Hard work + Determination = Growth
Trying to find comfortable way of constructing human body

My Art Progress + Putting stuff on Deviantart + Making Videos on YouTube + Streaming on Twitch + more on Discord
Found a couple of sketches that i did during different periods of 2013

My Art Progress + Putting stuff on Deviantart + Making Videos on YouTube + Streaming on Twitch + more on Discord
I'm finally finished with 3D and planning back to full studying tomorrow!
Too long break has taken away by getting used to 3D but eventually it's worth it!
Also i had a lot of fun by revising all my unfinished 3D projects (mostly models of objects, apartments, couple of cities, sea animals and so on) which blew my mind by level of invested efforts and time in them (that would be better spent on drawing and painting... but anyway...) They absolutely will come in handy for understanding materials properties and light better, in more intuitive way for me!
I love when seemingly unnecessary things come in handy in the and.
Some studies for today

Exercise #1

Exercise #2

Exercise #3

Exercise #1

Exercise #2

Exercise #3

Busy day (currently working on a portfolio, but I will try to have time to do all my three exercises everyday because they are very important for my development)
Only 1 exercise for today unfortunatly for me

Hey! nice persistence. I feel like studying through Bridgemans complete guide to drawing from life will help your figures really level up. Right now they seem to feel a little stiff/flat maybe would be the word. Keep it coming dude.

Sketchbook ▲  Website ▲ TwitterArtStation ▲ Twitch ▲

Jonesoda - Thanks alot! Yes i agree with stiffness, i am planning to work on gesture and exaggeration to get my mannequin figures look more dynamic, because so far even if i build them from ref as accurately as possible they still looks stiff.

Hi Alexey! Amazing stuff! Your digital lines are so clean and nice to look at, the white on dark background is really effective! Your landscapes are fantastic as well - I want to ask a question if its ok.

When you do your landscape studies and you do your first sketch where you label the warm / cool and everything, is that a method from a book? or something you came up with? It looks like a really useful way to solidify the information and learn from it - I would love to learn how to approach it.

Keep it up!

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453
JyonnyNovice - Thanks for kind words i appreciate it!
I developed it through trials and errors, may be something similar already exists, I do not know.
But specifically, this method which I call "Pattern of Knowledge" includes many different factors, mostly it is for help in using already existing basic knowledge during the study and creation of personal projects, to be aware about what you are really doing, and why. I guess "Pattern of Knowledge" for those who often mindlessly copying something, without any understanding why things is actually working the way that they working...
This method includes 5 items
1) Identification of perspective and directions of surfaces in the scene (simplified)
2) Determination of light sources (type, intensity, location) and definition of background, midground and foreground
3) Identify the types of materials (matte, glossy, reflective, transparent and their varieties with different properties such as refraction...)
4) Determination of color temperature of the scene and individual objects
5) Searching for individual properties of objects in the scene (textures, distinctive features of individual objects that shows their uniqueness)
Also important to properly handle this method for better results
This method not a breakthrough! I want to believe that almost every artist sooner or later came up with it, but with own twist.
Hope i helped!
Fast warm up studies that i am planning to do every day
I am not used to do fast sketches accurately, so they too messy, but I am trying to feel motion without doing too much unnecessary movements, hope with time I will learn how to do it right
But for now here it is:
Gesture

Mannequin

Also I am trying to find good way to do 30 minutes Perspective exercise on daily basis to... Still not figure out how it should be structured though...

Hi Alexey, thanks for the detailed breakdown! Colour / rendering are thingsI know very little about and I'm planning to start studying it very soon, so your notes will be very helpful! By colour temperature do you mean the value and/or saturation? I've only come across that term in TV lighting.

I probably can't offer too much in the way of advice, just that I find doing quick gesture studies much easier with pencil and paper, on computer they always lack something (for me).

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453
JyonnyNovice
Quote: ...By colour temperature do you mean the value and/or saturation?...
Hi! I meant warm and cool side of the color wheel...
http://interiordec.about.com/od/color/a/...Colors.htm
Quote:I find doing quick gesture studies much easier with pencil and paper, on computer they always lack something (for me)
I agree, on tablet is harder to get gesture as good as on paper whith pencil, it takes a lot of practice, but I will try to do bouth, for instance today on tablet gestures were horrible and i did it on paper
Gesture

Mannequin

Also recent traditional random sketches

Quick warm up
Gesture

Mannequin

Quick warm up
Gesture

Mannequin

Quick warm up
Mix

I decided to post rarely for now, since i have nothing much decent to post... I want to slow down my rushing workflow and work on quality first.
I have been focusing on speed to much, while i need to focus more on quality (speed will come with time)
Hope to get some results and share them soon...
Here's the comparison of still life using fast (sloppy) and slow (more accurate) workflow
Fast

Slow

Getting into doing some slow studies seems like a good idea for you at this point (though you don't have to ditch fast ones all together - a mix is good - but I agree a run of slow ones could be good for you right now). You seem to have gained a decent grasp of drawing through things to get the forms down by now, so it'll be interesting to see how you build on that with more time being there to put into measuring, identifying details and maybe rendering. Really good to see some manikin studies too, that's a great way to start with figures.