Jade's Sketchbook
Here's something I have been working on. The idea actually came from an art idea generator, and I wanted to work on a few of my painting skills and drawing style while working towards a design. 

[Image: 12802989_839453189515541_514038000058157...e=5761072B][Image: 12814348_840162292777964_494796619338793...e=5755F6D2]
Cool! Looking forward to the finished version.

Finally here is the finished version. Its been a while since I've had any critiques from people other than those who can't draw. I tend to take it more serious when it comes from a fellow artist cause everyone else doesn't know what to look for, or just says its nice. So it would mean a lot to me if anyone has anything to say. Thanks.

[Image: 10001146_840988382695355_3343252673916780212_o.jpg]
I thought it was too dark so I went back and lightened some things. 

[Image: 12792164_841019199358940_8702881846112502417_o.jpg]
Heyo,

Like the design going on your character!

I think you can push your the suggestion of volumes in your linework and rendering as well as anatomical structure.

I did a linework ontop of your original sketch, hope it gives you some ideas!

You can also check out Claire Wendling or Jeff Jone's work if you haven't already?

Claire Wendling
Jeff Jones

Good to study how they're expressing anatomy in a simple and effective manner. 

Keep up the good work!
(03-12-2016, 07:31 PM)dodeqaa Wrote: Heyo,

Like the design going on your character!

I think you can push your the suggestion of volumes in your linework and rendering as well as anatomical structure.

I did a linework ontop of your original sketch, hope it gives you some ideas!

You can also check out Claire Wendling or Jeff Jone's work if you haven't already?

Claire Wendling
Jeff Jones

Good to study how they're expressing anatomy in a simple and effective manner. 

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for taking the time to give me some pointers. I have never really been great at line work. In fact im not even sure how to get better at those suggestive lines. I like what you did around the torso. It makes her seem more solid which is kinda what I want around that area. I am going to do an illustration involving this character design so I will implement some of your pointers when I add her to those sketches. 

Right now I am working on my animal structures. If anyone has pointers on drawing felines I'd love to see it or read it or whatever. ^_^* 

[Image: 10426536_842279079232952_356382471726137...e=575FB849]

As you can see I am kind of out of practice there lol. I'm gonna keep studying though.
You can look up some animal anatomy and go from there. You should be fine.

The Preston Blair book called advanced animation has great designs for cartoon cats and things - they can be made more realistic once you get a sense for how the forms fit together. I liked your character design above. Getting more volume to the forms will help, like was already suggested. You want to use any lines you can to show the volume - the crease of arms, bracelets, the spear and hand around it can all be used to show the cylinder and sphere like forms they are made of! You did it with the waistband nicely, use every opportunity to show the form :)

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453
(03-13-2016, 12:22 PM)JyonnyNovice Wrote: The Preston Blair book called advanced animation has great designs for cartoon cats and things - they can be made more realistic once you get a sense for how the forms fit together.  I liked your character design above. Getting more volume to the forms will help, like was already suggested.  You want to use any lines you can to show the volume - the crease of arms,  bracelets, the spear and hand around it can all be used to show the cylinder and sphere like forms they are made of!  You did it with the waistband nicely, use every opportunity to show the form :)

Thank you for your suggestions. That is something I need to work on remembering for the future. I think I've seen how to suggest the shape of the spear more, sometimes I can get confused by my own shapes. 

More studying

[Image: 12805832_842418572552336_822107551283244...e=57935087]
Good studies! Learning to see the simple volumes helps so much!

I feel you can focus on how lines are used to suggest volumes overlapping, eg legs infront of body

Here are some ideas you can consider,

Keep up the good work!
Thank you for pointing that out to me. I need to train my eyes to see these things more. Back to my studies...
You'll naturalize it in no time if ya keep looking out for it and use it to good effect, all the best!
I see you forget to draw shoulder area on your animals, but dodeqaa pointed it out already. This video might be nice for you to look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuyeVN7PuTM

It shows side view, front view and 3/4 view in slow motion.

( PS. Notice how everything is moving except it's head... pretty freaky :O )
Ah yea, I see... i am going to move on to studying Elephants. I'll make sure to implement that into my studies. Thanks. ^_^
Great animal study, keep pushing yourself you have potential.

Now that the Cc is over I am back to working on improving my weak points through this project I had in mind. Beast master. I may use the character in several different illustrations just for practice. Does anyone know of any good movies to study? I would like my illustrations to be more energetic, should I study movies like the matrix or other high octane movies?

Attached Files Image(s)

Some composition studies. Found a nice site that has tons of movie stills here: http://film-grab.com/movies-a-z/  
I like it. I think I am learning from this exercise.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi jade, nice study here, thanks for referring to movie still link jade, keep it up

I love your artwork, It's Inspire me ;), Visit my sketchbook thread :
My Sketchbook
[Image: 13147296_877287439065449_2844693128571955662_o.png]
Hey Jade, great work! great studies! nice work on those cheetah studies

I see your getting to grips with your perspective and form, itll all come in time, good start so far! something that helped me alot was to do a page of basic gemotry shapes before a page of studies e.g those animal ones you have been doing, might help you too :)