Yo - let the journey begin
Hey All, 

Thought I'd post and say hi to all you lovely mo fos. 

I recently quit my job, in order to give me more time to paint, so I thought I'd better get my ass active in some sort of community, and been as Dave and Dan are the ones who inspired me to start painting/drawing again. What better place? 

I gave up on art at about 16 after fluffing my school art class, I was a little shit and just didn't show up to any lessons. I started drawing again about a year and a half ago and after somehow getting into a creative role at a commercial illustration company my friend worked at I thought, fuck this... commercial illustration/greeting cards is not at all what I want to be doing. Anyway, I've post a recent piece below - I'm so self critical I hate posting stuff, but I gotta learn to get stuff out there, I guess. The second piece is a sort of companion piece WIP (I'm doing these posters based on beers that I love and my favourite local bar has said they'll put them up on the walls).

Anyways, eventually I'd like to be doing entertainment industry concept stuff and illustrations (as would most people here I'm sure), so I gotta start pushing in that direction. 

Look forward to my stay and getting to know you all / being active in the community! RUSTED STEEL onwards!

Attached Files Image(s)

Yo there Beardyish - welcome to The Crimson Daggers!

That's some mighty-fine brush-work right there dude!

I recommend starting up a sketchbook and using it as a study tool - it can be really helpful to post "in progress" and "exploratory" stuff as well as finished pieces.

I wouldn't worry about posting stuff that you feel bad about either - you should see the half-baked stuff I come out with!

Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff.

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

From the looks of your work, seems like your journey began quite a long time ago. And this place is something you've been led to. Regardless, welcome to the Crimson Daggers!

Quote:I'm so self critical I hate posting stuff, but I gotta learn to get stuff out there, I guess.

I hear you. I don't post finished works as well for the same reason.. I'm my own worst critic and somebody crapping all over my work can feel unsettling. I mean, it's cool! Share your stuff whenever you feel like you're ready.

Good thing about being here, I learned (learning) not to be so precious about the work. I was so protective of my work, my so called artist "integrity", that it just impeded my growth. Hey man! Here's hoping you stay active! There's the sketchbook section and the monthly challenge (Crimson Crucible) just started!

See you around!

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
Thanks for the welcome! I definitely intend to stay active.

I didn't get a chance to do much yesterday, renovating my workspace all day pooped me out. Sketchbook incoming. I'd love to do the crucible too...never really done an environment/architectural piece, so i'm sure it'll be an opportunity for some great crit.

See ya in the other sections!