Copyright Infringement and Selling prints of Famous Properties
I am curious about copyright infringement regarding fine art prints of famous movie characters, games, and comics. Im wondering what constitutes as copyright infringement and where the stipulations on legality is in regards to fine art prints. Can I even do it? My plan is to make a few paintings, get a limited run of prints made, then sell them at flea-markets or where I can.

Hi David,

To use a previously copyrighted character, particularly in its original design, is an infringement of copyright. That means, selling Donald Duck/Batman/Tintin/whatever fanart is illegal. Even publishing it is illegal - copyright owners merely tolerate it.

You CAN sell prints with those characters, however, IF you get a written permission from the company that owns the copyright.

The importannt point is, it's in THEIR power to choose whether to persecute copyright infringement, or to tolerate it even on a large scale, or to permit you to use their character. You have really no option but to ask for permission.

-------------------------------------------
KRISTINA GEHRMANN - Illustration - Painting - Concept art
Portfolio: http://www.mondhase.com
Blog: http://www.mondhase.com/blog

Or just go to a con a sell them there.. nobody really cares, as long as you don't sell stuff online or put it on a book or something.

My opinion about fanart is that it should be encouraged it like free ad for them and it also a free way for them to see talented artist they can hire .But instead they are suing artist for helping them promote there stuff is just stupid money story.

My opinion is that the public should be able to choose in which style they want to own a product some time you will prefer a fanart better then a original. Fair competition should be encouraged but they just try to control by fear.

Art should not be own but be shared to be improve for the better.(this would be possible if cash didn’t exist but that not the case)

An idea (compliation of observation) that you try to monetize that ok but to say that idea is all your is a lie. Idea are only solution to problem sure you may have the credit that you create a solution but after that you need to stop and let people come up with better solution that why fanart exist it a interpretation that try to improve some idea.

So if you really want to do something fanbase and make profit with it you should do it with there approval or forget about it because you put yourself in a position where they can sue and they can make you lose a lot of your own time so I would suggest you make fanart for yourself if you enjoy it or want to learn by doing it or to offer them as gift to people who may like it or try to come up with your own idea instead of revisiting idea.You are better working with them instead of against them if your a true fan you will understand sure they may be overprotective of there image but that how it work when you make a name you need to defend yourself.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.