question about style
Hi, i would like to ask regarding style. but before that i would like to introduce my self first a bit to know where i am going. I am a student and trying to study more fundamental. For now i would love to become an illustrator but in the future it will be awesome if i also work as a concept artist.  i really love to see some stylise works like Alexander Zedig, Sergi Brosa, and so on. But i am not sure where to work, if i am go to stylise with my works. Is it hard to get a job if it's so stylise(mm basically i just want to know what field most of them works)
Thank you and really appreciate anyone who read and comments :D
Sorry for my english.

The field doesnt matter. Different companies have different established styles. Like Blizzard is very identifiable. If you want to work in a specific style you could look for companies that match the style you want. Otherwise the company wont want you unless you can match their established brand. In general you dont need to worry about style as a student. Just focus on getting good fundamentals and style will come naturally. If you are really good you can work in any style you wish to adapt to.

(07-17-2015, 12:25 AM)Adam Lina Wrote: The field doesnt matter. Different companies have different established styles. Like Blizzard is very identifiable. If you want to work in a specific style you could look for companies that match the style you want. Otherwise the company wont want you unless you can match their established brand. In general you dont need to worry about style as a student. Just focus on getting good fundamentals and style will come naturally. If you are really good you can work in any style you wish to adapt to.

Hi, thanks for answering. yeah for now i am just focusing on the fundamental down, but i am just wondering like some people who have really unique style like where do they work.
i think thats true good fundamental and you can change to any style, thanks for the tips :D

Hey insbox!

Yeah, so long as you have your fundamentals down, focus on what feels natural to you and what you enjoy.
If you make good art, no matter the style, there will be a company that _needs_ you.

Hmm, I know that Brosa was working for for Kemojo Studios (http://www.kemojo.com/) in 2014. Probably still is.
Zedig was working for Activision in 2014, he probably still is as well, idk.
Dave Rapoza tried that new style which was ballin' and ended up doing work for the X-Men movie.

Just tryna reinforce that if you make good art, no matter the style, Art Director's will need you.

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
(07-29-2015, 11:25 AM)smrr Wrote: Hey insbox!

Yeah, so long as you have your fundamentals down, focus on what feels natural to you and what you enjoy.
If you make good art, no matter the style, there will be a company that _needs_ you.

Hmm, I know that Brosa was working for for Kemojo Studios (http://www.kemojo.com/) in 2014. Probably still is.
Zedig was working for Activision in 2014, he probably still is as well, idk.
Dave Rapoza tried that new style which was ballin' and ended up doing work for the X-Men movie.

Just tryna reinforce that if you make good art, no matter the style, Art Director's will need you.

hey Smrr, thank you. yeah now i am trying to learn some fundamentals just afraid if i want to do more stylise in the future that will be hard for me to find a job. thanks for the informations of where they are working. :D

The best advice I can give on this subject is to ignore it. When you say "this is my style" you cut yourself off from making the best art that you can. Style should always be freely made creative choices you make in order to make the best image possible. When you impose style over your work, you are applying constraints where you no longer have the mobility to make all those creative choices, leading to a worse potential outcome.

When people say that style should come naturally, they don't mean that you should pick a style you naturally feel drawn to. Rather they mean that style should be the accumulation of your creative choices across different works.

If you can only do work within the parameters of a style or a few styles, you naturally will only get jobs within those parameters. If you are really good within those parameters and there is an active demand for things of that kind, you will get a lot of work. If you either aren't very good or there isn't a market for it, you won't get work.

If you can work in very broad parameters, you open yourself up to more job opportunities. When you're well established you don't need this broad spectrum of work and if you'd like, you can narrow your sights and focus on a certain kind of work, get way better at that and cash in big because you're now one of the best (let's say) sci-fi illustrators on the market.

I strongly disagree smrr here. Art directors will not naturally need you. If there isn't a market for the things you do, you will not get work. Rapoza demonstrated that there was a market for his kind of work, art directors and marketing people noticed that and decided to cash in. If there is no pre-existing interest, you will find it very very difficult to make anyone swallow your style. Anyone hiring your for it is then taking a big risk. If it's successful, you win big but if it isn't, you loose.

You can be the best art nouveau artist on the block but very few people will hire you. This is simple business. Supply and demand. If you're a well established artist you can sometimes create a demand by demonstrating your product but this isn't something that happens all that often to people early in their careers.

A little off topic but if you want to be better prepared for a career in art, take business and marketing courses. Artists suck at the business side of things and those with even modest skills in this win out (Noah Bradley, Anthony Jones etc.). Look over the things Noah Bradley does and try and dissect how he markets himself. I don't even like the guy that much but he does understand marketing fairly well. The "Don't go to Art School" thing blew up and I'd bet you that he knew it would. A provocative title, a large audience of students trying to self teach, bad formal art education all over the world, a lot of under-skilled and frustrated students in said schools, a booming business for online art education sources and several self taught artists that are very popular now. It was a perfect setup for his article and he nailed it. It's this kind of stuff you can do if you want to be a "man/woman of the people" when it comes to art.

Discord - JetJaguar#8954
Ok so I agree with the others of course, "style" isn't something you create and decide on, it is something that you develop and come to as a result of just doing art for a while. To set out to be an artist like Zedig or whoever, seems to me to be a restriction that you don't want to apply to yourself before you even begin. Let yourself develop and have patience.

Studying art and building skills takes time; a long time. During that time your tastes may change, your ideas may change, your motivations may change. You cannot forsee this happening, so yeah, don't be concerned so much about style and how that relates to getting work.

I fully agree that the business side of art is important to also begin to learn and start to understand and look into alongside developing your art skilils. I don't think it is so important if you are early on in the game and all focused on fundamentals training, but it shouldn't be forgotten and definitely will be crucial when you get closer to getting jobs. It is probably a bit more immediately important for freelancers than for studio artists, but in general it does tend to be overlooked.
Noah is very far from a good role model for me as he leaves me with the general impression that I have just listened to a tv shopping channel show host, but I do concede that he has made it work for him by being smart about his content and his timing and approach. So there are some useful principles that can be learned. But anyway, don't worry about this too much now and certainly don't go thinking about becoming a man/woman of the people when it comes to art. Live your own journey.

Just start your studies, enjoy the journey and see where it takes you. You are entitled to, and can guarantee absolutely nothing in this life so don't worry so much and take things so seriously all the time either.

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
Hi, Tristan Berndt, Smrr, Adam Line and Amit Dutta. thanks for taking your time to answering my question :D .It is interesting to see different opinions, well i agree that i think my taste will change eventually. also thanks for the tips to learn more about marketing.