sketchbook
So fabulous <3 And i love that you painted ghirahim since he is my favourite Zelda character *swoon* The colors on your last piece are great but watch out for the proportions. Her head looks too big for her body (if that was your intention then forget what i just said). And her left (from our point of view) arm is a bit off. When you look at the shoulder and parts of the upper arm it looks as if she is pulling her arm backwards but that contrasts with the lower arm which is being pulled forward. I hope that makes sense to you. Im very bad at exlpaining stuff :3

Good work so far, as for the recent illustration I would add that some more attantion to rendering would be good, maybe learn brushwork from masters and some material studies. Hope you will take part in CHoW!

Hey thanks!  Helpful critiques are always welcomed :) I agree about the head being a touch big still. I think I understand what you mean about the arm issue, there was definitely  some guesstimating on how to shade the areas there.

@neopatogen
All good tips! I recently set up a little area on my desk for still life/material studying.
I totally want to do the Bard CHoW if schedule permits. I would be doing myself a disservice otherwise considering bard is my favorite class to play :D

~
Hello Aere! Your stuff looks good! I love the way you color your characters, looks really charming.

If i can suggest, practicing figure drawing will help a lot how you lay down your sketches, it would look more natural and better. You can try take a picture of yourself with the pose you wanna work on, that would be really helpful.

Hope to see more of your stuff! See you around :)
Thank you, Miguel :) That is a good reminder, it's been far too long since I've done anatomy gestures to loosen up.

Here is a portrait I made for someone. This is one of those paintings I debated letting see the light of day anywhere else since it turned into another generic, clay-looking subject. Never the less, it was an interesting coloring exercise.
(ima

~
Really nice paintings, although a little stiff as Miguel said. Draw the head and body together in one gesture and avoid stemming the body after you've decided on a head you like. I'm guilty of this as well, as I often slap on a random pose to go with my super-dynamic perspectivized head. 

The arms especially. Turning the hand more towards her face might add more depth to the painting.
(03-11-2017, 03:23 AM)Hozure Wrote: Really nice paintings, although a little stiff as Miguel said. Draw the head and body together in one gesture and avoid stemming the body after you've decided on a head you like. I'm guilty of this as well, as I often slap on a random pose to go with my super-dynamic perspectivized head. 

The arms especially. Turning the hand more towards her face might add more depth to the painting.

This is really helpful and I genuinely appreciate the time you put into creating the visual <3.  I've been painting mostly heads for years (out of lack of confidence to attempt anything more complex). It's a definite learning curve. I don't think I could have narrowed down this particular issue so precisely had you guys not pointed it out.

~
A photo study I'm slowly chipping away at in the evenings while binging on Netflix (you can watch the sessions on my twitch).  I censored the original photo out of respect for my friend's privacy who was helping me with some reference shots that day.

It's still in the beginning stages and I roughly eyeballed the proportions so I'm adjusting things as I go along. My main intent with this study is to practice better brush control. We'll see how that goes.

Attached Files Image(s)

~
Here's a rough sketch for a new painting I'm working on. I have little experience with backgrounds so I'm nervous/excited to see how far I can push myself with this one. I know it's a simple background but I'm taking baby steps and will gradually attempt more complicated scenes.

(k's wow painting 2017 sketch)

~
Finished painting with the initial rough for comparison and some anatomy studies.

[attachment=99211]

~
nice work!
i especially like the way you paint your forms/values- sometimes mine become muddy/too dark because of my poor use of color

keep going, i really like your stuff here :D

Sketchbook     Artstation    Faceboob   
Eep. Been a while :)  I've had a slow start to art-ing this year so here are some pieces from the last stretch of 2017. I'm in a definite art slump currently and haven't been too happy with any work I've made recently.

(ffxiv firey au ra comm)

(roberto's drk)

~
Post some sketches so we can see where you're at construction wise ;)

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
Really digging your sketchbook. You have some very nice paintings. Definitely post more!! :D

Heey lookit that! Some 2018 art. Sun  

(j's comm with feathery creature on shoulder)

~
I got a sakami-chan feel in here.Idk if you know her she as similar style to your.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
i have a challenge for you, its to avoid the "rectangle" pose. See most of your pieces can fit perfectly in a rectangle, and though youve studied a few more dynamic poses, you arent applying it. You have to bend that torso, camera angle, legs, arms etc. in interesting ways to really engage the viewer.

So yea, if you want a more static pose, just play with the camera angle to at least show depth and drama, you cant just do a 3 quarter or full on view or profile forever, plus it will make you learn more and explore to improve everything else

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
Damn, can't believe this place is still kicking but glad for it.

~
It's funny how nearly everyone I've seen around is either joining or returning to CD. It's almost as if we collectively decided we needed an art forum in our lives again!

I'm not exactly impartial when it comes to rougher painterly styles, I'm just crazy about them, but I have to say like this grayscale portrait. I'm pretty curious to see what your colors look like now!

I noticed that, too! It's curious since I didn't have any particular reason to pop in other than mild curiosity.

I really enjoy visible brush strokes, although I'm hoping to clean up my rendering a bit since I struggle with bringing things to a cleaner polish.

~