Gregory Mack Portfolio
Hey just posted in the Introductions part of the forum and thought I'd upload some of my portfolio to get some critiques and feedback. Some things you should know about me, I graduated from AAU with a BFA in Visual Development and I love doing fantasy work in a variety of styles. I enjoy anything fantasy from the grim dark of 40k to the spark gargle wee wee of anime fantasy.

With that portfolio launch is a GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Shock

Think that's enough for now, look forward to any feedback!!
I really like your textures! Are those sisters of battle? that particular piece looks awesome

Also, what's up with the last piece? I mean, it's great! But it's pretty different from the rest of the portfolio. Don't you think it could be a little confusing?

Anyway, totally digging your work man. Keep it up!

(02-26-2014, 10:09 AM)Rognoll Wrote: I really like your textures! Are those sisters of battle? that particular piece looks awesome

Also, what's up with the last piece? I mean, it's great! But it's pretty different from the rest of the portfolio. Don't you think it could be a little confusing?

Anyway, totally digging your work man. Keep it up!

Yeah the 2nd painting was Sister of Battle, was a lot of fun. I should probably have thrown up more of my cartoony pieces with the last one I can understand how its a bit jarring.

I really enjoy doing multiple styles, but what i struggle with is presenting them all. I might just need to buckle down and make a mini portfolio for each style.

Here's some more work I've done and want to include in my portfolio, but dont know how to do it and still keep the presentation professional.

Lovely folio you've got so far. Correct me if Im wrong but I dont see how that piece that Rognoll pointed out is all that different. All of your stuff is stylized. That one is only SLIGHTLY more stylized. I know they say to focus your folio to one style but I think you guys are taking that advice bit too far. Theres got to be some wiggle room in there for variation. Just my opinion. Im by no means an expert.

(02-27-2014, 03:45 AM)Hypnagogic_Haze Wrote: Lovely folio you've got so far. Correct me if Im wrong but I dont see how that piece that Rognoll pointed out is all that different. All of your stuff is stylized. That one is only SLIGHTLY more stylized. I know they say to focus your folio to one style but I think you guys are taking that advice bit too far. Theres got to be some wiggle room in there for variation. Just my opinion. Im by no means an expert.

I think the confusion came about when my first post ended with the more animated character and that's all ragnoll had to go on for a critique until I posted more. I do enjoy multiple styles but always maintain a fantasy focus.

Many working artists at conventions have told me I'm pigeon holing myself to indie games by doing that, but I simply can't see myself competing for jobs at companies like Arena.net or Blizz right now even if I attempt to perfect "their" style. Feels like we're duking it out for entry level positions with seasoned veterans who have been laid off from closing companies like Irrational games or THQ....just my reasoning though.
I've heard plenty of industry veterans say that what the bigger companies are looking for is the next big thing not someone who has the same style as an already established artists. If they want that style theyll hire the person whos known for it instead of someone whos mimicing them. Their advice is to develop your own style unique to you and that you love.

If you're just doing something because you think thats what people want to see based on whats already popular then thats the wrong reason. Marc Brunet said he got hired by Blizzard not because he was doing Blizzard style art but because he had a unique style that Blizzard wanted to incorporate into their brand and widen their appeal. Will Terrells recent video also talks about this. Check it out if you havnt seen it yet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meAVI1WMs1g

(02-28-2014, 04:44 AM)Hypnagogic_Haze Wrote: I've heard plenty of industry veterans say that what the bigger companies are looking for is the next big thing not someone who has the same style as an already established artists. If they want that style theyll hire the person whos known for it instead of someone whos mimicing them. Their advice is to develop your own style unique to you and that you love.

If you're just doing something because you think thats what people want to see based on whats already popular then thats the wrong reason. Marc Brunet said he got hired by Blizzard not because he was doing Blizzard style art but because he had a unique style that Blizzard wanted to incorporate into their brand and widen their appeal. Will Terrells recent video also talks about this. Check it out if you havnt seen it yet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meAVI1WMs1g

Thank you so much for this fresh perspective, that video was really enlightening and literally addressed all my concerns and reminded me of WHY I paint.

If I could think of another perfect example of what Will and you described it would be another recent hire by Blizzard, MR--Jack.

He showed his vision of Starcraft units and other Blizzard properties with his style while the company had just begun development for SC2. He brought a new style to the company and a fresh look, because of that they sought him out and hired him.

This has helped me more than you can imagine and has got me pumped. Think I will start my sketchbook post soon to start putting all this knowledge to good use Insane, ecstatic