adding color
does anybody known a starters way of adding color to grey scale images for im having a hard time with it any help is great!!Angel
Funny you should ask. All I can say is look up tutorials on blending modes and adjustment layers. Even if it's just for touching up photos.

If You're starting it's probably best to avoid painting in grey scale and adding color to that and focus on painting in full color from the start. Once You understand how colors work, You shouldn't have problems with adding colors to gray scale.

But if You want advice, I can give You some useful tips:
Easiest way to add colors is to use color layer or overlay layer. Start with adding a less saturated tones and then build color range on narmal layer (on top of color unless You merge color layer with layers below). You can also use soft light brush or layer to add a bit of light and tone of the lighting. Remember if an object is illuminated by warm light (ex sunlight) colors become warmer and shadows are cooler, if it is illuminated by cool light (ex blue neon) it becomes cooler and shadows are warmer.

So if You have for example folds on an outfit, illuminated parts have not only a different value but also a different hue than parts in the shadow.

Hope that helps.
(02-18-2012, 02:02 AM)Jasielski Wrote: If You're starting it's probably best to avoid painting in grey scale and adding color to that and focus on painting in full color from the start. Once You understand how colors work, You shouldn't have problems with adding colors to gray scale.

But if You want advice, I can give You some useful tips:
Easiest way to add colors is to use color layer or overlay layer. Start with adding a less saturated tones and then build color range on narmal layer (on top of color unless You merge color layer with layers below). You can also use soft light brush or layer to add a bit of light and tone of the lighting. Remember if an object is illuminated by warm light (ex sunlight) colors become warmer and shadows are cooler, if it is illuminated by cool light (ex blue neon) it becomes cooler and shadows are warmer.

So if You have for example folds on an outfit, illuminated parts have not only a different value but also a different hue than parts in the shadow.

Hope that helps.

yes it did help a lot so thanks mate
and that tip about shadows with different hue thing is very helpful kept getting confused about that so thanks again.
(02-17-2012, 01:48 PM)gangstershit Wrote: Funny you should ask. All I can say is look up tutorials on blending modes and adjustment layers. Even if it's just for touching up photos.

cool thanks been looking at that video that dave did right before you send it too.