Environment Design Mentorship call for interest
This sounds like a great idea! I'm up for it!
Can we still join? Absolute beginner with illustration (not with Photoshop, at least), but this looks so interesting that everything that I can learn will be greatly appreciated. Cheers! :3
im in sounds like fun :D
I'm in. My name is Matt. I recently humbled myself and moved back in with my family in order to draw 8+ hours a day free of distractions. Environments haven't been a big focus of mine but I intend to take advantage of a more experienced teacher and hopefully contribute in a positive manner to others in the group. Lookin' forward to working with you guys.

This is my sketchbook if you're up for trying to help me flounder about less...yeah .__.

http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/showthre...7#pid82417
Hello,

I would like to join if its still possible. I am an Animation/Illustration student in my final year at SJSU. My focus is on Illustration. I want to improve my environment skills. I found out about this website yesterday when Alex Negrea was talking about it in an interview.

Thanks!
Awesome ! there is a lot of people joining ! hope this will start soon !
Wow everybody, thanks for the great response! I didn't expect so many people so soon! Where do you all hide during the day? :P

I am quickly learning that I already can't respond to everyone's comment personally, but just know that I am reading all your comments and going to any links to your work and checking it out.  If you haven't posted a link to your work already, please do so. It is helpful for me to get a feel for where you are at! Cheers!

@StayinWonderland:  You pose a rather unique challenge. Your work is brilliant when it comes to integration of photos, composition, perspective and mood. It is clear that you know how to apply your fundamentals and photobash like an absolute beast.
I will definitely try and talk about some of my own processes and using abstraction and chaos to generate ideas.  If you were to participate I would probably also get you onto a slightly different track. I don't think I could teach you anything new about creating polished photobashed pieces.  Instead I would have you focus on the ideation, design sketching and drafting phase and get the guts of your piece down using linework and painting only to start with; heck maybe even just doing it traditionally, but definitely no 3D and NO PHOTOs for you from the start. That comfort zone is something I can see you might benefit from being forced away from since you already have that well covered :)

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
Amit, to be honest I'm new at drawing digitally, do you think I could still go in? I don't want to be a burden for anybody. For now I'm just following ctrl-paint tutorials, but still..
@Wasgodx. As I mentioned I want to keep this open to everybody. If you want you can use traditional tools that is fine I just won't be the best at giving workflow tips for trad.
You are welcome to follow along and participate as best you can. Depending on your level you might get a lot of "need to work on fundamentals" type crits that are relatively short, but hey that won't be a burden if you are ok with it :)

Admittedly environments are completely lacking in my gallery. This is seriously something I need to remedy, and I'd love to participate. :D

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
Hey, i would love to be part of this workshop!

My names Rhys, I'm a 4th year student at Massey Uni studying illustration. I'm particularly interested in concept design. I would love help in any techniques for designing better environments. For actual Technique I need some help with brush efficiency, composition, shape, color control and photo bashing and.. actually a bit of everything haha.

It would be suuuper awesome of you to have this workshop :)

Here's the small amount of work I have online, no actual environments on here though. https://www.behance.net/RhysHumphrys
Star 
Wow, thank you very much for the iniciative, I am so very interested. 
I hope i am able to participate when time comes, as it's already noted in my schedule.

Cheers
(08-12-2015, 10:35 AM)Amit Dutta Wrote: @Wasgodx. As I mentioned I want to keep this open to everybody. If you want you can use traditional tools that is fine I just won't be the best at giving workflow tips for trad.
You are welcome to follow along and participate as best you can. Depending on your level you might get a lot of "need to work on fundamentals" type crits that are relatively short, but hey that won't be a burden if you are ok with it :)

I'm interested on digital painting so I'll try to make sure to improve enough for the mentorship. I don't mind having to work a bit more on specifics or the critics (ofc as they are respectfully and everything) :)

I'll do my best!
@wasgodx:  If anything besides improving on general digital techniques, try and look at the basics of constructing 1,2 and 3 point perspectives. Perspective is essential to any environment work, so the more you know the better.  Glad to have you on board!

@RottenPocket:  Glad to have you on board too! Hopefully I can help!

@sloppybrush... ahhh one of Mr Katz's "children" I am guessing? Hopefully I can help you out with all of that Rhys! :)

@Aumes, will be glad to see you around :)

Amazing Amit, thank you so much for offering this!
My name is Caro and I've been around here since January last year, a bit on and off, depending on how much free time I have. Environment and backgrounds are definitely my weak points and I've already tried to tackle the subject myself, but I haven't been very successful. I hope I will have enough time to really join and participate, as I think it would help me a lot having some more structure and somebody who shares his experience. I will definitely keep my eye on it!
If you'd like to have a look at some of my current work you can do so in my sketchbook:
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-4649-page-7.html

SKY IS THE LIMIT

DeviantartSketchbook
(08-12-2015, 08:01 PM)Amit Dutta Wrote: @wasgodx:  If anything besides improving on general digital techniques, try and look at the basics of constructing 1,2 and 3 point perspectives. Perspective is essential to any environment work, so the more you know the better.  Glad to have you on board!

Ty man :) I'm training both traditional and digital at the same time, so, I think I'll be able to train perspective before getting to the this!

Glad to be on board :)

@Cyprinus, your portfolio is amazing. Wish I could critique, but I'm a newbie on here so :)
Hey Amit, its Yog from FB. This course sounds wonderful, it's just what I need! I also want to be a professional environment/background layout artist like yourself. You are probably already familiar with my work but here is a link just in case, http://www.yogjoshi.com

Over past few months I graduated from SVA (studying illustration) and worked on a few card illustrations for FFG and AEG. Even though I am getting professional work I don't feel like a professional. My work is stale and nowhere near where I would like it to be. By taking your course I wish to improve my composition, narration, mood/color. Also I would like to see your technique(s) in digital painting. And finally I would like to know more about your journey in becoming a pro artist and any wisdom you gained along the way. :-)
Thanks!!!
Yog

(08-13-2015, 03:55 AM)yog joshi Wrote: Hey Amit, its Yog from FB. This course sounds wonderful, it's just what I need! I also want to be a professional environment/background layout artist like yourself. You are probably already familiar with my work but here is a link just in case, http://www.yogjoshi.com

Over past few months I graduated from SVA (studying illustration) and worked on a few card illustrations for FFG and AEG. Even though I am getting professional work I don't feel like a professional. My work is stale and nowhere near where I would like it to be. By taking your course I wish to improve my composition, narration, mood/color. Also I would like to see your technique(s) in digital painting. And finally I would like to know more about your journey in becoming a pro artist and any wisdom you gained along the way. :-)
Thanks!!!
Yog

Wouldn't mind learning from you as well! Amazing work. Hope you don't mind that I check it from time to time from some motivation and inspiration?

Keep your head up, you'll see, everything will be better. Just a newbie but if you need anything just say. :)
(08-11-2015, 01:32 PM)Amit Dutta Wrote: @Punk: Git on boahd! Should be fun....and a lot of work...but fun
@Zearthus: Ha, yeah I think we know eachother enough :)
@Adam: Awesome! Hopefully I can help!
@U3-C : All levels welcome man, this is about your development, not about having already jumped through the right hoops. Glad to see you back on the forum! :)
@Xiagabe : No problems man, and nice work! Great character work, and you have some beautiful colour and mood in your enviros already. Hopefully you will learn some new things to amp that up even more. About start dates, I updated the post. I don't think I will be able to start until Mid-Late September at the earliest. Depending on my workload I may have to push it out a little bit more, but I won't start it later than November as I don't want to encroach into people's holiday periods over Christmas

Also in general for anyone reading, once again, THERE ARE NO SPOTS TO BE FILLED. I want all skill levels and anyone who wants to join to benefit. If there are dozens of you, I might have to shorten my crits or choose a couple to focus on each week, but I will do my best to give feedback to each and every one who participates.

That sounds awesome. I'll be looking forward to hearing more about this. Also, thank you for the kind words. That time works great for me and I'm very certain I will be participating between everything! It's time to get hyped!!!
Hi Amit,

I'm mad keen to sign up for this. I'm a junior 3D artist (portfolio here: http://bkeenan.cgsociety.org/) and have been meaning to get into 2D stuff for a while now. This is just the kickstart I need. I really want to build a solid foundation of the fundamentals. Hopefully your course will help!

Cheers,
Barry