Richie's the last chance sketchbook
That's a great way to approach things; it's a different process drawing from imagination, it can feel weird and difficult if you're used to drawing from references - if you make a habit of doing it regularly you will train your mind and will become more and more comfortable with it. I've only started doing it recently but even after a short time of regular practice I feel better about it - don't worry about the quality of the images, it's the process of training your brain that's important.

Another tip is that when you've drawn or studied something, immediately put it aside and apply that knowledge to something from imagination. Like if you studied some brick texture or something, go and draw a cottage with a brick wall and apply it; if you studied some bit of anatomy, draw a character and apply that knowledge. It shifts it more and more into your long-term memory every time you do that.

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453
Thanks Jyonny!
got a new wind of energy to try again.
Heres some tom and jerry drawing studies felt rushed so didn't do the usual corrections and notes.

more torso studies, took one photo and rotated it for 3 angles, this one i started yesterday took a long time, since i was looking at a few books to find what muscles go where. Will have to draw them more distinct, haven't memorized them yet so will do another a few more for the torso.

And trying out a comic book cover that will fit the Akira book style some pics and rough thumbnails, draw out some more detail next.

These are from today and yesterday,
first up some cartoon studies the last row is from my imagination, will take a couple of passes on my own stuff next time to strengthen it.

I got the Scott Robinson How to draw book to learn about perspective, and to get away from the computer too. This is the first section about improving line quality just connecting dots and drawing lines parallel deceptively difficult for me right now, don't think I'll post more of these since its easy to burn through loads of similar looking pages, but i will be working throughout the book.

And lasty trying to get my head around the Akira/Otomo style

Cool man, How to Draw is a really incredible book! Glad you got it : ) So much stuff will make sense after you get into that - I know you're doing the Peter Han exercises, make sure to keep those up and especially Scott Robertson's ellipse practice exercises; they become sooo important later in the book, just so much stuff that you need to be able to draw accurate ellipses to be able to construct. You need to be good at drawing them by then! (I wasn't and it was really frustrating haha, this time through though I'm making sure to practice!)

GL man!

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Thanks Jyonny, keep going too!

Did a ctrl-paint tutorial, trying to learn photoshop and digital painting, have to go back to how to blend colours I found the alt color pick thing awkward, just need more practice at it :P

Gesture drawing from youtube, good fun like the pressure of trying to get things in 1-5 mins think i'll start the day with these from now on.

and lastly some Preston blair studies

Continuing the Preston Blair studies, decided to do the turn around and poses from imagination from now on, wont be churning out loads of copies but hope I will be learning a bit.

Some life drawing, tried to do a layover to check, a lot of leg and foot placements are off, so just that would be the next anatomy parts to study. This overlaying and note making took as long as the gesture drawing did, so guess this will be a only an occasional thing

Line quality also need work,
And some leg and arm anatomy studies, will do more on proportion as well. Mmm didnt zoom back in for the leg studies lol

Taking the big step of talking a couple of CGMA courses; Dynamic sketching and art of light and colour, to help me out so studies will be changed for those courses. Cant wait and trying to learn more of photoshop before the courses starts.

same again ;P
Mickey drawings

Gestures not as good as yesterdays but will keep going and get more used to drawing the whole body.

And some leg studies for Hampton. Not sure how to memorise this mountain of muscles!

Behind the scenes trying to work out how to blend colours in photoshop!

Almost one month of sketchbook posting!!! It's been the most intense i've tried at getting better at art, too soon to tell if i've got better but will move onwards and upward. So have been on a break for the past 2 days thinking and revising my game plan/schedule based on how I was doing. So I noticed I wasn't pushing my comfort zone too much and also need more on anatomy painting and other fundamentals, so will try to take it head on, be prepared for a lot of sucky pics :P

Gestures 1 and 2 minutes

last of the preston blair studies

well after a month of preston blair studies, cant really draw them from imagination to look like the same characters but I think i'm more used to cartoon construction!

and some blending tutorials from ctrl-paint, still find I cant do it freehand but will keep at it

The blending is looking really smooth! great job ^^

And that cartoon style construction - breaking things down into spheres and ellipsoids and whatnot, is really useful for all drawing too. Hampton's all about it really, just with more levels of complexity, it's still simplifying things down to basic shapes that can be more easily manipulated.

As a test of how far you've come - have a look at what you are doing now, and ask yourself if you would've been able to do it a month ago (i.e. anatomy, muscles, rendering in photoshop etc). We progress quicker than we realise! especially with all the consistent effort you've been putting in! Grats man ^^

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Thanks Jyonny! Yes its true I don't think we stop and look at what we accomplished enough!
For today I mixed it up and tried to draw more from imagination. with the gestures, I tried to draw the figure from 2 different angles

And with anatomy studies I looked at Kevin Chens work (http://analyticalfiguresp08.blogspot.co.uk/), since he really simplifies anatomy onto easier to remember shapes. I tried to duplicate some from memory, I guess it will show up in tomorrow's gesture drawing if I really did take them in. Tomorrow I'll start with echoches.

And lastly did some quick silhouettes for an environmental piece I will take 3 of these shapes and play around with them a bit more before putting them into perspective.

Gone AWOL again for a few days. Been drawing just not posting, its so easy for me to fall out of a habit so will keep trying to post daily.
Some more gestures turning them in space, think i'll do 20 mins of just straight drawing before doing this turn around thing to warm up to it a bit more.

Got the john park meck pack on gumroad this is great going to work thru them in the following months, really great workflow into getting you to think about original ways to construct mechs, I think its from his classroom at Red engine, so homework is given and thats what im following.

And lastly what I did from yesterday just doodling, Been procrastinating over doing the anatomy echoches so doodled about instead. have hit a wall over even starting it, noticed zen habits just put up a post about this: http://zenhabits.net/unwanted/ so try to keep this in mind today.

Started with gesture drawing this time I went throught the whole 1+2 min sequence then went back to draw the model from 2 different angles.

Some anatomy studies:

and film ref painting

The last of the film studies for cgma, took way too long, back to normal schedule tomorrow :P

started off with gestures:

Thougth that the feet in the gestures looked like socks, so did studies of feet. These are from red ink/0033 http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=59317 trying to make sense of the lines cant get my head around it yet.

and lastly a couple of pages from dynamic sketching class 1, the crit I received was to draw the lines and cicles with more speed to avoid the wobbly lines, gotta say I see an improvement in my line making with these exercises much less feathered line making

Nice lines, especially the waves they are really hard! I always end up with frayed ends - what's more important? keeping the line tight or hitting the right endpoint? I never manage to get both.

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
ah man! there's some great effort going into these! Seems like you're on a solid study path, I recognize some of the ctrl paint stuff. Keep it going, you'll progress in no time! Remember to pepper in some personal work every once in a while, so you don't burn out! -the "what's it for mission statement" sort of thing.

@ Jyonny Ha im not sure either, but the whole exercise is really good as a warm up and leveling up skills.
@Heliux Thanks Heliux, I am slowing up recently, not posting daily as much, and i'm not really doing much personal work, maybe linked? Will make time for the personal projects! Trying to get as good as fast as I can and weirdly enough the personal work gets cut out :(
gestures with turnarounds from imagination

skulls! noticed the front on above/below views are giving me the most problems, mmm, maybe i'll use pencil from now on to map out the proportions and perspective properly

and head and feet studies

For painting I'm trying out paint spheres with different lighting going slow with those.

Spent the last two days on dynamic sketching week 2 assignments, should really spread the work throughout the week :P

Gesture work to warm up

Then spent the rest of the day trying to get these to work, not sure if there correct, will check them out again tomorrow with fresh eyes.

Any crits on these or anything else here welcome :)

On the last one, I know you tried for cool shadows, but purple on blue surface definitely counts as warm :p Cool shadows on blue you'd just keep it blue;.
It is creating a weird dissonance you have such a warm surface for the table, but most of the reflect light on the spheres looks gray/dull - so mind what is cool shadow and what would be reflected light :) (this also happened on the yellow sphere with warm light)