Jaccarran's Book of productive fun
Sketches go here.
Quickly: I'm Jordan or Jacarran, I'm 19, Australian, currently working an intern role in the Arts department of a highschool, I'm training to become a skilled fantasy illustrator.
Some of my favourite artists are Shaun Tan, Luke Mancini, Miles Johnston, nearly any art done for Blizzard Enterainment.

Problem: I want to be good at art.
Problem: I waste a lot of time on facebook, youtube reddit.
Mission plan: Do less of the 2nd thing and more of the first thing.
If I'm not using paper, my digital stuff will be on Procreate using an iPad Pro 9.7inch.
I'm working on form and some value lately before moving onto colour. I have a stack of books I'd like to get through this year including some Loomis and Carlson publications.
Sketches of a sharpner and duck heads for the night. 
I need to remember to not draw faster than I can observe detail.

Attached Files Image(s)

Being  a bit lazy and nervous about drawing. I just have to forget about failure and draw.
I have a new copy of Drawing on the Right Side so I'll finish reading that shortly with exercises.

Attached Files Image(s)

(02-29-2016, 03:24 AM)Jacarran Wrote: Being  a bit lazy and nervous about drawing. I just have to forget about failure and draw.
I have a new copy of Drawing on the Right Side so I'll finish reading that shortly with exercises.

Don't be afraid! Attack a drawing like you would a big spider on your carpet ;) Get some tonality and value in your sketches to bring the linework to life more.

I made some time today to draw before work hours and have grabbed the chances I got to keep sketching through the day.

Thank StoneTape, I checked out your facebook portfolio.  You've got some really cool art getting uploaded. I think your work could get boosted by some focus on colour theory/experimentation and getting crisper/cleaner brushwork going.

I'll keep that in mind and just jump in to drawings. Worst case scenario is a piece of paper has graphite on it and I don't like it. Not much consequence to fear of.

On tonality and value, I'm currently trying to focus on developing my observational skills and linework so I have a solid base. Syca Yasin (youtube), among other artists, have mentioned the value of focusing on one area at a time to learn effectively. Value is important and  is the skill I will pursue in my next sketchbook. I might even come back and try to  shade these drawings correctly at that stage.

Attached Files Image(s)

I'm getting back into the groove of drawing. I'm working on getting through the bird chapter of my book of Australian Wildlife at the moment, hence all the birds.  It'll be good to throw some still lives in. 
I'm realizing now that practicing artists spend 8 or more hours a day drawing so I need to up my single hour.

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks for the kind words! Indeed, brushwork is a kind of artistry unto itself, i am still learning my own ways of controlling a pencil and brush, I feel like i need to take more time over paintings. Actually, this may be useful for your work too. try to push one of your drawings further, see where it goes. You are definitely getting the proportions and 'feeling' of the images down. Take your time! Make it awesome :)

Nice studies, drawing birds is fun :P Keep it up!

find my embarrassing old art in my blog
My drawings from yesterday I failed uploading due to a dead laptop. I'm feeling more comfortable drawing and may  move to value studies now. (Basic observation anyhow, getting gesture, energy, emotion into my drawings will be another thing.  I've got some Loomis books printed for that stage.)

To StoneTape, that's some really good advice.  Pushing a piece to completion is something I never really do often at all. In fact I heard one artist talking about  how drastic a difference there is between a comic book artist who has actually finished a comic and one that hasn't.  Also, your recent works remind me a bit of the artist Brom's  work, his oil paintings might help you guide yourself  in finishing pieces.

To herkkusieni,  WELCOME! No one would agree that you are not off to a great start.  Maybe to not confuse yourself focus when doing colours and detail, do one at a time.  If, seperately,  you can get detail in greyscale work and then  get your colour studies correct then combining colour and detail should be easier.   Also just like StoneTape was saying, taking the time to let the work progress is fundamental. Some other artist I forget the name of talked about how most  paintings become incredibly ugly before looking great  and that part of the challenge is pushing through that period.

Perhaps if instead of *excuse* *excuse* *excuse*,  I will just jump into drawing and all problems will be solved.

Attached Files Image(s)

Scribbling from imagination for fun.

I need to broaden my range of characters/moods. So far all my imagined drawings are  solemn or cutesy happy.

Attached Files Image(s)

(03-05-2016, 01:53 AM)Jacarran Wrote: To herkkusieni,  WELCOME! No one would agree that you are not off to a great start.  Maybe to not confuse yourself focus when doing colours and detail, do one at a time.  If, seperately,  you can get detail in greyscale work and then  get your colour studies correct then combining colour and detail should be easier.   Also just like StoneTape was saying, taking the time to let the work progress is fundamental. Some other artist I forget the name of talked about how most  paintings become incredibly ugly before looking great  and that part of the challenge is pushing through that period.

Thank you, great to be here! c:
Nah everyone's their own biggest critic and I'm no exception, I'm sure I'm on the right path at least!
But I do agree, I've seen plenty of absolutely crazy paintings that start with a blob vaguely similar to the end product, haha. I guess I still need to learn proper techniques and patience, but that's why I'm here, eh? :P

Also your last creature is really staring into my soul... I love it!

find my embarrassing old art in my blog
Despite only posting for a week, I'm taking a break.
For the sake of developing good habits I'll refrain from using the computer for youtube (bar idle music) or reddit at all for the next week. Beyond that it would be good to go for a month (21 days, yarda yarda) but it'll be important to take the goal one day at a time.
I know from experience that cutting out the PC opens up a desire, via boredom, to read and draw.
No point refraining from fun video games to being distracted by reddit and youtube each day like I am now.

Today is Sunday, I will post again the Monday after next. Simple task built on consistency.
Feeling like I can loosen up a bit as I draw now It's been a week of daily drawing, though I need to clean up my linework. I'm feeling a drive to start painting too, though I'm a bit lost for what to paint beyond studies.

Attached Files Image(s)

Today was really fun. Just letting go of worry while painting and seeing what happens. I started painting a plastic skull I have. Obviously not a finished study though.
This was probably the most fun I've had in art for a little while.
ALSO, this video is great.   " Art Advice to my Past Self" - Plixik
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-SqvtoR...nel=Plixik

Edit: I added some rough face sketches from imagination. I'm getting back some confidence with the pen.

Attached Files Image(s)

Bought an iPad pro 9.7 inch. Its brilliant. Here's my stuff today as I start going through  Andrew Loomis' Fun with a Pencil. Tomorrow i ought to not zoom in so much when drawing plus another thing from my iPad.

Attached Files Image(s)

Quick face study of a face from "The Nightingale" by Edmund Dulac, among scribbles. I should invest time and effort  in a committed full attention study of things in the future. I get anxious about really committing to trying in a drawing though out of fear of it turning out bad. This is a constant thing that I think is a major crutch and hurdle for really progressing.

Attached Files Image(s)

Bit more Loomis though the chapter I'm in is feeling too tedious since i once went through this portion of the book before I may move more quickly to the stage I had left the book at. I am really enjoying doing these faces in general though, especially digitally. I will need to stay conscious of the possible dependence on brushes and digital effects many beginners develop. Using a very basic selection of brushes as well as maintaining some physical art practice might be the remedy.

Attached Files Image(s)

Who's been looking at My Sketchbook?
Great start to your sketchbook; a nice range of stuff so far. I think focusing on drawing, structure and observation skills is a good place to start, and keeping it fresh. If you feel you are flagging in one area, spice it up a bit by doing some work in another.
Be wary of study fatigue....do stuff purely for fun as well! Keep it up.

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
great bird studies! Keep practicing the good stuff!

@Amit Dutta - Thank you. Your advice about keeping art something to be enjoyed is a really helpful reminder. I ought to bring more variety into what I'm doing. The more I draw the more I feel like branching out which is good.

@alexdanila - Welcome to the forums! Your first uploaded painting is great and there's no doubt I'll be going back to bird studies. Love birds.

Drawing faces and listening to Ready Player One is very very fun.
 Here's a link to a currently working audio book of it. Completely captivating. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJt7IW1_...Audiobooks

Attached Files Image(s)

Who's been looking at My Sketchbook?