Inktober 2015
Hey guys! I'm late but Jon told me to join so I thought I would post my stuff in here as well! :D

I usually just sketch with the regular ball point pen but otherwise I suck at inks. So I try to change my method and tool each day to challenge myself and try something new and learn a bit more.. :)

I'm short of 2 but I'll be doing them today!

You are your only limits!

Sketchbook
Blog
Portfolio
Great stuff from everyone! Welcome back Vlada, they keep getting better each day (I guess that's what's supposed to happen!). Welcome Lale! Love that deer / centaur creature, and your no. 7 is really cute and fun (they are all looking good tho).

I didn't have energy today so found an old drawing to ink over, pretty happy with how it turned out after all. I was a bit hesitant on the hatching since I screw it up so easily, feel like I should've either left it without any hatching or been braver and added a lot more. Still works ok I think.

[Image: J4js9Yk.jpg]

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453
Looks cool Jyonny, it's such a hard call to push on or call it a day.

Would be cool to try one sketch in loads of different styles but there's just never time!

LaleAnne, Vlada, Love your work!

I tried to do the hearse, ah.

Something simpler tomorrow I think!

Attached Files Image(s)

day ten

Attached Files Image(s)

slowly catching up
Day 9 - minotaur
[Image: oct_09_15_by_punk_a_cat-d9co4hq.jpg]

Day 10 - Satyr
[Image: oct_10_15_by_punk_a_cat-d9co51r.jpg]

Day 11 - Phoenix
[Image: oct_11_15_by_punk_a_cat-d9cordp.jpg]

Lurch The inking looks okay, just the drawing that's a bit off.

Kayo kid Nice little constructions! keep going ^^

Punk cat Like Vlada yours keep getting better each one! Maybe I should've done a theme too. Maybe next year.

I caught a cold, so hard to draw when I'm sick so I'm just posting up some practice stuff from my sketchbook today, from some videos from Paolo Rivera on youtube:

[Image: W8AfNcj.jpg]

PS I posted up my comic strip in my sketchbook if anyone wants to see the full thing. Comments / crits welcome!

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
JyonnyNovic: Your shading techniques are super elaborate. I just sort of wing it, but I really like the results you got with  the crosshatching in those freeform shapes especially. Goes to show that doing things with a system can really make a difference. Hope you get better soon!

LaleAn: That last drawing has a really nice gesture. Your faces feel a bit stiff though. They're technically correct, but it kind of feels like you use photorefs of models for them or something. Maybe you should try exaggerating features and drawing things from weird angles.

vlada: Those graphic shapes. 10/10. Do you do an underdrawing or plan things out in advance, or do you just have an idea in mind and wing it? Either way is impressive.

Got home way too late yesterday and fell asleep the moment I got the chance to lie down, so here's two days worth of drawings in one post. I tried experimenting with ink+watercolors and I'm reasonably pleased with how well those work together, but the compositions in the landscapes I tried to come up with were pretty horrible. I guess composition is one of those things I just don't have a feel for yet. Today I've been practicing my perspective eyeballing skills and studying some stuff from Framed Ink and a Metal Gear artbook.

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks Jyonny, I might have another go at it sometime.

Punk-A-Cat - love that minotaur!

Lodratio - Nice pages you got there, the windmills are really nice.

Tried a different approach after reading through the tutorial that Jyonny posted.

Attached Files Image(s)

This one has some sloppy line work, but is still my best one so far.

Attached Files Image(s)

Sorry I keep doing the post and run, totally impressed by everyones work, but can't remember how to spell anyones name by the time I get to the bottom of the scroll.. such fail..
Still really amazed at how different everyones style is - I'm reading Framed Ink at the moment and the example of a bunch of talented plein air artists all painting the exact same scene differently made me think of this thread and all the styles using the same medium.
Everyone has their own mark to make :)
Day 12 - Sphinx - I was bored to death with lions, so tried using a cat instead, not sure it works, but was more fun to draw, artistic license eh?
[Image: oct_12_15_by_punk_a_cat-d9ctyms.jpg]

Lodratio Thanks man. I really suck at hatching so need to be very thoughtful like that, trying to develop better instincts for cross hatching. I wanna do full figures and have the hatching like this: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736...283eba.jpg but so far I cannot get the lines consistent in spacing / thickness. More practice!

Lurch That worked out really well!

Kayo kid Great stuff, your faces look a little stretched / flattened out on the front though. That far side of the face could be foreshortened a little more. You could try to mark out the corners of the brows after you do your ball / middle line and try and keep the features within that.

Punk cat No worries, just keep posting your shiz : )

Inked over some old stuff again. It's kinda nice to just focus on the inking and not really care too much if I screw up the picture.

[Image: h1Wcyje.jpg]

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
really like that last face jyonny.

today more horror movie essentials, torches! haha.

Hopefully by the end of inktober I'll have drawn a big inventory of items.

I really wanna do some environment type stuff but I think that's a way off yet.

Attached Files Image(s)

JyonnyNovice: Damn, that is really nice looking. I feel like on top of top notch shading technique you'd need to really know the shape of the thing you're trying to shade to get that kind of result though. Better start grinding that anatomy.

Don't have anything special today, but I found a sketchbook with really heavy paper so I'll start doing more stuff with watercolors soon.

Attached Files Image(s)

@JyonnyNovice: Thank you! I wrote down your critique so that I can refer to it while doing some head drawings this week.

Attached Files Image(s)

Day 13, unicorn.. so did not want to do this one, totally sick of drawing horses, I think my lack of enthusiasm shows badly
[Image: oct_13_15_by_punk_a_cat-d9cy99n.jpg]

Vlada - that really means a lot to hear, thank you <3!! 

Kayo Kid - hey thank you kindly man! That's what I've been aiming for so I'm glad it's been translating 

___________----_________------,,_,,,__

Top Cat - I'm seeing improvements in every post!

iamorim - is that mortal kombat?! :D

LaleAnn - great stuuuuufff, hnng!

________---_______

Big fails from me
Go hard or go home!
I'm still playimg catch up, gotta do 2 more tonight

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
Did a new drawing today but then got this shaking in my hand (probably from some kind of internal pressure / stress of inking it). So just some more old things inked today. I finished thumbnailing my new comic though, gonna start on that tomorrow as well.

[Image: B9MG131.jpg]

[Image: 1M9i4BX.jpg]

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
smr: That masked guy came out really well. Great balance of black and white shapes and a nice sense of flow.

I've been practing anatomy and doodling around today, so here's a page of that.

Attached Files Image(s)

Spooky crypt again today.

Attached Files Image(s)