boo
Hey thanks a lot! I will check these for sure. The only tutorial I've ever watched on gesture drawing was Proko's. He explains things very well but it seems impossible for me to simplify the figure so much.. anyway I have no other option but to learn to so I'll try and follow your advice.

i think slower is better; as hypocritical as that is from me as i always try to do studies in an hour and never spend more than like a minute on a sketch. if you watch people like craig mullins paint you wouldn't believe how slow and calculated his strokes are but after 30 mins you got a masterpiece. But yea i think 60 seconds is better than 30 for what you're at, don't be afraid of scribblies, 30 seconds forces you to think of overall shape immediately, which is essentially the point of gesture; but yea spend asl long as you need really, but if you wanna get faster cut down that time, do LOTS! hundreds i mean :)

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
OKAY I sat down and made around a hundred gestures today! they are all very crappy but I'm starting to get the idea..
60 seconds each.. 30 would be impossible at this stage..

[Image: I2G1OJf.jpg]

Thats good! Its a good practice to start with a dozen or so quick gestures then a few 3-5 minute gesture and end with 1 or 2 long drawings in the 10-20 minute range. A few of the figure drawing sites have it set up in this way like pixellovely has a class mode and croquis cafe and new master academy on youtube. This way you start building your figures in stages. Start with gesture then form, then anatomy. Remember with the 1 minute gestures you dont have to worry about contouring everything. Sometimes just a single line will do for an arm or a leg. Also you dont have to do the whole body every time. Vignetting just the upper body or lower body is good to do some times for focusing on part of a pose that you find interesting.

Thank you, I started practicing those more regularly and it's really fun actually. I hope I'm getting better.

Here's an update on what I've been practicing this week.

[Image: xRc73ni.jpg]

[Image: cGWyAWv.jpg]

a study of Ilya Kuvshinov's style. not proud of this one
[Image: w23eoLk.jpg]

30 min speed paint
[Image: 5zScb1x.jpg]

live lighting study
[Image: fBEiyJS.jpg]

[Image: CseCE7m.jpg]

[Image: X9uOssQ.jpg]

[Image: jAMO0QJ.jpg]

I forgot some thumbnail studies I did, only 3 values used but I'm not quite sure I got the idea of this exercise..

[Image: FY81MNT.jpg]

[Image: EWeSqFX.jpg]

[Image: U2wNYsf.jpg]

these are from photos
[Image: 1X8nwQ2.jpg]

hello people^^ here's my update for the last weeks.

I enrolled in one short class for material studies, so here are some them.

[Image: sJoEKP1.jpg]

I also took out my old watercolors and tried them again. here is a tiny doodle, because I'm too lazy to scan the other things I painted...

[Image: 10857396_794748793926525_1383578478467653135_o.jpg]

And I've got my first real commission ever, which was to draw 15 cards, so these are some of them.

[Image: 10834894_793970457337692_543713124551369929_o.jpg]

I hope people would buy them and I will actually get paid :D

AND if you've reached the end of this post, my order of Scott Robertson's 'How to render' has finally arrived at my door after 4 months of waiting and 1 lost copy.. and I must say it is truly AWESOME! ^^

Ooooh, I like how you rendered that scoop of icecream:D

hmm you indeed drew those cute critters... maybe they're a little too cute? my head only exploded twice, maybe you could make it explode a few more times?

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
hihi thank you guys for the kind words:}

here's an update on the ice cream and 2 more materials. wool is almost the same tho

[Image: YNexX02.jpg]

p.s. I always upload my images larger but they look scaled down when I post them here. I hope they actually are scaled down for you too and not annoyingly huge..

hellooo people
here are my finished 10 material studies.

[Image: 4pEmyZp.jpg]

and an aluminium foil study which took my soul but it's DONE !! I honestly don't believe I managed to make it look somewhat realistic, and I had to rush it and I spent only 20 hours on it because my class was supposed to be tonight.

[Image: x1hRbWR.jpg]

Now I can finally start reading 'How to render' yayz^^

If you have any critiques or advices on those studies, I would be happy to read them :)

Wow you really wrecked all those material studies maggie! Are they for anything (a personal piece) in particular or just general studying? It would be cool if you could use all that knowledge from memory too

Yep those textures and foil studie look better in higher res, better than a Google hangout screen. Keep up the good work.

Thank you guys.
Patrick, they are actually an assignment for a short online class for understanding materials. And yeah, I might try some of those form memory too!

(03-01-2015, 05:35 PM)maggie Wrote: Thank you guys.
Patrick, they are actually an assignment for a short online class for understanding materials. And yeah, I might try some of those form memory too!

Can I know from what online class this is? And I agree w patrick, application pronto , so that it sticks in your brain.

It's a class by Suzanne Helmigh, very short, only 3-4 sessions on google hangouts. It's the 2nd time she's making this class and she might do it one more time but she said she's not sure yet.

oooh suzanne! she was my mentor in like april of last year, she is awesome! you did a great job on the foil, it looks photoreal and i think it definitely would if the table were also photo real, but you can easily achieve that by making the textures and stuff less in focus and having the values of the table a gradient going from light to dark; i see you're trying that, and wood is hard as crap to paint O__O..
and the cast shadow doesn't make a ton of sense but then again i dunno i wasn't there, i was lookin in the window from the eucalyptus tree...

anways, i love you thank you for taking me to whole foods those organic cherry tomatoes were really kickin.. uhh and whenever you're ready to give up that carrot, please let me know!

Hahah thank you fedodika. The cast shadow is okay imo.. about the wood - no, I haven't really tried D: which is not cool but after 2 days of trying to focus on that foil and stop checking every single site I'm in, when I finally finished it I was too bored and tired and pissed off for spending sunny Saturday at home, to make the desk look okay. but i plan on continuing making those material studies so I will add wood to the collection.

[Image: ZR0Ft2Y.jpg]

got really inspired by loish's tutorial so I thought I'd give it a try..

hey guys, here's some environmental photo study I did these days

[Image: mesa_arch_by_magdali_na-d8lrlkh.jpg]

Hey guys! It's been a while..
I started my 1st job this week - as a full-time concept artist for a local VFX studio. It was my 2nd day today and it's been super fun! I'm painting some magic lightings and stuff
Also, I enrolled in Schoolism's Environment design class and I barely manage to do everything on time.. hope it won't be like that for the next 7 weeks waw, it's suepr stressful.

blah-blah, here's my 1st assignment

[Image: e6OjeNk.jpg]

and some portrait wip which I won't finish probably..
(the neck is weird, I'm aware of that)

[Image: X10ypby.png]