Learning
About the line issue.. First I've a background in product design and we were not allowed any rulers because our teachers believed that as a designer you should be able to pop out quick sketches in front of a client and make quick a lot of iterations. That being said, also think it should be balance between speed and accuracy. And both takes time to learn.

What you can try is mapping out the main perspective lines with a ruler, so you know those are correct and than draw boxes using those lines. So you don't spend a lot of time moving around your ruler and you still increase accuracy bit you also have something that is correct and you can hold on to

Quote:Couldn't draw for 2 days because of college stuff. Trying to get used to the college schedule, I got so tired after class that I slept immediately. Hopefully I'll get used to it over next week.

Draw in class! Show your work and bug your seatmates by asking, "Dude, why doesn't this work?"! If your professor snatches your drawing, ask him "Dude, can I ask for an art critique while you're at it?". While dropping the deuce, bring your pen, draw on the walls of the stall!

Hey I didn't say it was good advice!

But seriously, if you really want to draw there's always drawing time during lunch. But it's college! You'll see less people after you're done with it anyway! Forge relationships! Broaden your network! Just have fun! I swear your life experiences will come in handy in art!

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
[Image: tumblr_o7hvso8s0R1vuqs63o1_540.jpg][Image: tumblr_o7hvso8s0R1vuqs63o2_1280.jpg][Image: tumblr_o7hvso8s0R1vuqs63o3_1280.jpg]

I hope I'm doing these right. I think I'm doing it right at least
[Image: tumblr_o7ix3v7ORr1vuqs63o1_1280.jpg]

I did this one while the music was on, tried out getting myself used to small distractions and getting less nervous.
Superimposing lines, the last ones are better than the first ones on the top left (went down and then right)
but still I need to keep practicing.
[Image: tumblr_o7ix3v7ORr1vuqs63o2_1280.jpg]
after doing one more page of this, I loosened myself up on the 3rd page by doing a few ellipses. I read from drawabox that, after ghosting, I should draw around multiple times, so that's how I'll do my ellipses from now on.
so 3 pages total and took me ~ 25 min.

Now I'm going to start up and finish the school work I have today and come back drawing.

(also thank you for the 2 previous comments! Sorry I couldn't reply to them though, I think this site has been going under some maintenance or something)
oh geez I haven't been drawing at all.
It's mostly because the exercises, I thought I would be able to handle them but after a few days just drawing lines, I felt too miserable.
I don't know if it's me or how I was doing it.

So I think I will jump ahead and study the things that are 'interesting' like anatomy and figures drawing and also do lines and perspective at the same time.
I hope this isn't a bad thing and I'm worried about what others will think of me doing this to be honest.

[Image: tumblr_o7y9rwUGQz1vqu9uwo1_1280.jpg]so yeah this is a quick sketch I did today after doing some of my school work. I'm aiming to be more patient and add detail/measure more.
Hi DarlingDove! its good to see you posting again.  Thumbs_up I know how you feel, learning the basic fundamentals can be.... tedious and un-motivating at times. I think its really good that you are drawing what you like to draw, and if you keep at it you WILL improve! I also felt the same way when I was learning these basic exercises, but I decided to just draw what I enjoyed. Of course still study the fundamentals but try and incorporate what you enjoy to draw into the fundamentals. And I see you are already doing this, good work! and keep drawing! Thumbs_up

Hey guys long time no see

I kind of got those once in a few months 'fed ups' where you don't draw anything for a week or so.
Yeah... But I remembered that art is a progress unique to the individual and its ok to take a longer time to get good, well except you never stop improving/practicing.

Over the weeks I've been studying 3D modeling actually and it was quite fun. I'm just wrapping up the beginner parts and challenging myself to go to the intermediate parts of 3D modeling/animation.
Now I'm just cooling down from a burn out and decided to copy some sketches and I was a bit surprised that I remember ghosting or was still able to use it instead of messy sketching.

[Image: tumblr_o8pryhIq2Z1vqu9uwo1_1280.jpg]

I'm probably going to go practice some more for a few days and then go back to modeling and so on.
(05-30-2016, 10:05 AM)CTrow Wrote: Hi DarlingDove! its good to see you posting again.  Thumbs_up I know how you feel, learning the basic fundamentals can be.... tedious and un-motivating at times. I think its really good that you are drawing what you like to draw, and if you keep at it you WILL improve! I also felt the same way when I was learning these basic exercises, but I decided to just draw what I enjoyed. Of course still study the fundamentals but try and incorporate what you enjoy to draw into the fundamentals. And I see you are already doing this, good work! and keep drawing! Thumbs_up

Thanks so much, and sorry for the late reply.
I read up some article and it basically said that quantity is better than quality, and I remember last month being really worried about the quality of my studies/practices that I got burned out. So no more worrying about that.

I missed you guys, I hope things are going well for you too!
If you're having trouble with motivation after a slump what I usually do is focus on a part of my art I am absolutely horrid at and break it down to the most basic of exercises. Improvement because of how awful I am at that aspect comes quickly,  which kind of quenches my thirst for progress and allows me to trust in the process of slow and often very loosely guided improvement. Maybe something lIke this is worth a try?
(06-14-2016, 12:48 PM)Pax Wrote: If you're having trouble with motivation after a slump what I usually do is focus on a part of my art I am absolutely horrid at and break it down to the most basic of exercises. Improvement because of how awful I am at that aspect comes quickly,  which kind of quenches my thirst for progress and allows me to trust in the process of slow and often very loosely guided improvement. Maybe something lIke this is worth a try?

I'll give this a try, thanks for the advice!

For most of June and July, I've been modeling. It was a pretty good experience and I learned how to be more patient and take more time on things.

This time I'm using multiple resources and exercises to learn. I'm using Mike Mattessi and Proko for figure drawing, and also drawabox for general drawing.

[Image: tumblr_oa61kvtH6f1vuqs63o1_1280.jpg]

This is one of my pages out of the many.
A month ago I joined Last Artist Standing. Its basically a place where you commit to drawing everyday and posting one of your drawings.
It's pretty good and I improved a bit from it as well as learning somethings

[Image: tumblr_obapmq2P9z1vqu9uwo1_540.png]