Notes: Boring Ol' Sketchbook of a Neophyte
Apparently, I've become a bit lazy to try to improve myself in the past. I've wanted to make up for it and try to relearn all the mistakes I did, so I will post my studies which you can never predict if it will go all the way... or get confused.

I do hope people are willing to tell me what my mistakes are cause I probably don't really know what I'm doing haha.

Here's my seemingly decent drawing which has most of the details I could muster in the past (a few years ago) Then at some point in HS, I kind of stopped. Devastated, very sad

[Image: Scan-001_zps526f1680.jpg]

I was an anime freak so I wanted to wash that out and you know, try to draw from life. I tried to draw my dog's legs, and it turned kind of porky, oh well. T__T There's also a spoon, a plate of hotdogs, 2 glass containers, an eraser, and my sleeping dog's face.

[Image: Scan-0012_zpsbe6c6565.jpg]

I've started studying The Barnstone Method DVD and also read The Practice and Science of Drawing (I must say, this book is pretty useful!).
Myron Barnstone discusses the terms he uses like the Golden Section, drawing's basic alphabet, and gets you to do drawings of bottles.

Which is I've only watched the first lessons CH. 1-7, Lesson 1 just recently.
Starting out a gesture drawing of bottles:
[Image: Scan-0013_zpscb1b0519.jpg]

Some notes (or should I say just a note?) of the lesson:
[Image: Scan-0017_zps99ff2150.jpg]

I'll keep this updated when I'm not too busy watching, drawing and reading this stuff. (My only purpose of creating this sketchbook lol ^__^)

I haven't posted some of my recent drawings cause I aim to focus my attention on the studies. If anyone has more info regarding the Barnstone Method, what I should be aware of, then please feel free to share.
try to work with more assurance but stay loose instead of putting your pencil directly on the paper for example drawing a circle hover the paper in a circular motion when you feel confident put the pen(cil) on the paper and make 1 full circle then continue for a other turn and a third but try to adjust the form so it more of a cercle make sure not to press to hard on the pencil so you can erase it if after that you still not satisfied with the result.Try to find the right eye hand coordination speed to make the circle if you go to fast you may end up with a oval if you go to slow the line will have ''stress'' which mean each little movement the hand make will be draw imagine like a seismograph reading .

Trick for good sketch

1.Draw line and circle before any drawing attempt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgDNDOKnA...J&index=41

2.Observe the subject start by the main form use sphere,cube and cone and mix them together to describe the subject
http://ctrlpaint.com/videos/simplifying-form
http://ctrlpaint.com/videos/form-not-shape

3.Find light and shadow apply them on the form if you make a drawing from imagination find the best lightsource to show the personality or atmosphere you want to showcase.

4.Pay special attention to proportion,the head,the hand and the foot and specialy perspective

5.Keep the detail for the end

6.Sketch a lot

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
After finally getting my scanner to work, here's what I've been upto for the past week.

It's a bit dirty to look at cuz I was saving paper xd

I find it really difficult to draw from observation. Measuring stuff and copying all the details.
[Image: m_zps4812caec.jpg]

What do you guys think about sight-size method? I will only use it to increase my observation (and patience...) in measuring so I want to know if I can be able to accurately copy references or from life with it? Also want to achieve hyper realism someday. Please give your input. :)

[Image: Scan_zpsec62aba4.jpg]
I tried to do still-life from what's inside my home. But it felt like I made a wrong choice in choosing the old man figurine for that... And all the light sources were distracting me eventhough I put a lamp. So I didn't finish this. Better luck next time.

Drawing with a pen.
[Image: ssd_zps82327d6e.jpg]
I tried so hard to have a perfect circle on my grape and I didn't think too much about light so i just shade everywhere lol.

-I've also did line exercises everyday but I don't think of posting it haha Well, hope you guys have any advice.
A still life should have a bit of composition or else it look dead
I would advice to not jump straight into still life but in a more form analysis
to get a control over proportion.

http://vimeo.com/32258476

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.