Poll: did you know that you are pretentious
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
yes
47.06%
8 47.06%
no
17.65%
3 17.65%
I'm too pretentious to choose
35.29%
6 35.29%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

a pretentious topic
I've noticed art and pretentiousness goes hand and hand. It's like peanutbutter and jelly. This isn't just limited to hipsters either. We are all a little guilty. I think it's an issue that needs to be recognized. It narrows your horizons and limits your creativity. It's for our own good to recognize it in ourselves.

I'll admit I was too pretentious to visit deviant art because of the god awful "most popular" page until a couple months ago. I'm still pretty uptight about anything that looks like anything I've seen before. When really this industry revolves around slight variations of the same thing.

Any opinions?

I just thought of something that I do! Took me a while..

Something that I have a really hard time with is when people act rudely or change their behavior A LOT around popular people to sort of gain some kind of respect, I feel like that person always act badly when I see them. And sometimes feel guilty because I sometimes glide to that side myself a bit when I talk to someone I really look up to because I get nervous that they would get the wrong impression of me.

This is something I have a hard time adjusting to. But I make myself aware of these flaws and try to work at it the best I can. Most of the time I just have strong opinions about things but I don't judge people who do it. But I have a really hard time not judging somebody when they act real badly, I get all "that person is bad".

i really have to try hard when interacting with people, i have never been great with them. i used to think i was the shit when it came to art as well, and the daggers humbled me very quickly. now i am almost too hard on myself haha. like everyone, i am still an ass from time to time.

(03-21-2012, 10:43 PM)brenthollowell Wrote: i really have to try hard when interacting with people, i have never been great with them. i used to think i was the shit when it came to art as well, and the daggers humbled me very quickly. now i am almost too hard on myself haha. like everyone, i am still an ass from time to time.

We're all an ass from time to time, someone has to.

D16c4689
I am approachable and kind to most around me. But I choose to associate with people who can hold an intelligent conversation which where I work (factory environment) is not that many I just get my reading done on breaks.

Art wise I know I am not great but I have a lot of things to do being a parent and not working in the field but I enjoy painting it calms me. I don't have many hours to invest every day but I do a bit every day try to improve.
I know the pretentious change in behavior spoken of. I have a brother who also draws, and no drama exists when we draw together, but when we share, the older brother feels like the throne to the oldest brother is threatened. The immature and irrationality of that logic stunted me from accepting I was jealous of my younger brother. My pride also kept me from progressing with what I know because I believed I needed to be better than his knowledge.
Now the only fear is worrying I might say something stupid to another artist causing them to stop. Or worse, never sharing their visual gift with the world.
I write too much to justify stuff I upload. Or not uploading some stuff because it's "too bad" or not "post worthy". I guess I want to show the best of what I do but that doesn't cut it when your worst stuff needs to be on a certain level of coherence. This causes me to post less frequently and then I'm pretentious for only showing the "best" of what I'm doing. I'm hoping livestreaming a lot more will cure that!

I'm also guilty of trying to wow other artists with my technical language of art foundations that I'm still striving to put into all art that I produce.

Guilty and for the above and in rehab just being here and being more active!