Approach to Figure Drawing
So how would you describe your approach to figure drawing? Or, in other words, what is figure drawing *for*?

Do you just try to get a sketch down quickly? Do you focus on the gesture? The structure?

What do you try to learn from it and what do you think, academically speaking, one should learn from it?

I'm commencing a Challenge for myself, you see; I will be doing 30 minutes of figure drawing every morning after I wake up for as long as I can, without breaking the streak.

The thing is that there is no one way to do figure drawing. It depends on what you need to work on. I like to do quick figures as a warm up, to get myself going. However there are times where I need to work on my anatomy so I focus on the structure, or perhaps the muscles of a certain part of the body like arms or legs. Gesture is good if you want to work on movement or rhythm of a pose. Eventually you will have to work on all of this in order to get truly successful figures.

Do you have a sketchbook here? You definitely should, or else I am unable to look at your work and suggest what your figures may need.

There, I created one. I hope it's somewhat interesting.