Poll: Art school or DONT!
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Art school
31.25%
5 31.25%
NO NO NO NO NO!
68.75%
11 68.75%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Art Schools VS Self taught
Going to art school is a wonderful experience, for those who can afford it.

I myself went to a year in art foundations, and would never regret it for anything in the world. It was amazing to have life drawing, professors to ask questions, other students to get feedback from and to give feedback... And, for someone like me, it gave me much needed focus on this area, inside and outside of school. It was the best year of my life.

I think that anyone can teach themselves art-- It requires a great deal of patience and initiative. You have to be able to push yourself on the worst days as well as the best. School can give you that motivation, because you're paying for it, and it can give you instruction you might otherwise be lacking.

You have direction written out for you on a platter-- Your days are filled with artistic assignments and goals, and during your spare time, it's only natural to continue, spurred on by this inspiration.

To be a self-taught artist on your own is much harder, but a lot less expensive. The key is simply to draw everyday, to think about what you're drawing everyday, and to study. Instead of having that plan on a platter for you, you have to write it for yourself, and you have to take yourself to your own classes everyday.

Either method works, and has their advantages and disadvantages. I might be more suited to art school than being a self-taught artist-- I absorb more when I'm corroborating and communicating with other people. Since this isn't possible, at least not face-to-face kind of thing rather than this awesome forum, I'm content with doing the best I can on my own. And with the help of all you fine folks. Grin

Sketchblag

Join our Study Group: The Velvet Revolvers!  Let's work hard together!