The 5 bullshit myths of concept art.
Rainbow 
A while ago I made this article on Deviantart about the common misconceptions about concept art. Since most of you guys here at the Crimson daggers forum are working your way up to becoming a professional concept artist I thought I'd share it with you guys as well.

Here is the original article on DA that show example images: http://suzanne-helmigh.deviantart.com/jo...-452662427

Here is the opening bit, but you really need the images to see what it's about :)

Concept art is getting bigger and bigger. More people know what it is nowadays, it gets shown in the media more often and more books get released. This automatically results into more people wanting to become concept artists. So many artschools are now creating special courses all towards game art or concept art. (Game art can also include UI design, 3D modeling etc.).
Yet it is a fairly new thing to most people and the idea of "becoming a concept artist" has grown rapidly over such a short time that a lot of people who are new to it seem to get a lot of misguide info. I am going to try to list this misguided info and direct you to the correct info.
(Again I would always advise you to do your own research and form your own knowledge and not just simply agree with what you read online, not from anyone, not from me. Even though i'm right ;) .. ofcourse. :P *wink *wink )

(images)
Dust by TitusLunter Colony by TitusLunter Street by TitusLunter

Using photo-bashing is cheating and shows a lack of painting knowledge. WRONG!
Photo-bashing is not cheating, as a matter of fact it is a standard technique used in the majority of western AAA game studios especially when they aim for realistic visuals. Assassins Creed, Tomb Raider, The Last of us, Uncharted, you name it. The ideas were all shaped by using photos. Secondly, being able to make a good looking photo-bash where everything works and looks right, you need to have a lot of knowledge about lighting, shapes perspectives materials etc. If you don't the photo-bash will look faulty. (This is not only for environments, realistic characters will get a highly detailed photo-bashed concept before it's sent to the modelers to work on.
Using photos as a reference is very normal too. You can totally use real life faces from people to base your work on, gives you a bigger change on getting it right and unique too!

For 4 more "myths" visit the journal.

My Crimson Daggers sketchbook ^^
Really insightful, thank you
Art is that one thing, which makes sense when everything else fails.
sell your drawings online
buy online art
selling art online