Monkeybread's Dribblings
great enviro love the composition of it brilliant execution. in answer to ur question, i think i did a little at the beginning of the month, but not really, :) most of it is just trying to be creative with clothing i dont like using ref at all really :)
(05-28-2013, 06:01 PM)YOLOLEX Wrote: great enviro love the composition of it brilliant execution. in answer to ur question, i think i did a little at the beginning of the month, but not really, :) most of it is just trying to be creative with clothing i dont like using ref at all really :)

Cheers :) , well whatever you're doing keep doing it!

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
Very cool stuff. What would you say helped you the most with being comfortable doing environments?

(05-29-2013, 09:31 PM)MrFrenik Wrote: Very cool stuff. What would you say helped you the most with being comfortable doing environments?

Thanks mate! I've always been more comfortable doing environments but technically mostly it's the usual stuff, value and composition are absolutely paramount, though I would say precise control of value trumps composition by a bit.I have had to work hard to develop those, b/w sketches, lots of speedpaints and studies. .Perspective i've always just "got" so never really put much effort in there. This CGMA course has actually really helped me develop a decent workflow that consolidates all the stuff i've been working on randomly over the years and things are starting to feel like they are clicking into place now.
And actually I would say a love of observing the world around me is right up there, particularly lighting conditions. I'm always staring at shadows and lighting sometimes in the most obscure and banal places which makes people look at me a bit funny lol.

Monkeybread, shit man serious levels up since I last visited. This CGMA course is like steroids or something? These enviro's are beautiful! Good for you!
Ha, I do the same thing. What CGMA course have you been taking? I've been interested in signing up for a painting course online but haven't been sure what to really get into just yet.

MrFrenik, it's the Environment Design 1 course run by James Paick. About USD 600 or so. Totally worth it IMO, but it also come at exactly the right time for me in all respects think.

Thanks Stray. I think the course has helped me consolidate the last year and a half of my practice into a decent workflow rather than teach me anything fundamentaly new. James is a good teacher and he does have a few neat tricks that I've adapted into my own workflow now.

This is CGMA week 5 assignment (the previous enviro was one of the thumbs taken a bit further. I did the two on the left in the last two hours before submission of the assignment so they are really pretty crap, but the other one probably has some value. Week 6 will be about detailing up one of these into a finished folio piece. I think I'll chose A but I might do up B as well on my own time later.
I'd really like your guys crit on whether I ruined A with my detailing when I'm done!

classic post as usual lol. lookin great monkey.

Personally i love the dynamism of C its got a lot of depth and movement too :) A it kind of stops at that big building.
(05-31-2013, 07:23 PM)YOLOLEX Wrote: classic post as usual lol. lookin great monkey.

Personally i love the dynamism of C its got a lot of depth and movement too :) A it kind of stops at that big building.

Thanks Yolo. Yeah i agree with you. I said, B, I meant C. Lol. B is a pile of pudu

C is my favourite in terms of composition, really good in that. But i like the colors of B the most.
Also be sure to show us that folio piece when it is done. :)

Cheers Eduardo...I aim to do both A and C. James loved A though so will be doing that for the course :P

speedie thing

Wonderful jobs Monkey, I like the colors of the last one. I'm curious to see the detailed versions of the paintings above, I like more the A painting than C, which is not bad... but i feel it a bit empty on the left side, the wall of windows imho lacks of narrative. Some little variations here and there should do the job. Keep on working, you're doing great. :)
These looks great. I think I agree with James, though, and pick A as my favorite. There's much more going on for greater interest than the others.

Great environment stuff monkeybread!
Thanks for the comments guys. Much appreciated. So here's what I submitted for CGMA week 6. I'm not sure if I ruined it or what...I'm still a bit tentative at the detail stage.

Thanks for the comments, Monkey. They help a lot. I can't give too much offerings on environments, although I think this one did turn out really awesome. The red really catches my attention and adds enough to make my eyes always return back to the center of the image, which I imagine is the purpose. Values all read well, there's a good sense of depth and scale, and overall I dig the design. How do you normally go about starting these?

Really sweet work here man, these environments are awesome! Looking forward to seeing more from you.

Yo Frenik, No worries man, I'm just glad you're stopping by haha. This one started a little differently to normal, I used another painting I was working on and chopped it up to bits and basically found a new comp within it then just used the values to paint it all up. So no thumbnails really. Usually I would do a bunch of really simple thumbs if it was for one illo. And by simple I mean just black and white using line weight to do any depth work and just thinking about composition and little else. Usually can pump out 1 of these every few minutes. Then I'd pick the strongest contenders and start a value or colour sketch for each one etc etc

Thanks Warburton...I'm sure there'll be lot more enviros coming

Something slightly different today and for the next 100 days! It's called the 100 days project

This is day 001. A rush job, hopefully much better to come in the next 99 days

Day 002

[Image: AmitDutta_Day002.jpg]

Week 7 CGMA wip...A or B? Added depth and scale in B, but scared I'm losing the main diagonal comp in A

Day 003, I half assed it and did a quick colour of day 002