mish's sketchbook
Some gesture studies and sketches from the zoo.

Attached Files Image(s)

(04-13-2023, 08:15 PM)mish Wrote: Some gesture studies and sketches from the zoo.

Attached Files Image(s)

Don't click on quote click on new reply to make a new post also welcome since i am the first post here.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
(04-13-2023, 11:38 PM)darktiste Wrote: Don't click on quote click on new reply to make a new post also welcome since i am the first post here.

Hi! Thanks for the tip! I just joined today so I have no idea what I'm doing yet. I heard about this site from one of Dave's interviews so I figured I'd check it out. I'm in need of a drawing community!
Welcome to Crimson Daggers!

Nice zoo studies, I love the almost chiseled look of the lines. For the figures, watch out the limbs lengths and curvature. They have enough volume and outline seems ok, but they're curved beyond what bone would allow sometimes and it's not helping their flow. If you want dynamism focus on the torso and involve the pelvis more in the movement.

To express movement, choose the type of line and the direction with care. Check out this slide created for Tangled vis dev, courtesy of Glen Keane.

[Image: tumblr_nh21ewxvRY1t2ae3oo4_1280.jpg]
(full post)

These two posts I randomly found are also worth reading. They explain a few concepts of rhythm well: The road of rythm, Offset curves.

[Image: 1819_12_22-abstract-sketch-human-body.jpg][Image: IofL.jpg]

Don't forget to tell us what you're seeking to improve so we can better help.

(04-14-2023, 10:41 PM)dimensional-knight Wrote: Welcome to Crimson Daggers!

Nice zoo studies, I love the almost chiseled look of the lines. For the figures, watch out the limbs lengths and curvature. They have enough volume and outline seems ok, but they're curved beyond what bone would allow sometimes and it's not helping their flow. If you want dynamism focus on the torso and involve the pelvis more in the movement.

To express movement, choose the type of line and the direction with care. Check out this slide created for Tangled vis dev, courtesy of Glen Keane.

[Image: tumblr_nh21ewxvRY1t2ae3oo4_1280.jpg]
(full post)

These two posts I randomly found are also worth reading. They explain a few concepts of rhythm well: The road of rythm, Offset curves.

[Image: 1819_12_22-abstract-sketch-human-body.jpg][Image: IofL.jpg]

Don't forget to tell us what you're seeking to improve so we can better help.
Thank you for the welcome and the feedback!
I tried replicating Michael Hampton's "early gesture stage" drawings with reference. Though I feel I'm way too stiff for that, I didn't consider proportions or correct landmarks, I just wanted to capture movement. I should've stated that! Anyways, the resources you posted are great and I will study them in the future! I'm way too intimidated (so far) to attempt correctly drawing human figures. I really want to work on letting go of that fear.

Also I'm still learning how the site works so I'm sorry if I post something in the wrong way. I still don't know how to correctly post more entries in this thread. Should I reply to my first post? I've tried looking for a guide but I couldn't find any.
There no secret to fear you take the pen and start small and you build the momentum toward harder concept and challenge.Starting with the human figure is often to far a head to build the trust necessary and it deal with a lot of concept that amateur fear such as perspective and light if i can remember my early day correctly.

For an easy start i recommend https://drawabox.com go to the leasson section and start from zero.

If it look easy don't worry about it just keep doing it you will eventually reach something that challenge you... as artist the fight is mostly a question of patience and endurance.If you have not started building confidence don't feel discourage yet we all can start drawing a stick men the only thing stopping you is the word you believe...

My Sketchbook
(04-16-2023, 06:09 AM)darktiste Wrote: There no secret to fear you take the pen and start small and you build the momentum toward harder concept and challenge.Starting with the human figure is often to far a head to build the trust necessary and it deal with a lot of concept that amateur fear such as perspective and light if i can remember my early day correctly.

For an easy start i recommend https://drawabox.com go to the leasson section and start from zero.

If it look easy don't worry about it just keep doing it you will eventually reach something that challenge you... as artist the fight is mostly a question of patience and endurance.If you have not started building confidence don't feel discourage yet we all can start drawing a stick men the only thing stopping you is the word you believe...

I tried Drawabox 2 years ago and I wouldn't call it easy haha. I tried the 250 boxes challenge too but I didn't have the patience to do more than 103 boxes in one sitting. 
I also finished the courses from Paintable that taught me some stuff but only enough to get started.
 I'm now studying from Michael Hampton's book and videos, Carolin Peters' and a bunch more Youtube videos.
I feel like I'm now starting to discover what lectures I can actually follow. Anything too technical where you have to precisely measure stuff makes me confused. Big shapes look more friendly to me. But maybe the technical stuff can be learned even with a brain like mine. I don't know.
So would you say you're more of a organic landmarks guy? Muscles, joints, the relationship between features (not as measured geometric shapes but things like "the bottom of the nose is also the bottom of cheekbones"), this sort of thing? Or boxes and cylinders are already working well?

By easy i meant to content is accessible and pretty introductionary not that it can't prove to be difficult to do.

Visually measuring isn't just a question of proportion it also somewhat relate to perspective.Overtime you can get good at estimating those relation but there is no understanding it guess work to nausea... you should probably find a balance.

The idea of drawing box isn't to do it in one sitting i don't think it was ever instructed that way... think of the draw a box exercise as your warm up session you can go from anywhere between 15minute to let say an hour... the problem with not being ok with drawing boring subject is that it can be detrimental to your ability to commit to a finish piece.

If you manage 103 in one sitting that great i can't say if i can even do that many without loosing my marble.There is a certain importance to drill which is in my eye to let us understand that to progress you have to go throught uncomfortable moment.Always moving away from thing you struggle with can become a strenght to your own detriment if you want something but avoid the solution you will be force to use crutch.

The problem with technical drawing is that there isn't anyone sitting behind you offering you the reason as to why it wrong that why you feel more comfortable with guess work which you feel you don't have to explain to anyone is what most artist go by and it natural... but how are you going to cast a shadow?How will you understand how two box near each other do not occupy the same space when they are not suppose to... you need perspective to avoid guess work.

My Sketchbook