kerm's SKitschbook - Please help by giving critique! Will be really appreciated!
(10-22-2013, 08:17 AM)kerm Wrote: I think I'm done with that piece.

Hah this looks like some of the first stuff i tried when i started something digitally namely sky world n all that

My Sketchbook (do help me out)
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-4216.html

And if your rather curious on some older stuff here's my deviantart

http://greatdictator.deviantart.com/
Color study... Somehow can't live without those...

Attached Files Image(s)

It's a somewhat solitary existence, a bit like a lighthouse keeper throwing a beam out into the darkness, in faith that this action might help someone unseen.

BombMy Sketchbook (critique welcome)Bomb
Hi Kerm! Great works man, lots of dedication right here. I'm really impressed by all the life studies you did, I'm certain that they'll help you a lot, especially in terms of colours - I can already see it paying off in that last piece you did of the floating islands. It's definitely got that fantasy illustration vibe to it.

My crit for that would be you should try to push more of the perseptive depth a bit more. More overlapping shapes. Right now you have two islands in the midground kind of not overlapping but nearly touching each other. Now you've got some nice atmospheric and scale depth there, but I think it can be improved if you do more overlaps to really sell the idea that one object is in front of another.

One advice I have is to try to draw more with linework. Especially when doing things from imagination, it forces you to think a little more and really helps remove guess work and it actually gets quite tricky when you're trying to do a more detailed drawing as opposed to a quick loose sketch. I feel you can learn quite a lot from that.

I hope that was useful. All the best man, you're doing really great already!

Thx man! Really appreciate your input! I started some Peter's Han dynamic sketching exercises. Hope it helps.

It's a somewhat solitary existence, a bit like a lighthouse keeper throwing a beam out into the darkness, in faith that this action might help someone unseen.

Another color study... Well I would like to keep drawing them for at least a 3 months and end the whole process with some bigger, old masters inspired still life. Then switch to studying movie stills.

I know I should draw something from imagination and I am from time to time. What's more I'm working on my little indie game where I have to paint a lot. I'll post some things from it later on. :)

Attached Files Image(s)

Painted some flying islands for a game. :)

Attached Files Image(s)

The still life studies are a good idea so keep doing them. This stuff will help you out more than anything. Few bits of advice to think about:
Edge control. Some should be sharp and hard some should be soft. This goes especially for shadows, where mostly yours are hard. Get to know your lasso and selection tools well, especially for hard surfaces, but really for everything ;they are invaluable.

Going for relatively quick overall impressions is a good approach, this doesn't mean you should skimp on draftsmanship and get lazy with perspective or general drawing. These have to be solid so take the time to lay them out well with a sketch then what you are implying quickly is lighting and material reads.
Also vary up your subject materials and lighting conditions unless all you want to learn is how to render fruit and spoons in harsh direct light.
For your next environment really work on the value scheme so the depth reads, focus your saturation where it needs to be only and think about perspective a bit more and playing with more than just a side on emphasis to everything. Hope that helps.

Keep it up!

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
Thank you! That definitely will be helpful!

Painted some more of flying islands for my little indie game. I just don't belive how much time it took... Also, I cannot get the colors right. The game is for nintendo 3ds which has really crappy screens so i tend to paint everything quite dark and oversaturated...

Attached Files Image(s)

These islands look so cool :) especially like the big fish bones in the post before. Really cool stuff, keep it coming :)

Winter island test... still not sure about the colors...

Attached Files Image(s)

My practice with "dynamic sketching" execrise (from Peter Han). Floor covered with it twice. I must say, I thought I suck at it and this state is pernament, but when I put everthing on the floor, I saw improvement. Still I am far from perfect.
Second thing - nose sketching with felt tip pen + gray marker. Want to perfect construction and clean up my line. Pen is perfect for that... I know my noses suck. I do faaar better color studies than construction drawings. Anyway, first of my fruits and cuttlery were kind of sucky too so I hope I'll improve.

Attached Files Image(s)

Heya Kerm!

Your islands are looking very nice and polished, no wonder it took time!

About the winter one and it's colors, it's true that the first read was candy cake island for me! XD

Maybe try slightly cooler blue tones ?

Keep up the good work!!

keep up the good work!

Thx Yann!
Candy Cake island :D haha... made my day :)

Here's the mill. Improved winter colors with it. It's all about the balance between cool and warm.

Attached Files Image(s)

I'm enjoying your work for that game, it's beautiful stuff (I'm a sucker for saturated colors). Also, that's an interesting exercise you did with the lines and circles. I'm guessing it's for greater hand control? Keep up the posts! I'm havin fun looking at your work

(11-17-2013, 06:50 PM)pnate Wrote: Also, that's an interesting exercise you did with the lines and circles. I'm guessing it's for greater hand control? Keep up the posts! I'm havin fun looking at your work

Yup. This is where it came from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgDNDOKnArk
Worth trying.

Wow kerm! These islands... these succulent islands... (lol what)
But seriously, these island villages you've been designing look aweeesome! Totally suited for the N3DS!

And hey, great job on keeping up with the dynamic sketching, I'm sure it has started paying off and will even more so in the future if you keep it up!

Also, with the colour studies - no need to give 'em up or switch them for movie still studies.
Nothing beats observation from life! You can always change things up and paint metal objects/plastic, etc. Or, yes, study from the masters! :D I'm sure you'll learn butt-tonnes more studying from the old guys than from movie stills ~ just my two cents man!

Keep it up kerm, you rock!

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
Smrr, thx for visit :)
Well, I do dynamic sketching everyday. I'm sure it will pay off. But for now I just destroyed few felt-tip pens. This exercise is a killer for cheap ones. :)
When it comes to studies... I was kind of busy recently so succulent islands (great name for a movie) and dynamic sketching was all I could do. I will definitely post some more fruits and cuttlery soon. When it comes to movies - actually I had an idea do to music videos stills (tool ones, yay).
Anyway, thx again for dropping by. You rock 2. ;)

i am in love with those islands! The colors and design are stunning. Makes me want to play !
The fanciful shapes and jewel-like colors of the islands are so appealing! The mill is my favorite.

Sketchbook