Question about Sci-Fi concept art
Hello everyone!

I am a newbie at concept art and have a question that you probably know the answer.

How can you design sci-fi stuff?

I mean, if you are trying to develop something medieval, you have the real history to research, but what can a designer do to create something that doesn't exist in the real world in a believable way? Are there creative techniques or tips that you could share?

Thanks!
:)
Ok sci-fi for me is only a projection of current technology so example you wanna design a gun a sci-fi gun get some reference first of current gun that exist.Start making a visual library of gun
draw them study them to learn how each par of a gun function and look.So i call this reverse imagination you take something you don't know start observing and research it then after that you open a box call imagination and you add or erase stuff from the subject.

So let make the final example of what it look it a gun but now it able to shoot laser.
The next step consist of making the gun appear to be ''plausible''(in the future)
Ok so now you choose that it shoot laser but how is this even possible you would ask
imagination come here again learn about laser and shit.Come up with a design.

In step i look like
1.find the subject
2.find reference
3.learn about the subject
4.draw each part of the subject apart to separate them and have a better idea of how they look(insert exemple of part of a subject arm head etc can be any subject)
5.ask yourself what the use of the object and how can you improve the look or use of the object
6.now that you have separated the subject in part and that you know how to draw each part
redesign NO ONE KNOW HOW THE FUTURE WILL LOOK BUT IT AS ROOT IN THE PRESENT SO USE WHAT YOU SEE TO MAKE IT ''PLAUSIBLE''
7.Read book it good for you the imagine shit and it good for you

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
I'm gonna play devils advocate here and say you can learn a lot about sci-fi art by simply looking at enormous amounts of sci-fi art. Now, you don't want to be copying - but it is a good place to start just to wrap your head around some of the big ideas in sci-fi art, for instance: urban expansion, space travel, warfare, communication, and transporation are all very big components of contemporary sci-fi art, and studying these things in the real world will help your ideas and designs seem more plausible when you draw them.

Be inspired to explore, not derivative.
reading magazines like national geographics, scientific america etc.
watching scientific debates and documentaries about astronomy,
black holes etc.
Comparing technologies like how does a steam train work? what
engines are used in space shuttles.

Yale university has this amazing thing called open lectures, great
subjects like this one http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL902AF247F4163F61
(12-30-2013, 02:14 AM)constructicon Wrote: reading magazines like national geographics, scientific america etc.
watching scientific debates and documentaries about astronomy,
black holes etc.
Comparing technologies like how does a steam train work? what
engines are used in space shuttles.

Yale university has this amazing thing called open lectures, great
subjects like this one http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL902AF247F4163F61

i would not suggest to spend a lot of time looking at those video
but i will try to summarize the subject that are aborded into those video that can apply to sci-fi.
climate change
new source of energy

here are some other topic you should explore too
robot,cyborg,mutant,alien,clone,hybrid,new technology,space travel,genetic,nanotechnology,''computer'',technology war

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU1-YFbAifA

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Thanks for answer dudes!

@Darktiste
This was the way I was doing unconsciously. Maybe the designed item must resemble a piece of the real world to make the conection with the viewer. For example, the laser gun would be more plausible if you can understand the trigger or other "real gun parts".

@Spiffy
I'll give it a try. But every time I try to design something with inspiration of another artist it feels derivative. Or I get frustrated because the other artist is usually way better than me. haha

@Construction
I'll definetly watch some of the videos.

Thanks again dudes!