Eastern Time Zone
Hey all,

After discussing with meat, and listening to some videos on the youtubes, I felt the strong need to have a group on hangouts or skype while I practice.

You know, just someone to chat with/offer advice whatever, so this practicing and study thing we are doing isn't so lonely.

Right now I just really would like to hear from people in an eastern time zone, or anyone that is such an earlybird/nightowl that they could connect often with people in that eastern time zone. I'm in ATL, GA United States for reference.

I'd like to do hangouts, and skype to communicate. As far as practice themes, well we can figure that out more as we go with more members.

[font=Impact] “There is no substitute for hard work.”
Thomas Edison
[/font]

DeviantArt
CD SketchBook
I'd be interested in this

Thanks Phill! It's too easy to let myself go when studying alone so being hold accountable in a sense while studying live with a group is definitely something I want to get into.

For ref. I'm in New York, USA.

I'm usually a traditional media user, and can offer my meager experience about those. I want to transition into digital too, because it's a versatile and omnipresent media. So I could use a lot of help on that front.

Since we all have different goals in mind, we could start by setting up a time slot to study our own stuff, and put up our work in SBs.

Time slot: I prefer not in the middle of the day since I regularly run family errands like take people to doctors, etc.

Got Skype here, and will look up how to use Google Hangout.
[edit] I think I figured out how Google Hangout works. I think. https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/1140179314...1407/posts

Focus.
So, for right now, my easiest times to reliably be online will be Monday/Wednesday afternoons and potentially anytime on Sat/Sundays.

I've got to traditional painting classes I'll be posting updates on as I work on projects, and aside from that I'll be working towards illustrations for Spectrum 2015 for my table.

Sharing through a hangout and sketchbooks sounds great to me. I'll spend tomorrow afternoon trying to coordinate the hangout. Nodding to you Meat, if you'll be online in afternoon/evening.

Thomas Edison
[/font]

DeviantArt
CD SketchBook
I'm interested! I have no idea what my hours will be like once I get my schedule from work, but normally I'm available between 10AM and 2AM every day.

Google hangouts would work well for me as well. Here's my profile.
dosymedia: Did you mean you're available from 2am to 10am Eastern? That's a crazy hour. Are you working night shifts?

Still gotta figure out share screen for Google Hangout. I'm most available in evenings like 7pm and on, or mornings (as early as 6 or 7). Right now my focus is animal anatomy.

Yeah do tap me if you're on, Phill, 'cos I'm still not sure if I know how to use this. https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/1140179314...1407/posts

Focus.
No, I mean 10 AM - 2 AM (the following day), I should actually be working during mornings!

If you mean how to screenshare when you're in a hangout: there should be a sidebar (you might have to hover over the left side of the screen for it), on it's there's a green button for screen sharing.
When I clicked that screenshare button, I see my Photoshop and mouse cursor moving, but I don't see the canvas and the drawing. To top that off, nothing was actually recorded! Still figuring out Hangout it seems! But I usually do a morning study around 8am or 9am Eastern.

Focus.
Hi guys im Francisco , im 19 years old and i just finished highschool , i have been looking for a group like this , my main objective is to improve as much as i can before next october next year ( i start college then , maybe it will be FZD ) . i have most of my day free , my gmt is +1 , but i can change my sleep hours a bit if that helps me get a study group , i often find myself getting distracted and i believe with a study group i would make a better use of my time . Plus learning on my own can get reallly boring ^^
just pm me is u decide to take me in ^^ (in case u need my email is [email protected])

http://bluebear95.deviantart.com/gallery/
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-5439.html
in case u need , i posted the link to my sktchbook and my DA
Hi BlueBear! Welcome! Still working thing out here... at least on my end! I'm a bit surprised at not getting the hang out Google Hangout yet. On the most recent try, I can't even get past the automated pop up of "Invite Guest". I'm also giving Livestream a look. You don't need an account to chat, although it is a bit less interactive with only text chat among people. I can't usually hold complex conversation while drawing anyway.

Things are changing for me a bit, and it seems I'll be doing studies from 8pm or 9pm Eastern, until 11pm. So for SF time that's smack across dinner time (5, 6pm to 8pm).

https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/1140179314...1407/posts
[edit 2] I'll try things out with the CD Hangout first, and if I really can't get it I'll try Livestream.

Focus.
Ok , and ty Meat , ill look up how google hangout works , atm i know as much about it as john snow :P . i ll be taking an english exam next satarday to be able to study abroad , so this weak ill be a bit off but after that is business as usual ^^
Hey BlueBear, no problem mate! Apparently Crimson Daggers already have a hangout, so if you want to check that out: http://livestreamstatuslist.appspot.com/

The main problem I keep having with Hangout is that when I do Share Screen, my Photoshop canvas is invisible, while the rest of Photoshop, including that thumbnail in the Navigator, is visible and updating in real time... At this time, I am looking into either Livestream, or just use the aforementioned CD general Hangout. That seems private enough. If you want big groups of people, maybe try Level Up website's Hangout groups.

At this moment, I am temp-ing for B&N during holidays, so I don't have a set-in-stone time for study because of unknown shifts. It will either be way, way early morning (as in, 5:30am), or some time in the evenings... that's unhelpfully vague, I know. I'm sorry. You have me added on Hangout? I don't know how to let y'all know if and when I'm doing studies, other than announcing it in the Shout Box atop this forum.

Focus.
(10-24-2014, 07:24 AM)meat Wrote: The main problem I keep having with Hangout is that when I do Share Screen, my Photoshop canvas is invisible, while the rest of Photoshop, including that thumbnail in the Navigator, is visible and updating in real time...

I have the same problem with hangout. my solution has been to share my 'full screen' rather than just the PS application.
So what I've been doing is morning studies usually around early am's, using the Crimson Dagger's hangout. It's usually empty, and occasionally someone from outside comes in then leaves. Apparently CD Hangout is listed in a Closed FB Group that lists a bunch of different themed art-related Hangouts.

I'm trying to push the study hours even earlier to be around 7am, but they tend to really happen an hour later around 8am. I bought a USB webcam now so I'll be in Hangout whether I will be doing digital or traditional studies. Feel free to drop by, or start first and I'll join you!

Focus.
Hey everyone, sorry for disappearing on the forums and this thread in particular. I'm was working through some crazy crap and I'm back now. This is a look at the schedule I have right now, hopefully for the next months, at least through March. I never did figure out the hangouts, and I can't find the one you're referencing Meat. :/

anyone wants to hang out online, just shoot me a skype or something, nphill19, trying to keep it online anytime I have my computer up and running. Love to hear from y'all, cheers!

[Image: Schedule_2015_zps1903f5c5.jpg]

Thomas Edison
[/font]

DeviantArt
CD SketchBook