Oppinions on these books about figure, anatomy and perspective drawing?
Hi,

I want to learn the basics of human figure drawing, anatomy and perspective. To give me a foundation to be able to sit for hours with the correct knowledge to practice the right way.

I have found these books....Figure drawing: design &invention by michael hampton , atlas of human anatomy for the artist and perspective made easy.

I see a lot of people have rated them quiet highly but for someone starting from a fresh what are your opinions on them? Can they give me what I am looking for?

Thanks
You could start with Andrew Loomi's book Figure Drawing for all Its Worth. You can read it for free if you google Loomis pdfs. All his other books are free online too. But my opinion for anatomy books to do is first read Loomis's book, then Michael Hampton, then you could move on to maybe Sarah Simblet's Anatomy for the Artist, Elliot Goldfinger's book Human Anatomy for the Artist or Atlas of Human Anatomy. Simblet's book is less informational than Goldfinger's but has nicer photos and illustrations. Atlas of Human Anatomy is a little more informational than Simblet but its a little dated so the photo refs are of people before they invented stuff like exercising. Goldfinger's is really the most in depth anatomical explanations you could ever need for artistic purposes. Anything beyond that and you're in the medical text territory.

Id recommend looking up anatomy videos on youtube too to cross reference. Theres quite a few channels with 3d models and explanations of muscles and bones. I think Anatomyzone is a good starting point. Also a great book is Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators. Its all about gesture which isnt just useful for animators so the title is misleading. And as for perspective all you'd ever need is one book. How to Draw by Scott Robertson and Thomas Bertling. Although it doesnt hurt to read other books but if one book has it all then its just redundant imo. It comes with like 2 hours of video demonstrations too.

Thanks a lot man :) So do you think I should learn this in a linear fashion? Like finish loomis then move on to hampton and goldfinger then force then how to draw. or take a bit from each, for example when I get to the gesture stage in loomis I would go look through all the books I have relating the the topic of gesture, draw them all out and practice all the techniques on gesture.
Hey there I like to ask something about this too. I had a bridgeman's book guide to drawing from life, I tried starting from that but all I could think was to draw like bridgeman but sometimes couldnt get what I was drawing. Until I heard Andrew Loomis which is highly recommended. And I was about to say How to draw by Scott Roberston book too << This book has everything for perspective but for someone learning like me ( I am slow), Takes a day per a page. :(

Follow your passion not your friends, They may have a cool life but its you in the end
CD
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-4764.html
DA
http://worldwarstartii.deviantart.com/
Flickr:Photography
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
What you need is stop trying to find the perfect book, and just sit down and draw. dont dwell on these things... You said you already saw those books rated highly.. why do you think that is? I know what you feel now, i was in your shoes before, you want somebody to tell you "Yes dude, do whats in this book, do exactly that, and you'll succeed" Its like... just do it man. Just get books, and do it.

Rant aside.. I have both anatomy books mentioned, and they are great, Design n invention is great to understand the figure as a whole and simplify things when you draw figures. The atlas is great to understand how muscles actually look and work.