintovers: www.twitch.tv/mike086
Loomis Study videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mike086

My Facebook page: MCIII
(08-23-2013, 04:49 AM)Mike086 Wrote: Hey I livestreamed some feedback for you:

http://livestre.am/4Ax5d

Hi!! thank you for the video answer!
Sorry about the mistake in my post about "the original one", i just pasted the wrong line and so i repeated the same image ._.
here it is the right one [that's the lineart only]
http://sliverofdeimos.deviantart.com/art...-175279446

Usually i'm scared by saturation because, as you can see in the 3rd pic, i can't control it :( but i'll try harder!
I didn't think about the progression of time while camera's moving! i feel so stupid now! I considered the background as a single panel...
Unfortunately i don't have the scripts, i found the inks on DA.

I'm going to use your advices today!

PS
You can call me just "Loop" next time XD i use paraloopable 'cause loop is always taken

thank you, thank you again!
Tried to follow your advice

Lol...excuse my language, but all I have been doing is a fuckin butt load of hard work over the last two years.....no social life, no help, not enough sleep, working a day job, no girlfriends, drink too much, not enough exercise....ie. living the dream mate.hehe. This is why it pisses me off when I hear artists who had the luxury of going to art school slag it off so completely....spoiled little brats is what I call them. Haha. It is also the reason i like to stay active in crit forums like this, because i know how useful it can be to people just like me who haven't had any help along the way as well as to anybody else on the journey.

Well you have a goal, break it up into smaller chunks ans then just get to it :) last update is looking nice..no real crits to give. I think you can get startup work for indies and what not at your skill level, easy. dA has tons of people commissioning stuff at entry level, maybe sniff around there a bit? Do you do inks and pencils too or just colour?

ahahah np with your language XD I understand your dedication and your anger! I can't believe how i drew before school, but i know many people that spent a lot of money [even if my school wasn't so expensive as yours in america/uk/nz] without practicing and trying to get better. Can't understand.

I tried to look for "colorist needed" and similar on google. I sent many mails [and some answer, too] but i didn't gen any job/collaboration in the end and i can't understan why. I'm not very self assured, ok, but i see i can color better than some other people taking little jobs...

yes, I can do inks and pencils too http://claudiapalescandolo.wix.com/cpalescandolo this is my website if you want to take a look. I'm not so bad, but i feel more comfortable coloring things...
Haha...I'm not as bitter as I sound really... I just don't like the sound of whining. I can tell you have a feel for colour from these posts. I am a "colour" guy as well...everyone comments on how nice my colours are if it's anything, so keep pushing that aspect. Often the things that naturally come easy are worthwhile pursuing, especially if not everyone else can do the same. I guess keep putting yourself out there...collaborate on projects, approach people on dA or facebook or the Internet or wherever the comic geeks hang out that might be interested...just get yourself out there when you are ready. Doing something is always better than doing nothing :)

I'm no comic-book geek (I like them, it's just that I'm more into concept-stuff now) but the latest one seems super-nice to me, really nice colouring, really sets a mood. Your previous ones are good as well, nice strong linework.. Keep it up! (I know it's not a particularly helpful post, I just felt you underestimate your own work a bit) :)

thank you guys :) you are very encouraging!

@monkeybread: I'll try on the DA forum! maybe starting with some free commission...

@kaffer: lines are not mine, but i appreciate your comment on coloring! Sometimes i need someone who tells me thay my stuff isn't that bad so you're very helpful :)
Looking good Loop! The saturation I took came from seeing Chris Bachalo's work. I have a few of the XMen comics he did and I pushed the colors to match the "pro's" work.

Livestream Crits/Paintovers: www.twitch.tv/mike086
Loomis Study videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mike086

My Facebook page: MCIII
I like how this is looking! You know, I was reading marvel stuff the other day, and I got disgusted by how much saturation, EVERYTHING has. The compositions are a mess, the pallets, well, everything color-related is usually annoying (special mention to guardians of the galaxy) I know they have like a "formula" for the whole style, but it's got to a point where instead of communicating, it only tries to catch your attention. Everywhere. All the time. Jeez!
Aaaand, (yeah, I started a sentence with "and") that's what I like about the way you're working!, it's calm, it's readable, and saturation is there, only where it's needed. Keep up the good work, man!