Richie's the last chance sketchbook
Great just the stuff I was looking for Thanks Ursula,
I've followed you on tumblr too!

Hey Richie! You doing CGMA colour and light too? Which instructor did you choose?

Hi Jaik, yep im in Aymeric Kevin class, new to photoshop and painting in general so its all new to me!

Did some warm up gestures:

head and feet studies:

Did some doodles think I have to direct it in some kind of project/finished piece.

and tried a value study of the head only got one in, not great but oh well keep trying, going to push myself to do a photoshop of landscape or figure each day to get more familiar with painting!

gah almost 2 weeks of not posting here at CD, getting withdrawal pains. Still busy working but the 2 courses at CGMA are talking up a whole load of time. Think I say this in each post but gotta get more organized :)
Gestures

Some CGMA colour homework, funny took over 2-4 hours to do one of these then the tutor corrects them in a few mins and paint strokes :P

Trying out the reilly method of drawing, watts school use this so well will try a few more time and try to incorporate into my gesture drawing, think it faster to have some system in place.

And lastly some wonky construction drawing, really helpful stuff but working in pen is unforgiving.

some landscape studies, still learning/struggling with colour accuracy and simplifying shapes.

You seem to be getting the hang of digital painting, those material spheres look really nice, so do the colour studies!

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453
Thanks again Jyonny!

Some Gesture work from today and yesterday:

And updates to the dynamic sketching, this time getting use to hatching and using markers, think the values need some a lot of work, flatten out some parts:P

Also its been about 2 months of posting here at CD progress is going ok i think, taking the 2 courses over at CGMA i'm learning a whole load of stuff and pushing my comfort zone :P But it has been pushing my own studies of anatomy and storytelling to one side, not too worried will have to just scale it down but keep at it consistently.

Tight studies, this color accuracy and shapes youre addressing will come along like a glove soon !

Thanks iCi, onwards and upwards :P

some gesture and proportion studies:

and more colour studies, been told to use less saturated colours and to use more warm/cool greys into the pictures.

I've been slipping on posting work!
some gesture drawing, I've signed up to RL life drawing so starting wednesday, lets see if the work i've done digital watching youtube video translates.

some anatomy doodles:

and pen sketching plants this time

And thumbnail sketching an environment piece going to work up the 4 four in the corner then choose one to work into more.

Great news on the life drawing! Enjoy it man : ) From your four thumbnails I like the left most one and the bottom right one the best.

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Gestures!

And the thumbnail worked up, hehe looks cak but 1st ever worked up pic so kind of happy with it that way.

went to life drawing for the first time in many years. Went really well and the class set out a good range of short and long poses. Think I have to work on values and long poses, since the 10 and 20 minute sketches have almost no different between them! No instruction during the class so have to make do with the Watts Atelier youtube channel for now.

A couple of worksheets for a space ship design, these were meant to be based off flower and plant references. Inspired by the awesome House of Suns book by Alastair Reynolds. Had fun coming up with these and trying out vehicle construction too.

Love those ship designs man. The second one reminds me a bit of the nova corps ships from Guardians of the galaxy mixed with the ship from event horizon lol

Also about the figures from life, in my experience I've noticed that if you're going to use value when doing a quick drawing from life its best to exaggerate the values. You don't have time, especially if you're still new to it, to start soft and build it up slowly so its best to build up the contrast and forms quickly so they feel solid. Otherwise I'd also recommend taking a look at other people working. Take note of how they approach their drawings and steal from them! The good and the bad!

Hi guys long time no see :P Still going at it just not posting as often
Here's something from my second life drawing class all 5- 20 mins:

Still trying to get the hang of proportions and not really laying down values yet.
And a assoro head try,

horrible with the proportions, each ones different! but I did start today with a foundation course at Lavender hill studios, and the first lesson was all about first boxing your drawing subject with box shapes and diagonals, so will practice that for the next batch.

Those plant sketches have a really cool unique touch to them. Are they drawn with one continuous line? Nice job on doing the real-life life drawing thing, I'm sure you'll learn a lot from those. Proko has some awesome tips on gesture drawing on his youtube channel, in case you haven't seen those yet.

Hi Nathan! Thanks, no nothing special with the flowers just prismacolor marker on top, wish I could do them Kim Jung Gi style!

Some gestures to start off these are 2 mins and from the awesome 24 hours of happy

24 hours of people of all shapes and ages dancing!

Arm studies, try to apply them instead of just copy them out!

And some head studies, trying to use the method from Lavender Hill studios, think its starting to get more consistent, but have a problem with the 3/4 view, think I keep slipping into drawing shape to shape instead of the boxed proportions :P

And its been 3 months of posting, Yeah! got to move into more photoshop colour and value work, and of course work from the imagination. The CGMA courses were great the dynamic sketching was the one that really pushed me while the colour and light course was over my head!

Trying out the Reilly method for drawing heads, most of these are out of proportion, gotta take more care with the likeness.

Spamming out last nights life drawing class from 30sec to 20mins , two models at the same time and i'm getting into it now, have to work on value shading, learn cross hatching!

Some nice figures there! I think your shading looks nice like that - in the two where the lady's leaning on the mat. I'd try developing that style instead of switching to hatching. You used the side of a pencil? It's nice and subtle and you get a sense of the reflected light too.

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram