Monkeybread's Dribblings
Right, so I've decided to try get involved in this awesome community of self-helpers and serial improvers. I will try and keep this updated with some of my better studies, sketches and random digital dribblings. Really keen for feedback if you're keen to give...the more brutal the better

Native Warrior
[Image: native_warrior_by_bigbwana-d4ul9kl.jpg]

Figure Study
[Image: figure_study_by_bigbwana-d4nz0hy.jpg][/i]

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
Wow I think you have amazing brush strokes on the first painting, I love it. Maybe go for BIGGER brush strokes in the background - mix it up a little - small brushstrokes all over, while they look good in your case - I still think some large/small variety would be a good thing.

As for the naked chick, whilst she looks nice and accurate anatomy wise and stuff, I think the colours are lacking - the shadows are getting quite muddy, it looks like you're adding grey to darken your flesh tones. Same with the bed sheets etc. It's a good idea to stay with a decent amount of "colour" in the piece - if one flesh colour turns in to shadow, don't simply "darken" it rather change the hue in the appropriate direction.

It's best to study paintings for this kind of thing, rather than photos, then go back to photos with your new found knowledge. Some good people to look at would be Sargent, Zorn or maybe any of the modern guys, Donato, Dan Dos Santos n such.

Keep it up!

(04-02-2012, 04:05 PM)Tooth Wrote: Wow I think you have amazing brush strokes on the first painting, I love it. Maybe go for BIGGER brush strokes in the background - mix it up a little - small brushstrokes all over, while they look good in your case - I still think some large/small variety would be a good thing.

First post in and already getting some great feedback. :) Cheers Tooth, that sounds like a great idea.

(04-02-2012, 04:05 PM)Tooth Wrote: It's best to study paintings for this kind of thing, rather than photos, then go back to photos with your new found knowledge. Some good people to look at would be Sargent, Zorn or maybe any of the modern guys, Donato, Dan Dos Santos n such.

I agree with you there, I was going off a ref photo and worked to the photo more than look at what the entire pic needed. Thanks, I will definitely be doing more artist studies than only relying on photo studies...also dying to crack into some plein air too ;) Thanks for your comment!

Typical hills of New Zealand. Plein air sketch....trying to capture the feel of an awesome mood and lighting on the side of the highway on the way back from work.
[Image: nz_hills_by_bigbwana-d4v2cfd.jpg]

speedy enviro sketch for fun
[Image: pole_station_alphaomegaomicronzeetheta_5...4qaus3.jpg]

portrait study: I know...her freaking nose is too small!
[Image: portrait_study_by_bigbwana-d4nfg6h.jpg]

A gun thingy sketch
[Image: swivel_gun_emplacement_by_bigbwana-d4q3fyw.jpg]

Studies in prep for a new illustration.

[Image: snowy_rock_studies_by_bigbwana-d4vihqs.jpg]

good landscape studies, hope your illustration turns out well.

Cool studies! I like the speedy of the enviro with the snow landscape and the spaceship, but that blurred area doesn't work for me :S You could use a cloud brush or something like that for the same trick, but that's just my opinion :)

Damn just shows it's been a while since I've been on here! Thanks for the comment Isra; that blurry bit annoys the heck out of me too, but was too lazy to go back in and fix it. :)

Man I had meant to update more frequently :/ Anyways some more recent dribblings: Apologies for size of these if they are too big...can't be bothered resizing.

[Image: where__s_my_sushi__by_m0nkeybread-d561xq8.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_m766vgZFWy1r74bnio1_1280.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_m74ms1fTLg1r74bnio1_1280.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_m73iqtU0ay1r74bnio1_1280.jpg]
[Image: sketchdump_2012_07_10_by_m0nkeybread-d56op0o.png]
[Image: tumblr_m3d88u9Rcj1r74bnio1_1280.png]

Study
[Image: bladerunner_study_2012_07_16_by_m0nkeybread-d57fkph.png]

Some of this stuff is now embarrasingly old. I will try update newer stuff as it comes..sigh so many places to keep track of.

[Image: 358ddbdb2529c0273cbcce114a4553f6-d55r88s.jpg]

[Image: the_ridgefaced_leaping_spikethumb_by_m0n...5fm73k.jpg]

[Image: mecha_girl_by_bigbwana-d4ew6m0.png]

[Image: eow_180___arctic_desert_wreck_by_bigbwana-d4mi304.jpg]

[Image: the_city_of_dimah_by_bigbwana-d4nc5nb.jpg]

[Image: btlc_environment_design_1_by_bigbwana-d4a5hlb.jpg]

[Image: move_out_by_bigbwana-d4xsiz2.jpg]

[Image: the_tribe_by_m0nkeybread-d5bzz2x.jpg]

Broccoli Roks of Phallus Prime
[Image: c7618f42b4db00c61aa24ef10de8e9e2-d5prfut.jpg]

Some studies from last two days

[Image: study_2013_01_03a_by_m0nkeybread-d5q8v0g.jpg]

[Image: study_2013_01_02c_by_m0nkeybread-d5q4d46.jpg]

[Image: study_2013_01_02b_by_m0nkeybread-d5q3xhi.jpg]

[Image: study_2013_01_02_by_m0nkeybread-d5q3pdd.jpg]

Man you're just crap.
Beatiful mountains, push the contrast up a little bit on those, nice atmo anyway.
Love the phalo-brocoidal thingy, good stuff :p

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
-Lao Tzu

Blog | Sketchbook | dA
Dammit, I knew I was. Oh well I guess I'll just have to do a million more studies.
I think my screen is a bit high on the contrast, so it tends to end up a bit low on the output side...till I get a better monitor I'm a bit stuck as I've calibrated as much as I can with this one. Thanks for stopping by :)

I have the same kind of problem with my monitor, I'm planning on getting an external calibrating device, did you try those ?

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
-Lao Tzu

Blog | Sketchbook | dA
Nice sketchbook you've got going here! I love all of your sci fi stuff and see a ton of potential here! Keep us updated!

Steve Anthony Pierce
CD Sketchbook | Artstation | Instagram | Blog | Twitter | DA | Facebook
Cool sketchbook! Your environments are really strong! Keep it up!

HeavenWill, I haven't, I might spend the cash on a decent monitor first I guess.
Thanks Pierce! Keep tabs on this sketchbook, from the end of Jan I intend to upload at least once a day.
Cheers Dom, I will indeed. Thanks all for stopping by.

Here's a study I did from life today, about 2 hours. I didn't take this as far as I wanted because I was pressed for time, so it's rough in places, and I overdid the noise last minute...mistake, but couldn't go back a step..try and ignore it :)

[Image: study_2013_01_04_by_m0nkeybread-d5qd8ko.jpg]

Anatomy Sketches from memory on my GalaxyNote 10.1
Pressure sensitive tablet with wacom tech ftw!

random snatch a doodle on the 10.1 (usually done at boring work meetings or on public transport)

Some thumbs for client work...

Awesome sauce man. Loving the grayscale stuff at the end and the colours enviros.

Live everyday like its your last one.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gdsstudio
Twitter: https://twitter.com/gdsworld
Deviantart: http://gdsworld.deviantart.com/